Vaseline + Cake Decorating

Decorating By SWHEATLEYCAKES Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm by kchart

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #61 of 176

IT IS HARDER TO READ ALL CAPS - just like it is hard to read all lowercase - orsomethingwithnospacesornopunctuation - or typng in txt msg on a msg brd.

Sure it is easier to type that way, but that does not make it correct. It was common courtesy to point out she was being unintentionally rude. No one said she was doing it to yell, we know that her post was not of that nature, however in another post she may type all caps and cause a ruckus cause someone misinterprets her typing for yelling.

There are "rules" or standard "Netiquette", if you will, and it is common courtesy to follow them, she was not asked in a rude way to stop, only informed that all caps is shouting. She can still choose to type that way if she wishes, only now she will be aware that many people may take offense even when she means none.

It's really no big deal.

As for the Vaseline - I think she's full of crap and pulling your leg.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #62 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Personally, my opinion is that the decorator whom answered the question as to how she got her icing so smooth with the comment "Vaseline" was just being sarcastic and didn't want to share the real way of how she did it.

As for the all caps subject, yes, on the internet typing in all caps is considered shouting or yelling and rude. Not meaning to sound 'holier than thou' here, but sorry to hear that you find it silly and like it makes you feel like you're back in high school. But in a medium where the only way to communicate is typing and reading (for the majority), complying with set rules (like knowing how to spell, too) makes communication a lot easier. If you want to be understood as well as possible, please try to comply with the rules that have been set.

It's like going over to someone France and screaming at them in Spanish. Firstly, you might want to try not screaming and might want to try speaking the language, if you know it, or as best as you can. At the very least, there's no need for shouting. Just my humble opinion (aka JMHO).

**stepping off soapbox now**

I would love to see where these "rules" are....I also think that the comment about knowing how to spell is rude. Many adults have trouble with spelling and a lot of members on CC are from all over the world and dont always have perfect spelling.

OK, THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR. WHEN YOU START ON PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR SPELLING CAPIBILITES IT'S TIME TO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE WOULD TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT, I FOR ONE.

I AM LOST FOR WORDS AT THE MOMENT BECAUSE I FELL MY BLOOD BOILING.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #63 of 176
Quote:

Quote:

Personally, my opinion is that the decorator whom answered the question as to how she got her icing so smooth with the comment "Vaseline" was just being sarcastic and didn't want to share the real way of how she did it.

As for the all caps subject, yes, on the internet typing in all caps is considered shouting or yelling and rude. Not meaning to sound 'holier than thou' here, but sorry to hear that you find it silly and like it makes you feel like you're back in high school. But in a medium where the only way to communicate is typing and reading (for the majority), complying with set rules (like knowing how to spell, too) makes communication a lot easier. If you want to be understood as well as possible, please try to comply with the rules that have been set.

It's like going over to someone France and screaming at them in Spanish. Firstly, you might want to try not screaming and might want to try speaking the language, if you know it, or as best as you can. At the very least, there's no need for shouting. Just my humble opinion (aka JMHO).

I would love to see where these "rules" are....I also think that the comment about knowing how to spell is rude. Many adults have trouble with spelling and a lot of members on CC are from all over the world and dont always have perfect spelling.

Google Al Gore's internet rules. I believe it is # 38.

Mike

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #64 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

ummmm thats ok..... I dont think Al Gore is important enough to make internet rules

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #65 of 176
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

ummmm thats ok..... I dont think Al Gore is important enough to make internet rules

I can't stop laughing at that one

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #66 of 176

Sorry it was a double post.

Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:32pm
post #67 of 176

The inventor of the internet should have some say in the rules, and how it's run, don't ya think?

Mike

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #68 of 176
Quote:

The inventor of the internet should have some say in the rules, and how it's run, don't ya think?

Mike

You learn something everyday. Al Gore invented the Inter-net icon_eek.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #69 of 176
Quote:

Mike

Im the one who pays for my internet so I make my internet rules icon_biggrin.gif

SweetResults Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #70 of 176

Mike - you crack me up!

Spelling comment - I do agree, not everyone is a great speller, I could give a crap if things are spelled correctly (I am anal about my own spelling, but that's MY issue not yours!).

I also don't mind different colors, or larger fonts for emphasis, and I am always using different fonts in email, the only problem is not everyone may have the font you choose and it will show up as some crappy default serif font.

It is funny that this thread has turned from Vaseline to this - strange the things that push people's buttons.

A few more interesting things to push this thread further off the ledge:
"TYCLO
created by SanjuroE

(idea) by SanjuroE (4.2 y) (print)        ? (I like it!)     Sun May 07 2000 at 8:39:03
Acronym for Turn Your CAPS LOCK Off.

Background: Chatting in capitals is considered shouting and very rude."
"Typing in all caps works better
created by Ground Control

(idea) by Ground Control (3.5 y) (print)        ? (I like it!)   1 C!   Sat Aug 12 2000 at 16:54:47

If you mean "typing in all caps works better at pissing me off," then yes, you're correct.

If you mean "typing in all caps is more easily readable," it's not. From my own personal experience all lowercase is easier to read and doesn't induce eyestrain nearly as fast.

