$300??? What Do You Think?

Decorating By AmyGonzalez Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm by fearlessbaker

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 26

A lady wants for me to make her niece's quincerniera cake. She wants a 3 tier BC cake with fondant decorations in a vagas theme, and a pair of dice on the top tier. Her budget is only $300-$400. She wants it to feed 300 people. That would put it at about only $1.00- $1.30 a serving. Is this lady crazy? icon_confused.gif What do you think?

25 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 26

Sounds pretty crazy to me! If her budget is only $300-$400 sounds like she should invite fewer people....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 26

she's crazy.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 26

My COST per serving generally runs around $1.15, depending on flavors. She's crazy.

AmyGonzalez Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 26

I kinda feel bad for her, cause I work with her. When she came to me she was all excited and so was I until she told me her budget.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #6 of 26

If she says $400 you tell her $450. Then scale back on the decorations.
I was a bill collector for a few years, people say they only have so much $$, but when they think they are getting a deal (or a good settlement on a debt) they find it. If you draw up two sketches... you can have this plain cake for $xxx or this over the top cake for $xxx more I'm sure she'll pay the extra... Good Luck!

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:52am
post #7 of 26

foxymamma521 that's excellent advise. I am always too scared to lose a customer so I always quote really low and then when they agree always kick myself for not going higher cause they would have actually paid for it!!! I'm gonna keep this in mind for next time!!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #8 of 26

That definately is way to cheap. The fondant alone would raise the prices. In the south texas area, they have padrinos for everything, so she should be able to get more money. Thats only $1 a slice. Even if you charged $1.50 per slice, that would be $450. I'd tell her no. I've made a cake that large, and it took me all day to decorate. Thats way to much work for little money. I've had several people call me, but when I tell them my prices, they sometimes don't call back. Yeah it hurts my pocket book, but I'd rather not do it. These people will talk to others and when they tell them how much they paid, they'll call and expect the same price. Its risky.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryak

foxymamma521 that's excellent advise. I am always too scared to lose a customer so I always quote really low and then when they agree always kick myself for not going higher cause they would have actually paid for it!!! I'm gonna keep this in mind for next time!!

Glad to hear it! icon_biggrin.gif

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #10 of 26

I quoted a price the other day for a party planner (the first one I have ever worked with) and she did not even flinch at the price. It was the first time I charged what I was worth. I had told myself that I was not going to continue under charging for my cakes. I know they are good and I don't promise anything that I can not do. This is the first cake order I am actually happy about, go figure.

$300-$400 for a cake for 300 is not enough. Charge what you are worth and what the cake is worth. You will be happier for it when you get other orders from this one and not have to undercharge for your work.

AmyGonzalez Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #11 of 26

It's funny too, cause she told me she has the cake booked with another person. icon_eek.gif She had a consult with another lady and the lady is just going to do a plain white BC cake and incorporate vagas colors, but would not use fondant. She even told me that the lady wanted to incorporate stairs and a fountiain. (just my opinion, but yuck!) They are having a modern quincerneria, and she did not like the stair and fountain idea, also the girl I work with has seen my work and knows what I can do, so she asked me if I could think about doing the cake for her, but she still has the other cake booked. icon_confused.gif I think she is just tring to get an awesome cake for a cheap price.

lisa78332 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:15am
post #12 of 26

Seems to me, she is definately trying to get a cheaper cake. In our area, it is common to use stairs. But, I think the lady that contacted me, didn't like that I told her it would be an extra deposit of $100 for the items I am using on the cake. ie, the fountain, tiers, plates, etc. I don't know who she is, and wouldn't want to lose my items. Its already happened once. However, I think because she stated that she had her own stairs and people, I would come down on the price. If she calls you back, I'd recommend to definately give her the price you'd be happy with.

