Royal Icing Daisies

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm by pkingham72

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:39am
post #1 of 16

I'm making a couple of cakes for a reception Sunday & the lady asked if I could do anything with daisies. My thing is I took the course 2 (and didn't finish) about 3 yrs ago! Since I don't do much in the flower dept I dusted off the stuff & book & my daisies are a disaster! The ones in the book look so pretty & the edges of the petals are rounded, mine are pointed. My RI is med consistency, but this is a nightmare---sure this good southern summer doesn't help any. But since I'm a visual person, I was wondering if anyone knows of a youtube video or has any pictures that could guide me through this "simple" process? The instructions in the book have me totally confused. Thanks!

15 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #2 of 16

For when you need to know this.. I am a wilton teacher and I have a Youtube page..I can try and make a video for ...but not sure I can this week..I can try!
Here is my Youtube link just in case...

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:58am
post #3 of 16

My daisies always turn out with jagged edges, too. If you put a little cornstarch or ps on your fingers, you can shape the ends of the petals. Takes a lot of time, but I can't make mine any other way, they just look awful. I'm no help on the youtube front, sorry. icon_redface.gif Good luck!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #4 of 16

I'm a Wilton Instructor and my daisies don't look like the ones in the book!!! I don't know where those came from! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

But seriously...try hold the tip almost flat against the flower nail - know what I mean? See if that helps. And start from the outer edge (outside of the flower nail) and pull inwards towards the center just a little bit.

You could also try doing this with a round tip. Like maybe #5 - ? That may help if you want a rounded petal edge.

HTH & good luck! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:07am
post #5 of 16

I have an easier way of doing them...but I will post in Youtube..I dont know how to explain it here ..has to be seen..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:21am
post #6 of 16

Can wait for the video!

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:24am
post #7 of 16

I'll post it when is done..You can subscribe to my You tube page too..
Edna

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 16

I'm also a WMI and I am still unsure how they got the ones pictured on the book. It certainally wasn't following those directions. icon_smile.gif

When I pipe them my bag is more at a 90* angle if not more 45* in the other direction. I basicly tilt the bag until the tip opening is parallel to the flower nail. You want your tip pretty close to the flower nail as well, or you get tall petals instead of thin ones.

You can also pipe them with the large end of the tip out and the smaller on going into the middle. Some people like this look better and find them looking more daisy-ish.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 16

I find that with just about every flower in the Wilton course book - particularly the rosebud, for which the instructions seem vastly different from the picture of the final product. Could they be Photoshopped pics in their manuals - ? If I recall correctly, I think my teacher told us to hold the bag in a different way than described in the book for the daisy. I'm sorry that I can't remember exactly what the difference was. I seem to think that the instructions said to make the petals by doing one action (like going from the outside in), and we were told to do the opposite (something like making the petals moving from the centre out).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 16

I always show moving the tip from the out in to the middle, no matter which way you have the tip turned. For me it is the bag postion that needs help.

The pictures and directions in the books are different because they had two different departments working on them and they put them together at the end. You shouldn't use the pictures as a guide of where to put your tips (usually) because on some things like the rose the tips/bag is in the wrong postion in the books. My guess is cause it was easier to photograph with it at 3 o'clock instead of at 4:30 where it should be.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks. I'll check out your youtube for sure tonedna. As for my book, it doesn't show the position of the bag, just a little picture in the top corner of the picture of the daisy (is that what you're referring to)? I have tried going from the outer edge to the inner edge & they look a little better, but the centers were a big blob when I went from the inner edge to the outer edge. I'll try again after I make another batch of RI

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks Edna, I look forward to seeing your tutorial. I always have a problem not with the petals but the center where they converge -- it gets gloppy. Ah, more practice... icon_rolleyes.gif

tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #13 of 16

OK girls..the video is in Youtube..I started a thread for it..Here it is
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6015795.html#6015795

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #14 of 16

Thank you Edna!! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #15 of 16

Anytime!..Glad to help

pkingham72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkingham72 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #16 of 16

My WMI gave me a great tip for this. Hold your bag with the small end of the tip toward the center and then squeeze pulling toward the center. It worked really well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%