She Thinks I Should Give Her A Discount Because Shs'e On....

Business By korkyo Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm by CakesByJen2

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #31 of 51

I read somewhere (maybe on Earlene's website?) about someone telling people that for their gift, they will give them $300 off on their wedding cake. That way you don't end up offering to do a wedding cake and they choose one that you would normally charge a thousand dollars for. And then later, if you decide, you can give it for free.

I can understand someone worrying about the cost of ingredients if they are really on a budget, but if you just want to cheap out because you want to go on a trip ... give me a break. Don't they think it would be out of line to walk up to someone and say hey, I'm going on a trip, please give me $300? And when I say worrying about the cost, I mean asking because they might want to choose a less expensive cake to ask for, not to demand that you do it at less than cost.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #32 of 51

I love how these people think we can afford to do without when they can't!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #33 of 51

Hubby's response to "Can I get a discount because I don't have much money?" is .....

"Neither do we, that's why we don't discount."

My philosophy: Do NOT play the poverty card when you are planning the biggest party at the year with (a) a HUGE guest list (b) a location at an expensive venue (c) a big sit down dinner for all of these guests at the expensive venue or (d) a marching band to play for all of these guests during dinner at this expensive venue.

Sorry.... I've got this food/shelter thing that I've kinda gotten used to!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Can you respond with " I know I quoted you $310, but I think you should pay me $400. I have a carpayment."

icon_rolleyes.gif I'd do it, but I'm like that.

hahahaha! I have some people who I booked last year for weddings this year. Can I call them and tell them I raised the price because everything has gone up and they will have to now pay the higher price?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #35 of 51

Boy this is almost as good as my wedding cake consult last year "I want a 6 foot wedding cake for my daughter and I don't want to pay for it." Loosely translated she wanted a champagne event on a beer budget, but sitting in the oversized kitchen of her 10,000 square foot mansion -- I wasn't buying it! icon_confused.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:32am
post #36 of 51

Just say no. If she can afford all the other stuff, esp. the $800 donation then she can afford you. If she cannot afford your cake price, then she can go somewhere else. PLEASE do not give in. PLEASE do not wear the Sainthood cap !! You are in the cake business who is in it to make money to pay for your time, ingredients and to make a profit but not for some charity work. Get rid of those violins and be strong.. and later after the wedding, if she claims the cake "ruined her wedding" because the cake was dry or something (other lies), also please do not fall for that and quickly hand her a refund.. we've seen enough of that nonsense..most likely this is what she will do to get her money back icon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gif good luck and stand up for yourself.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by flg22275

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieTs

Tell her to kick gravel & travel icon_mad.gif . icon_biggrin.gif

Oh my goodness. I haven't heard of that one..but I like it. icon_lol.gif

I've got three I use ALL the time. In fact my friends and DH are tired of them:

"Gotta make like sheep and get the flock out!"

"Gotta make like a bread truck and haul buns!"

(My favorite but slightly raunchy)
"Gotta make like a prom dress and take off!"

icon_lol.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

I read somewhere (maybe on Earlene's website?) about someone telling people that for their gift, they will give them $300 off on their wedding cake. That way you don't end up offering to do a wedding cake and they choose one that you would normally charge a thousand dollars for. And then later, if you decide, you can give it for free.

I can understand someone worrying about the cost of ingredients if they are really on a budget, but if you just want to cheap out because you want to go on a trip ... give me a break. Don't they think it would be out of line to walk up to someone and say hey, I'm going on a trip, please give me $300? And when I say worrying about the cost, I mean asking because they might want to choose a less expensive cake to ask for, not to demand that you do it at less than cost.

I like this one. If gives the person receiving your gift a limit and then the rest is on them. They can choose a $300 cake or they can pay the difference.

Now that makes a lot of sense. And if you decide to give them more then even better for the kids.

Good Luck.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg22275

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieTs

Tell her to kick gravel & travel icon_mad.gif . icon_biggrin.gif

Oh my goodness. I haven't heard of that one..but I like it. icon_lol.gif

I've got three I use ALL the time. In fact my friends and DH are tired of them:

"Gotta make like sheep and get the flock out!"

"Gotta make like a bread truck and haul buns!"

