Fondant Vs. Glazed Cookies

Baking By toleshed Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm by toleshed

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering what everyones opinions are with this. The glazed are so sweet to me but I was looking through a couple of my cookie books with glazed decorated cookies, and they are just so beautiful.

6 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 7

I think it depends on the look you want, and how much time you want to put into your decorating. I don't personally like to eat a cookie with fondant on it, but I do like glazed ones. Plus I like the look of the glazed ones, so that's what I do. If you're in a hurry, or if you like the taste of them with fondant on them, do that. You're really you're own best judge of what you like, and if in doubt, bake a batch of cookies and decorate them both ways to make up your mind. icon_smile.gif Plus you get to eat cookies that way.

Deanna

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 7

Deanna and I are completely opposite! icon_smile.gif I don't like glazed cookies and I don't like decorating with it. I do love eating fondant-covered cookies and I love decorating with it. There are certain designs that work better with each, but it's definitely just personal preference.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 7

I prefer glazed cookies myself....fondant is okay, but I think you can do so much more with royal icining-JMHO!

toleshed Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7

Very interesting. I already do fondant ones. But the ones in the books are just so pretty

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

Correct me if I'm thinking wrong, but Fondant, Glaze, and Royal Icing I consider 3 different types of decorating. I prefer Toba's glaze as the base on my cookies and piping and detail work goes to Royal Icing.
I only tried fondant once, no one was crazy about it. I will admit fondant was easier to work with. I have'nt mastered the thinning, or thickness of Royal Icing yet. I do love the way it grabs coloring though.
I seen some people use just Toba's for base, piping and detail on the cookie and some use just Royal Icing for everything. I don't know where I came to put both on, but I get more compliments on taste for them. I'm sure it came somewhere on CC. Maybe it cuts down on the sweetness. I don't know.
Carleen

toleshed Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 7

yes, they are 3 different types. That is my question - what each person prefers before decorating with RI. Fondant or glaze. I prefer the taste of fondant, less sweet. But the glazed are so pretty. And when I run out of fondant, I think "oh yuck! I have to make more fondant". icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%