Help!! I Need To Make A Disco Ball

Decorating By kassaa94 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 1:59am by bizatchgirl

kassaa94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kassaa94 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 5

I have an order for next week for a disco ball cake. Any ideas? I am doing it in a grocery store bakery, so...they won't let me bake the cake in a round bowl like I would if it was my own setup. I was wondering if I could sculpt one from 8" rounds like you do for a barbie cake and put the cakes together to make the round ball. Please help. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I even wondered if I could make a huge cake ball - lol. The customer will be happy with whatever I can come up with. They are surprising their mom with a disco party for her 50th birthday and this will be more of the centerpiece cake than anything else. Thanks y'all. Kathy - Georgia

4 replies
amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #2 of 5

don't know about the ball part - but I am thinking small mosaic tiles cut in time for them to dry and then stuck on all over and painted with lustre or disco dust....

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 5

I had to sculpt a round top Rocket (Little Einsteins). I did it by mixing the cake I'd leveled off with icing so that it would stick together. Then I used a bowl to kind of form it. I hope your cake comes out great, I can't wait to see it. The idea of a disco ball just sounds cool!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #4 of 5

Can you make the disco ball on a styrofoam dummy and then place it on a Sheet Cake? (maybe that has been made to look like the Disco Floor...with the different colored panels?)

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #5 of 5

Oh, thought of one thing. Could you mold white chocolate in a bowl to get your round shape? Then you could make tiles out of fondant and lustre dust them like PP said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%