(My favorite but slightly raunchy)
"Gotta make like a prom dress and take off!"

icon_lol.gif

The sheep one is funny..and a little dirty at the same time! My kind of party icon_biggrin.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #40 of 51

When my hubby and I got married we were on a very tight budget. We knew this. We went to Stater Bros. and ordered a few different cakes in different sizes all in white with pink roses. He told them it was for a sweet 16 birthday or something. Because the minute you mention wedding, the price goes up. We spent about $50.00.

When we picked it up he put it together himself.

We were both very happy with it and it fit in our budget.

If people are on a budget they need to see what they can do for that amount, not order a $300.00 cake and ask for a half price discount!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #41 of 51

Okay, this was my first weddings budget ...

Free meeting hall $80
justice of the peace $150
Wedding dress $250
Reception hosted at my parents house
Wedding cake...done by my mom
Wedding license $150 (?)
My hair getting done gift from my aunt
Photographer $150

Tell her if she asks around her family she may find someone who has done cakes (haven't they all?) lol, and willing to provide one as a gift!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #42 of 51

"She thinks I should give her a discount because she's on..."

...CRACK!!! icon_lol.gif

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #43 of 51

I am probably going to catch heck for this but want to be totally honest. When it is a home business or someone I know I do ask for a discount...although it is normally because I pay cash. I don't see anything wrong with asking for a discount, but if told no then I don't push the issue either. I was married 6 years ago and I had a 3 tier (5 layers of cake, 5 layers buttercream icing) and we paid a total of $160 from a little bakery and that included a 35mile delivery fee.

I just wanted to tell everyone, don't count the people who ask for discounts out because if you don't ask you never know. Same with a car dealership...NEVER Pay what is on the window...always ask for more!!! And don't take it personal, your cakes could be the most top rated in the country, a person will always look to get a deal when they are spending so much money.

Don't yell at me too much =)

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #44 of 51

I love these "cheap bride" threads. SO entertaining icon_biggrin.gif Good for all of you who stick to your guns. I have not done a wedding cake yet, and I really dread the day I get a customer asking for a discount. I am a pushover and cannot guarantee I will not fall for their antics icon_redface.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #45 of 51

I guess I've been lucky that I've never had to deal with hagglers...when I did my last cake, the girl who picked it up was so happy that she gave me a tip!! icon_smile.gif

I'm sure my day will come...and when it does I hope that I will be able to stick to my guns (& prices!). I'm all for giving my customers a good price, but I'm also not doing this for charity either!

loriana Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie13

I am probably going to catch heck for this but want to be totally honest. When it is a home business or someone I know I do ask for a discount...although it is normally because I pay cash. I don't see anything wrong with asking for a discount, but if told no then I don't push the issue either. I was married 6 years ago and I had a 3 tier (5 layers of cake, 5 layers buttercream icing) and we paid a total of $160 from a little bakery and that included a 35mile delivery fee.

I just wanted to tell everyone, don't count the people who ask for discounts out because if you don't ask you never know. Same with a car dealership...NEVER Pay what is on the window...always ask for more!!! And don't take it personal, your cakes could be the most top rated in the country, a person will always look to get a deal when they are spending so much money.

Don't yell at me too much =)

Hey Shannie, well I totally understand the whole wanting a discount thing. I am like you and always ask for a discount in places you normally wouldnt. I think lots of people are willing to meet you at a reasonable price in order to get an item sold. People are much too willing, in my humble opinion, to pay sticker price on everything.

Here is my but: But a custom-made cake (or tailoring, or order for engraving, or anything "hand-crafted" or "specialized" for you that cannot be returned) should probably not be discounted.

Example:
Persian Rug in a marketplace in Turkey - discountable
ceramic platter handmade in Mexico - discountable
Bridal dress off the rack - discountable
Bridal dress tailored down 6" inches - not discountable
custom made cuflinks out of dad's favorite symbol - not discountable

The customer is paying the price which is mostly for the work involved in making things just for YOU. The reason Wal-mart and Kroger can sell cheap cakes is, the decorators (and I decorated at Kroger 2 summers ago) whip out the most generic design that anyone will pick up and enjoy. Flowers for mom. Elmo for the 5 yr old, Hanna Montana cake for the teenager.

