Jeep Wrangler For 50 People??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 14 Oct 2008 , 10:13pm by loriemoms

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, so I've done carved cakes, but never for a large number of people or even a specific amount of people. How do I go about planning for this cake and if anyone has any pointers on a Jeep cake, I'd really love it!

10 replies
pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 11

I'm still a newbie, but I am already planning a jeep cake for my fiancee in February. He wants me to duplicate his 2008 Jeep Rubicon and being a hunter, he wants a dead dear on it with a massive rack. This should be fun.
One idea for you is to make a standard sheet cake. Decorate that with grass, river rock with stream, road, etc. Then place the Jeep on the sheet cake (with support). That way you can serve the guest with the sheet cake first, the the jeep or the jeep can be taken home by the person its intended for. Make a whole scene out of the Jeep and sheet cake. I plan on making the Jeep with the top down and doors off, since thats how our Jeep looks majority of the time.

Good luck, can't wait to see your pics

jessieb578 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the reply, I actually tried to talk the customer into that because it wasn't as scary of a cake icon_lol.gif but they want just a giant Jeep. How funny about the cake for your fiance! Make sure you post pics of that!

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 11

I will defin post a pic, as soon as I figure out how to resize my photos so I can post all my cake photos.

Since they only want a Jeep, have you thought about making a tiered cake, then carving the whole thing as a jeep. That way it can be large and have base supports. Make it a 2 or 3 tiered cake on rect. boards. Have the cake a little larger than the boards so the body of the jeep is the same size as the boards, but the extra cake will be your carved pieces (the bumper, wheels, etc). Hopefully that made sense.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 11

I usually do my cars and trucks from carved sheet cakes. I draw out the sides of the vehicle on light cardboard to get my shape down. I cut out the bottom part of the vehicle on a piece of heavy board, because I like to elevate it up a little for the wheels. I then stack 3-4 1/2 sheets of cake, (using the icing of choice) and then start carving away. If you do it from 1/2 sheets, you should have more then enough cake.

jessieb578 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 11

lorimoms, thanks for the info! forgive me for asking what might be a stupid question, but what size is a half sheet? I don't do many sheet cakes. I'm thinking it might be 12x18?

Thanks!

loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 11

Yeap 12x18 sounds about right. Make sure you level them before you stack them...you may even want to torte them, as the more filling you have, the more "glue" (I wouldn't use a mousse or anything like that

One of the things I saw Geof do on AOC was the rolling chocolate under the fondant for the windows and such. (grey colored) I did this a couple of times and man it makes a big difference..the cake is sturdier. YOu just "cut out" the windows when the fondant is on, being careful not to go through the grey chocolate under...looks much better then grey shapes glued on the fondant..

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 11

Hey loriemoms...when geof put the chocolate on the cake did he do the entire under side or just where the windows would be? Thanks for your help.

Julia

loriemoms Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

Hey loriemoms...when geof put the chocolate on the cake did he do the entire under side or just where the windows would be? Thanks for your help.

Julia

He covered the entire cake...it was also helpful for the wheels whels (whatever you call them) . I also found it make the cake so much smoother!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 11

so I guess when you are eating then it goes fondant, chocolate, buttercream, cake? Wow seems like one sweet cake huh? Thanks a bunch for the information though....Do you have a pic of one you have done?

Julia

loriemoms Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

so I guess when you are eating then it goes fondant, chocolate, buttercream, cake? Wow seems like one sweet cake huh? Thanks a bunch for the information though....Do you have a pic of one you have done?

Julia

Actually I do the chocolate and the fondant very thin...its actually thinner if you use straight fondant, becuase the chocolate gets so nice and hard.

The police car in my photos is done that way...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%