Tried To Make A Fairy And She Looks Like Crap!!!

Decorating By maryak Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm by maryak

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #1 of 23

I'm feeling pretty low at the moment so sorry about this post in advance. I tried making a fairy last night and followed the instructions in the articles, I wanted to make Tinkerbell but she ended up looking more like a skinny troll! I have no idea how you guys make moulded characters look so good and I don't think I ever will. The lines in my fondant are still visible and the arms and legs always look like they should be in casts or wheelchairs. I have no idea how to make a good moulded character. There's nowhere I can go and learn, everytime I try to get into a class, they either get cancelled cause there's not enough people, too full before I even get a chance to apply, or the teacher tells me that it's not on her list of priorities because her husband walked out on her at Christmas (yes that really happened!!).

If anyone has any tips they could give me I'd really appreciate it. I can't believe how depressed I am about this!!

TIA
Mary

22 replies
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 23

Look at the figures by Anie2 click on her website ,she also has some free video,s /youtubes to watch. Im sure it will help her work is just fantastic!

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 23

Did you look at the fairy tutorial here? You could also buy one of aine2's tutorials. I think her figures are the best! thumbs_up.gif
I am no where near a pro at figures, but I learned by studying other peoples finished products and trying to de-construct them in my head. There was also a lot of trial and error! My first figures are really, really elementary. I can't believe I even put them on cakes!! icon_redface.gif
Don't get so down. You'll do better next time you try! At least now you know what not to do. thumbs_up.gif
good luck!

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 23
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #5 of 23

Don't give up. It takes some practice, experimenting with what works best for you, and lots of patience!

first of all what are you using to make your fairy? Are you using straight fondant, 50/50 gumpaste and fondant or something else?

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #6 of 23

Sorry I postd her CC name wrong the 1st time its aine2's If you scroll down to the bottom of the link I posted She has free videos to watch maybe it will help in what your needing.

maryak Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #7 of 23

Thanks for all the advice and links guys. I really appreciate it.

Price, I'm using straight fondant. Does this matter in the end result, should I be mixing it with something else?

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #8 of 23

aine2, a member here at CC has some tutorials. Her web site is http://extra-icing.blogspot.com/ She has some tutorials there, for free, and some you can buy. You can see her hand technique for free, and some molding techniques for animals and flowers. Her stuff is phenomenal. You can buy her tutorials online for the people and they come via email within 24 hours. The people who've used them do great work and say great things.

bizatchgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #9 of 23

icon_redface.gif My boyfriend stole the computer for something and by the time I posted, everyone else had already answered! At least we can see that great minds think alike! I definitely think adding gumpaste makes a huge difference in doing anything with fondant. It holds it's shape better and is easier to make it do what you want.

maryak Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #10 of 23

Thank you very much bizatchgirl, I had no idea that fondant on it's own wasn't good enough, no wonder everything was turning out so droopy!!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #11 of 23

I have just started to make fondant characters and I feel your frustration. All I can say is don't give up! I know it is hard to keep trying when others seem to come to it naturally. Start with something smaller and less complicated. I first started with a bumble bee, I found it on youtube. But, don't give up. I am sure with practice you can do it. From what I saw in your pictures it looks like you will not be having problems for long.

bizatchgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #12 of 23

Exactly! Gumpaste will help eliminate that droop. Be careful though and find a good blend. Too much gumpaste will dry too quickly for you to work with.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #13 of 23

I use Satin Ice and add just a small amount of Tylose powder. It's seems to give the fondant a little more elasticity and I don't get quite as many wrinkles or lines. I have done plenty of figures with just fondant, but now that I add the Tylose, I find it a little easier to work with and it helps it to harden a little faster.

I made my first figures back in 2006. When I look back over my pictures I can definitely see improvement from then until now, but I still have a very, very long way to go! Hang in there and keep working at it.

I agree that Aine2 is the Guru of figure modeling! Her tutorials are a great source of information.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #14 of 23

Just keep on trying. You will get it. I have been doing a few things with Playdoug lately to get the perspectives going. It's easier to play with playdough while on the computer watching a streaming video.

I did a figure last year it was really bad, I made 3 little green men (LGM's) from Buzz Lightyear and those worked out fine. I did a few more this year and now I think I am getting a better handle on it.
I really liked my Curious George last monht. I have to make a few hero's this week. I hope it all works out and I dont have to use miniature toys.... LOL.

Good Luck.

maryak Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:38am
post #15 of 23

Thank you all so much for your advise and support. I know the key is patience and perseverance but I just got so depressed. I'm feeling better know and I'm off to watch the YouTube vid.

Thanks again and gateaux good luck with your hero's!!

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #16 of 23

Also you can go to a book store or library and get polymer clay crafting books. I have seen them at Michaels and they show you step by step instructions.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryak

If anyone has any tips they could give me I'd really appreciate it. I can't believe how depressed I am about this!!

TIA
Mary

Practice! It's the only way to get better! Clay sculpty books help.
Aine2's tutorials are great.
http://www.lorraine-icingonthecake.co.uk/masterclasses/tutorials.htm

maryak Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm
post #18 of 23

Thanks traceyjade, I'll have a look around. Unfortunately we don't have a Michaels here in Australia and cake decorating books are very limited. I have a few that my Mum had when she was decorating but I'm an impatient perfectionist if that makes sense. I want everything to be perfect RIGHT NOW!! And I get very frustrated with myself if I don't get it right. I'll keep on trying though anad I won't give up!!

Thanks dabear, I had a look at AINE2's website, I think she's great!! I'm gonna go and give it a go.

Thanks again everyone, your help is very much appreciated. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #19 of 23

Maryak, I spent the day today with Aine2 in one of her workshop. She mentioned she is has plans to teach some classes in Australia next year, if you are interested you should let her know. I think she said she would be teaching at Planet Cake. She is really talented, a great teacher and very nice!

Sara

maryak Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #20 of 23

Hey Sara, I know!! I'm so excited, I sent her an email a couple of days ago!! I can't wait!

maryak Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #21 of 23

Hey Sara, I know!! I'm so excited, I sent her an email a couple of days ago!! I can't wait!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #22 of 23

oh if i could plan a vacation around that...sigh...a trip to australia(though the spider population kinda freaks me out!!) AND a tutorial/class with anie2 herself!!! sigh...maybe when i can save up some more pennies-or maybe she could come to my neck of the woods!

maryak Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #23 of 23

Hee hee, the spiders aren't that bad!! You should try to make it, I don't know when exactly she's coming out but I think it'll be such a great experience. I think she is or was in Texas, check out her website. She might still be there, that's a lot closer! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%