How Far In Advance Do You Bake Your Cakes?

Business By rvercher23 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm by need2sleep

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 15

I usually bake 2 days before an event and then decorate 1 day before an event. If I had a wedding on Saturday, would the cake be good if I baked it on Wednesday instead of Thursday?

14 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 15

If you are using a box mix, definitely, If you are baking from scratch it would depend on your recipe.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 15

AGREE! maybe even on Monday and freeze it.

I love your signature peg818- that couldn't be any more true! (at first I was thinking the mess was me!)

rvercher23 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 15

The brides cake will be WASC and the grooms cake will be a scratch chocolate expresso.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 15

I usually bake and freeze all makes and never had any problems as long as wrap them up good in scran wrap. also make sure you have box of baking soda in the freezer to help absorb any smells that you may not be able to smell but will get into the cake.

I just baked my birthday on Sunday for this Saturday - vanilla cognac cake and devilish chocolate cake (the cake book). They both freeze well, the WASC freezes great. I have baked that a month ahead of time and tasted great.

rvercher23 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 15

If I bake the cakes on Wednesday, do you think I'll need to refridgerate them or will they be ok wrapped in saran wrap on my cake rack?

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 15

Both of those kinds of cakes will be just fine (actually even better and more moist) if you bake them on Wednesday. That's my usual bake day for a Saturday cake. I wrap them up, not too tightly and they're great! The scratch cakes (my favorite is the chocolate stout cake) actually taste better if they're allowed to sit a few days. The WASC benefits from time too! Good luck!

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 15

I put mine on a jelly roll pan, cover with plastic wrap and leave them on the counter.

rvercher23 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks! You guys have put my mind at ease!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 15

If you bake and frost a cake how much in advance could you do it.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:41am
post #11 of 15

First of all, what is WASC? Or is there a glossary? I can't figure it out, and it is driving me crazy.

As to your question, I just do cakes for family, and I usually bake two days before and leave them wrapped in saran wrap or in a container. I wouldn't worry about it if you had to do it a day earlier. I've also done cakes for my mom (chocolate cake, buttercream icing) that she has put into the freezer a week or two in advance, and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:55am
post #12 of 15

Good info icon_smile.gif

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:54am
post #13 of 15

That was my question too early on!! WASC= White Almond Sour Cream Cake...you can google and find the recipe with variations (uses a white box mix and then add to it). I made 2 weeks ago for my son's bday and it turned out great. icon_biggrin.gif I forget where I found this- maybe recipezaar??

Ingredients (serves @40)
2 (18 ounce) boxes white cake mix (Betty Crocker or Pillsbury)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups water, room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons real vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 cups sour cream, room temperature
8 large egg whites, room temperature (save yolks for a lemon curd)

Directions
Sift all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk.
Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stopping and scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Pour into greased and floured cake pan/pans, filling each pan a little over half full.
Lightly tap cake pans on counter to bring air bubbles to top.
Bake in preheated 325° F. oven until cake tests done. (18x12x12 in. pan 40-45 minutes)
*Baking time varies according to the size and depth of pans being used.
In 2" deep pans, this recipe makes:
One 14" round and one 6" round
or One 16" round
or One 12" round and one 10" round
or One 12 X 18 X 2" sheet cake
or One 12" round and one 8" round and one 6" round
or Two 9" squares.
or 5 dozen cupcakes.
Half the recipe makes:
Two 7" rounds
or Two 6" rounds and 6 cupcakes.
For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes and substitute 6 whole eggs for the egg whites.
For liqueur flavors: substitute alcohol (such as champagne or Kahlua) for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe.
For berry flavors: use frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end.
For lemon cake: substitute lemon juice for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe, use 6 whole eggs instead of the whites, stir in 1 Tbsp. lemon zest, and use 1 tsp of a good lemon extract in place of the almond.
For white chocolate: melt 8oz white baking chocolate & cool slightly. use 6 whole eggs in the recipe instead of the whites, temper the chocolate by stirring in a small amount of the batter, then add the white chocolate to the entire batter and stir well. Doesn't bake up quite as high as the original, so add a pinch more batter to the pans.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 15

jennym0904 -- now I'm drooling! I will definitely be testing out this recipe. Thank you!

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #15 of 15

I was interested in the original topic and learned a thing or two! Thanks. And also thanks for that great recipe! I will definitely be trying this one out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%