Help With Pan Sizes!!!!

Decorating By carmenid Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 12:05pm by karateka

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #1 of 9

4 tiered Round Wedding cake for 260 guests. The top tier they are keeping for their anniversary. What size pans would you use? I have the Wilton's serving chart in front of me and I just can't figure out what pans to use without going too big or too small!! and they also have to look good and proportioned... help please!

8 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:03am
post #2 of 9

Here's what I do.

I can do this, for x servings. Or I can do that, for y servings. Then I let her pick.

Rarely will you get an exact number of servings. You need to tell her what's possible in order to get the look and close to the # of servings she needs, then let her make the command decision.

Or that's my $0.02

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:23am
post #3 of 9

Whenever I am faced with this, I consult Earlene's chart:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Her servings are sometimes a bit larger then normal but if you look at the far right column, it gives different round combo's properly spaced to give you a set amount of servings, not including the top tier.......looks like if you are sticking to 4 layers, you are looking at an 18, 15, 12, 8 to serve 260 exactly. HTH

carmenid Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #4 of 9

This is very helpful, Thank you ladies!

carmenid Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #5 of 9

The number was reduced to 160 guests. I used Earlene's Chart to determine the pan sizes and ordered sizes 16 - 13 - 10 - 7...the pans are HUGE...I am afraid that the cake is going to be massive, wide and bulky looking.

Any tips when working with pans this big?

karateka Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:58am
post #6 of 9

I think those pan sizes are fine. Yes, it's a big cake, but the proportions are good and I don't think it will be bulky at all. Check out this cake in my portfolio. It's about the same size.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=537273

Be careful when flipping the big layers over or putting on the top layer. Use a rimless cookie sheet to help you. You might consider using a flower nail in the 16in round to help the center bake. I don't usually need one, but some people swear by them.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics... thumbs_up.gif

carmenid Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 9

Nice cake and thanks for the tip.

This is my second wedding cake, guess I am just a little paranoid.

carmenid Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:05am
post #8 of 9

how tall should the cake layers be? 4 inches?? what is the rule?

karateka Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 9

There is no "rule". When I bake, my layers are around 1 1/2 in or so tall. Once I fill and ice the cake, each tier is about 4 inches. Depending on your recipes or how you prefer to do it, yours may be different.

Some bakers bake in 3in cake pans and torte.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%