If you mean "typing in all caps will get the tech support people to take my trouble ticket more seriously," please come to my house so I can kick your ass."
Caps Lock Day - Caps Lock day is October 22

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/CAPS_LOCK_IS_CRUISE_CONTROL_FOR_COOL
MORE ON VASELINE:

50 Beautiful Things to Do With Vaseline
http://www.ebeautydaily.com/50-beautiful-things-you-can-do-with-vaseline/

I didn't see smoothing cakes on this list.

So I ThInK ThAt I wIlL tYpE aLl My PoStS lIkE tHiS fRoM nOw On. WhAt Do YoU tHiNk? icon_lol.gif
LL

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #71 of 176

LOL. RIGHT ON ROXXY!

Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #72 of 176

OK I guess either your way to young, or I'm way to old. I put to much vaseline on the joke, and it slid right by. Caught that than one I hope.

OMG a few years back. Al gore came out, and said something about he invented the internet. This was probably 10-15 yrs ago, or so. Don't tell me someone actually googled Al Gore's internet rules LOLOLOL.

Mike

kchart Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #73 of 176

LOVE THE FREAKING SHIRT!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE CAN I GET ONE? icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #74 of 176

Can anyone else tell I have TONS of work to do and am just PROCRASTINATING???? icon_eek.gif
LL

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #75 of 176

Thanks everyone. This thread gave me my recommended daily dose of drama. icon_biggrin.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #76 of 176
Quote:

OK I guess either your way to young, or I'm way to old. I put to much vaseline on the joke, and it slid right by. Caught that than one I hope.

OMG a few years back. Al gore came out, and said something about he invented the internet. This was probably 10-15 yrs ago, or so. Don't tell me someone actually googled Al Gore's internet rules LOLOLOL.

Mike

why yes i am young well not that young. i dont use google because most people that do only use it to search the internet to find all sorts of facts to try and make themselves look smarter than they actually are

Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #77 of 176
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

why yes i am young well not that young. i dont use google because most people that do only use it to search the internet to find all sorts of facts to try and make themselves look smarter than they actually are

LOLOLOLOL

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #78 of 176

Just a quick question... after reading through this thread I have completly forgot the topic? Was it about cake decorating or am I on some forum discussing proper internet ettiquiette???? Please help me out on this one!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:51pm
post #79 of 176

I could not find similar verbage here, but below is a c&p from a pregnancy and parenting site I've been a member of for 8+ years:

RULES OF NETIQUETTE Please remember the following Internet Rules of Netiquette when participating on StorkNet's message boards and chat.

ALL CAPS: People new to the Internet may think that typing in ALL CAPS will show that they are making a point. Netiquette says that using all capitals is SHOUTING. Please refrain from using all capital letters unless it is part of a quote or title that should be capitalized.

Also, from Wiki: Common rules for e-mail[9] and USENET such as avoiding flamewars and spam are constant across most mediums and communities. Another rule is to avoid typing in ALL CAPS, which is considered shouting or yelling. Other commonly shared points, such as remembering that one's posts are (or can easily be made) public, are generally intuitively understood by publishers of web pages and posters to USENET.

To me, it's not about reverting back to high school drama or whatnot - it's about a common courtesy. I personally find it difficult to read in all caps, and it does make it appear as though the poster is "shouting".

Getting off my soapbox now, definitely on the side of "please stop shouting on the computer at me - it hurts my ears" icon_smile.gif.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #80 of 176

This is so much better than daytime soaps!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHA,you guys all crack me up!

Oh, and I use vaseline on my baby's butt for wetness protection!And it works real well to help [SLIDING] the thermometer up her butt too!

SweetResults Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #81 of 176

Link to ALL CAPS t-shirt LOL!

http://www.jinx.com/men/shirts/geek/caps_lock.html

Hey Mike - I got the joke - I guess we must be getting old - CRAP!

Good ol' Snopes has the details on Gore and the Internet....

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Again - I REALLY have to do my WORK!! icon_cry.gif

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #82 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Thanks everyone. This thread gave me my recommended daily dose of drama. icon_biggrin.gif

You're very welcome. It will save wear and tear on you TV set.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #83 of 176

what about vaseline on those chapped lips? So it must be safe to some degree, though I wouldn't put it on my cake icon_smile.gif

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #84 of 176
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Roxx bringing out her best, you go girl.

I know who you're talking about

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #85 of 176

[quote="Mike1394] Google Al Gore's internet rules. I believe it is # 38.

Mike[/quote]

It is the internet typing law!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Internet+Typing+Law

kchart Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #86 of 176

If you would read the post you would know that she was NOT shouting. So, if I post in all italics does that mean I'm laughing?

kchart Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #87 of 176

or speaking with an accent? icon_smile.gif

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #88 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohare

Just a quick question... after reading through this thread I have completly forgot the topic? Was it about cake decorating or am I on some forum discussing proper internet ettiquiette???? Please help me out on this one!

It's about someone pulling someone else's leg - I think

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #89 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

I ThInK It's HyStErIcAl

People will argue over anything, huh! hahahaha!

I love it, national cap locks day.

And Mike, I am loving your comments!!! hahahaha!

Slip on through!

I think the rest of the day Les Talk Lik Dis.

(From Harry met Sally...)

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:03pm
post #90 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenleysmommy

This is so much better than daytime soaps!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHA,you guys all crack me up!

Oh, and I use vaseline on my baby's butt for wetness protection!And it works real well to help [SLIDING] the thermometer up her butt too!

I had a SIL that grabbed the Vicks instead of the Vaseline. The rest of the story I can't tell here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%