When someone comes to me with a request to make a cake, my price is my price to design something very special just for them, in just the way they want it.

So....to wrap up what I'm saying: Discounts shouldnt apply to custom-made items. When someone's precious time is 75% of the price, it is not discountable. Their time is worth every penny they price it at. Just MHO

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #47 of 51

Why does it matter if it's a home business?

For the record, I'm a shop business. The home baker can't buy in the same volume I do, so they pay more for their ingredients. The home baker can't produce the same volume I do, because they dont' have the oven capacity that I do. The home baker can't attract as many customers as I can because since are probably not licensed, they can't advertise like I can and have to fly under the radar.

So you're asking this home baker, who has higher ingredient cost and less of an ability to do high volume business, to do it cheaper for you.

Sorry .... that makes no sense to me and it's a little insulting for you to ASSUME they don't "need" or "deserve" the same price as anyone else who is custom creating a cake.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #48 of 51

Loriana,
I think you are right, and my ignorance took the better of me. I never really considered a cake as a custom item until now (even though all my cakes are custom to what someone asks for, silly me). I haven't sold my cakes as they have all been gifts to friends and family so I haven't had any complaints or returns. Actually that whole concept of returning a cake makes me laugh just seems like an absurdity.

And IMHO cake decorators don't get paid enough for what they do. I look at the pictures and could only imagine how much dedication and time it takes to make these beautiful creations. I too wish people would appreciate the time and effort that it takes for someone to create something so precious. And if I was going to ask for something so specific I would definitely expect to pay for it!!

loriana Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #49 of 51

Yeahup Indydebi,I agree. If anything it is even harder for a home baker to give a discount, even if it was ok to ask for one.

Here's are cake examples:

Cake that is custom-made for a customer - not discountable
Custom cake that didn't get picked up by the customer above - dicsountable
Cake from Kroger that didn't sell and is close to expiration date- discountable

again, JMHO

loriana Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie13

I look at the pictures and could only imagine how much dedication and time it takes to make these beautiful creations. I too wish people would appreciate the time and effort that it takes for someone to create something so precious. And if I was going to ask for something so specific I would definitely expect to pay for it!!

Amen sista!!! party.gif

Thats good thinking. You are worth all that time and energy you pour into that beautiful cake. Sometimes when my 16-month old is playing with a wooden spoon on the floor in the kitchen, banging away on his pot I think to myself "this hour I am making this cake is one less hour with my boogiebear" so my family is owed the money as repayment for it. I guess someone with arthritic hands is owed the time and energy into holding that pastry bag steady or Indydebi at her business, for time away from her kids, etc.... good thought Shannie!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #51 of 51

Glad it worked out OK in the end.

I try to avoid these kind of sticky situations by getting the budget issue out of the way, up front. I state on my website and brochure something to the effect that brides should always be up front with their decorator about their budget, because while prices for a given design are NOT negotiable, a good decorator can work with them to come up with a design that has a similar look, but is less costly. For example, doing a very simple dotted pattern instead of detailed embroidery, piped flowers instead of gumpaste, etc. Brides don't realize how much changing one design element can make a significant change in the price, but may not significantly change the over-all look.

I have only had two people haggle with me about price. The first was a lady who called at 10:30 at night! Knowing I worked from my home. So I was annoyed to begin with. Then when I told her my prices and other basic info, she complained that the brochure she had been given by someone else said a lower price and whined that I should honor that price, despite the fact the brochure was 1-2 years old, and clearly states in boldface that "Prices are subject to change". I told her that it would be different if *I* had given her an old brochure by mistake, but I had no control over other people passing along old brocures. She whined some more and I just politely state, "I'm sorry, but I can't do that, but feel free to check with Wal-Mart". The second was my brother, who didn't really haggle, but rather complained behind my back to other family members because I actually charged him for his wedding cake. This was for 200 people, plus a groom's cake for 50. At the time, my price would have been around $750 and I only charged them $450, I think. I told him he was free to shop around for a better price, that I wouldn't mind having the week free and being able to just be a guest icon_biggrin.gif . His fiance didn't have a problem, just him. He's the youngest, and a spoiled brat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%