Black Fondant ?

Decorating By toodlesjupiter Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm by toodlesjupiter

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #1 of 7

I am in the process of making some pieces for a cake out of black fondant, and it is drying more like a dark gray. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyway to prevent it? Can I spray with Wilton spray to make it dark again? Any suggestions? I really don't want to hand paint tons of curly cues if there is an easier way. Also, the store ran out of the brand of fondant I usually buy and I had to get Satin Ice black, and they are drying 2 different shades. Aack! Ay ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is my first wedding cake and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed already! TIA!

6 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 7

I use the black Satin Ice, and haven't had any problems w/ it... however, if you do make things in advance, and allow them to dry and they sit for a few days, they will fade a little bit. Is it something you need to make ahead of time, or can you make them closer to the delivery date? I'm not familiar w/ the Wilton spray, so I can't help you there.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 7

I have tried the Wilton black spray and it barely comes out even grey...and even that took many coats. I finally gave up (and I tried two different cans). Not to mention, it can make the piece very wet, espec if you live in a humid climate, like Houston.
I use Satin Ice black. I haven't made anything so early that it faded ('cause I usually push to the last minute - some old design school habits never die! ha!), but I would think maybe a touch-up of black paste coloring lightly brushed on to bring back the color and put a bit of sheen on it?
Best of luck to you! Be sure to post your results. icon_smile.gif
Peace,
wendl

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:25am
post #4 of 7

I have used black satin ice fondant and didn't have any problems. icon_smile.gif Maybe you just got a bad batch. icon_sad.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #5 of 7

I use Satin Ice black and have never had this happen to me. I would actually THINK the wilton spray would be ok since you are starting with a color fondant that is already close to black? I havent used it so I can't say 100%. Good luck!

toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone! I ended up just brushing the edges that will be showing with a food color/gin mixture(I'm out of vodka), and they look way better. I was freaking out cause they are for a cake this weekend, and they took hours to make. I didn't want to have to redo them along with all of the gazillion other things I have to do this week! With these, I actually made them ahead, thinking I was on the ball not waiting to the last minute like I usually do. icon_rolleyes.gif I even covered them once dry to keep them away from the light hoping they wouldn't fade, but I guess that didn't help. Anyway, Thank you all for your help.

toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 7

One more thing... I used Tylose powder in my fondant to help it dry quicker, do you think that could have caused it to fade more? Just trying to figure it out for next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%