AmyGonzalez Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #13 of 26

I totally understand about asking for a deposit for using items for cake set ups. I have not accepted a job to do a big cake like a wedding, but I do use masonite cake boards alot and I ask for the boards to be returned. I have to order them online and they are pricy, anyway I have lost many. I feel wierd about asking for a deposit for them so I don't. And yes stairs and fountains are very popular around this area, but I just can't see myself ever buying or using them, to me they are so old fashion. icon_lol.gif

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #14 of 26

she is loca!! i mean 300 for $300 never!! i always under charge my cakes but its because im new at this but i even know thats too little it should be at least $600 i charge $ 2 a slice soo tell her either youll make her a $300 cake or pay more or stick with the other lady and your right she is only trying to get a cheaper cake.... good luck

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #15 of 26

A three tiered cake for 300? What size tiers does she think you are going to make? I use party size servings, but that would still have to be like 3 20 inch tiers!!

Yes, crazy.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #16 of 26

YOU know she is crazy or you wouldn't be asking us, cause we'll agree and tell you she's crazy!!! If she has someone booked, tell her no, that's just not right.

kdehtan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdehtan Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #17 of 26

If you really want to do it you could do a smaller 3 tiered cake with the decorations and cover the other servings with sheet cakes (using Vegas colors, but no fondant decorations). Just a thought.

I did my first wedding cake to feed 300 for $350. It was a simple design, only buttercream, and bride was SO EASY to deal with. I did a three tiered and then a sheet cake. She was very happy with that. I would charge more now, but I got the experience!!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:49am
post #18 of 26

You have to charge a deposit on all equipment.....if you know the customer or not......and make sure it's enought to cover replacement cost, time and fuel (especially with todays prices) to get new ones.

1.00 - 1.30 is Waaaaay to cheap...just with materials alone.....for any fondant cake minimum $2.50 slice.....don't you think? If she is a real good friend...maybe a small 2 layer fondant for show to feed maybe 100 $250.00 and and the rest sheet cakes. $150.00

AmyGonzalez Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:58am
post #19 of 26

icon_lol.gif Yes, I think she's crazy, I just love hearing it from all of you too! icon_lol.gif For my area I'm thinking of charging 1.75-2.00 a slice. That would put it at a $525-$600 cost. Although, I do like the small tier cake with added sheet cakes idea too. I have loved reading what all of you all have had to say. icon_lol.gif I'll present my ideas to her and see what she says.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #20 of 26

She is nuts. I charge $3.00 per slice for fondant covered and $2.25 for buttercream.

Don't under sell or you'll be kicking yourself when you are making this cake.

I have found if I undercharge for a cake my heart just isn't in it because I feel like I'm the one that got ripped off.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 26

You know. A lot of people don't understand the cake pricing. Maybe she is one of the unaware persons. Explain to her that the price range she gave you doesn't even cover expenses. Give her some options for her and tell her you won't be offended if she doesn't choose you, since her budget is set on a lower price.

lisa78332 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:17pm
post #22 of 26

I agree with julz, write it out. I've done that in the past too. For example, I'll write: ingredients: flour, sugar, eggs, etc. with prices of what I pay next to it. That may help too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa78332

I agree with julz, write it out. I've done that in the past too. For example, I'll write: ingredients: flour, sugar, eggs, etc. with prices of what I pay next to it. That may help too.

Only if I'm doing it at cost for family or a close friend (and I can't remember if this is the case with the orig poster). But otherwise, no way am I telling someone my cost, and ergo my profit. Because they wont' look at the "cost" of my time and talent ..... they think the price of a cake is only the price of ingredients.

AmyGonzalez Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #24 of 26

I definitly agree with indydebi. I would not tell the customer the break down of cost. My time and talent is far more expensive than ingredients. icon_lol.gif I work with her tomorrow and will present what I have decided for her. I'll keep you all posted. icon_wink.gif Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, it's been fun.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #25 of 26

Sheez...even our grocery stores charge $2.50 - $3.00 per serving for a buttercream stacked cakes. I would give her a couple of options...one at your lowest price for BC and then another price for your fondant cake.

I like the smaller cake/sheet cake idea too!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #26 of 26

I made a Quiencinera (sp) for 300 people and charged $600.After I did all the decorating, delivery and set up I figured out that it wasn't enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%