Got Any Ideas For A "daddy" Shower....mike? Doug?

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 35

My cousin works w/ the new dad to be. They don't know what they are having and she wants a cake for a shower for him. Honey Bees is the nursery theme and the colors are yellow and sage green. Should I just do a beehive or something sort of masculine since it's for the daddy? It needs to serve 20 and she doesn't want to spend more than $40....any advice appreciated!!! icon_lol.gif

34 replies
Michelle104 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 35

No one has any ideas or opiniions???? icon_cry.gif

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 35

How about a bee hive cake?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #4 of 35

Could you do like a "stinger" or "fighting" bee like some schools have as their mascot? Instead of doing something real cutesy? It might be funny to still do a bee and try to make it "manly". Of course you can always just do something very simple too - maybe just a cake with a few bees on the sides or something like that. I know a lot of men don't care about how the cake is decorated - as long as it tastes good! of course, that's not every man - some do care - but I don't know this guy, so I couldn't tell ya. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Michelle104 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #5 of 35

imartsy! You're probably right. I'm thinking a little too much about the design I guess. I don't know this guy either but in general you're right about them not really caring about the details. I think I'll just do the beehive and make some bees out of royal and put them on wires around it. I have some really pretty sage green embossed wrapping paper that I think I'll use to cover the cake board with and then contact paper. Some yellow ribbon for the edge and we're good to go! icon_lol.gif How's that sound?? icon_confused.gif

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 35

Does it have to follow the nursery theme?

If not, what about doing like a tool belt or tool box with baby supplies in it.... I can just picture a tool belt with a chain with baby keys on it; bottles, pacifiers, and a "booger getter" stuck in the compartments. (sorry, don't know what the real name for it is...just know how to use one....) (haha) You could put a cutesy title on it or something.... ???

Just a thought....

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:42am
post #7 of 35

I saw the cutest onesie and of course it went straight into the brain under cake ideas icon_lol.gif It said My Dad Rocks and it had a monkey playing guitar and a giraffe with headphones and a mic. This daddy was musically inclined. I think the idea could still work for others too. My onesie cake in my pics was for a daddy shower. Luckily the baby was a boy so I just did a baby cake in all blue and white!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

If not, what about doing like a tool belt or tool box with baby supplies in it.... I can just picture a tool belt with a chain with baby keys on it; bottles, pacifiers, and a "booger getter" stuck in the compartments. (sorry, don't know what the real name for it is...just know how to use one....) (haha) You could put a cutesy title on it or something.... ???

Just a thought....

I dito knel... how cute would that be! Not sure if that would fit in with her budget, but it sure would be cute!!!

Michelle104 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannastreats

Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

Just a thought....

I dito knel... how cute would that be! Not sure if that would fit in with her budget, but it sure would be cute!!!

I love this idea....the budget thing though. Do you think there's any way I could do this for $40? I'm wrackin my brain here! If not I'm definitely filing this one for future reference! It would be so cute! Wrack your brains guys.....could I in anyway do it for $40????? icon_confused.gif

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #10 of 35

just a quick think - all the guy stuff things he will be missing out on? Nights out with the boys, beer, car shows, TV, hours spent in his workshop doing whatever, just whatever he is into. Maybe you could play on the words 'kiss your past goodbye'.
Or like some other posters have suggested, baby stuff. Something that really highlights his new role in life!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #11 of 35

duplicate post icon_surprised.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #12 of 35

Michelle, I like the idea of a toolbox with pacifiers and diapers in it or around it, myself.

But.....are you sure we're not working on the same cake? lol icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6017218-.html#6017218

knel Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 35

How large of a cake do you need to feed approx. 40 people? If you do a tool box, could you get by with maybe 2 9X13 sheets stacked, and then a 3rd one at an angle on top, with baby things coming out and laying around on the cakeboard...? As far as the baby items, I know how everyone likes everything edible on a cake, but you could buy baby items at a dollar store for next to nothing. That way, the parents can use the items later.... I would keep the fondant to a minimum... ice the toolbox in BC, and maybe only have the handle and hinges made from fondant? This might save some money, and your time.

???

Please post a pic and let me know what you decided to do. Good luck!!!! I kinda want to do one of these now, myself... icon_surprised.gif)

briannastreats Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 35

Hmmm..... to stay within $40, what if you did a round cake (in whatever size you need) then wrap a fondant tool belt around the cake, and just have baby things hanging from it. You could even do fondant pockets hanging with a bottle or diaper inside....

I can't wait to see a picture!!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 35

I saw a super cute onsie on TV that said -

'Hi daddy see you in 9 months'.

You could carve a onsie or draw it onto a sheet cake depending on the number of servings you need. You could incorporate the nursrey theme on the onsie or the background of the sheet cake... adjust the number of months for when she is due.

Edited: I just read the 20 servings- a single layer 9x13 would be enough cake even if you carved it a little.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #16 of 35

OOOOOO I GOT IT!!!!!!!

Ok, so like the PP suggested, make your round cake, and cover with fondant, I suggest a light pastel color green, yellow, or blue. Then make your tool belt to go around the cake out of brown fondant. Make a couple of loops and pockets for the belt.

Then ask the person ordering the cake to go to Walmart and grab a couple of those essientials, like the booger picker (I dont know the technical term either), and small flat package of wipes, washcloths, nail clippers, etc. All the cheap stuff, like under $2, tell her to grab like 6-10 things. Then wash it really well and stick the real stuff on the cake to decorate! Stick your wipes in a pocket, the clippers on a loop. The best part is that he will be able to use all of that stuff, and you arent killing yourself trying to make a bunch of fondant figurines, you are just making the belt part.

Does that help at all?

knel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #17 of 35

I think that is a fabulous plan!!! Wish I knew someone who was having a baby to do a daddy cake for now...

Hmmm... maybe this will be how I "surprise" my husband with news of the next child we have....

knel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #18 of 35

You could even make the main cake, a square cake, and make it look like a block with a different pastel color on each side, with ABC on it... Then wrap the tool belt around it.

We could go on and on about this one....

Michelle104 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:29am
post #19 of 35

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif I'm getting really excited about this now! I LOVE the tool belt thing...and I think I kind of like the block idea with the tool belt around it! I could put bees on the block, not a lot of them, but just a few to help tie in the nursery theme as well. Thanks so much guys for all the inspiration! I'll let you know when I post a pic and maybe I can figure out how to post in the forum!!! LOL!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Michelle104 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #20 of 35

OK! So now I think I like the block idea but the more I think about it.....it would be sooooo much easier to put the tool belt around a round cake right? So I think I'll do that one. Should I do a 4 inch high 8 in round? Or I could do a single layer 8 and a single layer 6?? I need 20 servings..prolly already said that...sorry! icon_redface.gif Thanks for letting me continually pick your brains!!!! icon_razz.gif

knel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #21 of 35

I think I would stick with the 4" tall 8" round... my personal opinion. I think it would just be easier to get the belt to "sit" up around it. I'm excited about this one for you. Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Michelle104 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #22 of 35

I'm excited too! It's not due until the 28th so I have more time to do it over and over in my head!! icon_lol.gif The more I think about it the bigger and better it gets icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif .....but then I remember the budget icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif We'll see if I can hold out!!! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif Ok...so now next ????

Cute kind of saying to put on the cake???? Anyone????

knel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #23 of 35

Sometimes a little "pro bono" added to a cake helps the business... icon_biggrin.gif

knel Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:16pm
post #24 of 35

How about "Tools for the Trade" ??? These are "new" tools for "trading" regular manly tools for the new "trade" of being Daddy...

Was that confusing??? It sounded right in my head.... LOL

Michelle104 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #25 of 35

KNEL!!!!! I love that!!! "Tools for the trade!" And I definitely agree about the "pro bono" thing!!! Plus I'm still kind of letting people know about this so I'm thinking that maybe you're right! icon_razz.gif Plus I almost can't stand the thought of skimpin on it.... icon_lol.gif

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #26 of 35

OK so I just saw this and I am throwing a Daddy shower in September for my best friend and the tool belt was what I was going to create (I literally awoke from a deep sleep to sketch it out b/c it popped into my head then) guess it's not as original as I thought BUT I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea!!!!

GOOD LUCK on yours

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #27 of 35

I like the tool belt idea.

Another idea:

Is that daddy into cars?

My son had registered for a Jeep stroller when he and his wife were expecting my grand daughter. We also bought them a little baby t-shirt that had a black stroller on it with wire rims, chrome, etc. - like a car - and it said "That's how we roll!" How about a baby stroller cake all "pimped" out?

briannastreats Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

KNEL!!!!! I love that!!! "Tools for the trade!" And I definitely agree about the "pro bono" thing!!! Plus I'm still kind of letting people know about this so I'm thinking that maybe you're right! icon_razz.gif Plus I almost can't stand the thought of skimpin on it.... icon_lol.gif

Ooohhh... how about something like:
Trading in your toolbelt... for NEW tools of the trade!

I wish I had a daddy shower to bake for also! I too agree about adding in some extra for 'pro bono'. I tend to do that every now and then... I basically write it up as this is the cost, but this is the cost to you (my friend). That way, if/when they refer me, they know to tell the person what the 'actual' price would have been, not what they paid with my 'pro bono' discount.

Can't wait to see a the final cake!!!

Michelle104 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:54am
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

I like the tool belt idea.

Another idea:

Is that daddy into cars?

My son had registered for a Jeep stroller when he and his wife were expecting my grand daughter. We also bought them a little baby t-shirt that had a black stroller on it with wire rims, chrome, etc. - like a car - and it said "That's how we roll!" How about a baby stroller cake all "pimped" out?

Love the "pimped" stroller!!! I'm gonna have to find out now what his interests are...... icon_razz.gif hhhhmmmmmm...... so excited about this cake!!!!

Michelle104 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #30 of 35

OK Guys! Check it out!! It's in my pics!!! I can't figure out how to load in the forums.... icon_redface.gif It was sooo fun!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%