Vaseline + Cake Decorating

Decorating By SWHEATLEYCAKES Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm by kchart

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #31 of 176

I remember when I was skating many many years ago the other girls saying that they would swallow a tsp of vaseline before a bit meet because it helped them breath.... Not to sure about it but I never did it myself. With this in mind I started a little search and here is what I found:

Here is a wiki site on Robert Cheserough the inventor of Vaseline. He lived to be 101 years old and claimed to EAT 1 tsp of Vaseline everyday.... Imagine that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Chesebrough

Still pretty interesting.

Good Luck.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:45am
post #32 of 176

all4cake wrote: "plastic drinking bottles are a petroleum by-product but we wrap our lips around those...chew on straws...storage bowls, mixing bowls...not food items but traces are being ingested when those items are used"

Point being - YOU DON'T EAT THE CONTAINER...'trace' is one thing, deliberately (supposedly) putting petroleum byproducts ONTO something to be consumed...knowing that fondant isn't impervious...!?!?!?

If you want to put petroleum and other non-edibles into your cakes and thus have to watch them like hawks...you need to change lines of work/hobby...otherwise you would need to be locked up.

Wendl

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #33 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendl

all4cake wrote: "plastic drinking bottles are a petroleum by-product but we wrap our lips around those...chew on straws...storage bowls, mixing bowls...not food items but traces are being ingested when those items are used"

Point being - YOU DON'T EAT THE CONTAINER...'trace' is one thing, deliberately (supposedly) putting petroleum byproducts ONTO something to be consumed...knowing that fondant isn't impervious...!?!?!?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Good point! icon_lol.gif

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:49am
post #34 of 176

Genetics have a lot more to do w/longevity - that and staying out of the way of traffic.

You folks that want to defend and support such an outrageous practice..."still pretty interesting"...no, no it's not. It's disgusting.

Wendl

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:17am
post #35 of 176

I didn't at any point defend or condone putting Vaseline on anything edible. I only stated the fact that Vaseline isn't the only thing made of petoleum by-products....AND that we ingest the stuff through the various items that come in contact with food.

I use Vaseline on my lips and get the stuff in my mouth. I know of people who eat it and others who eat Vick's claiming the medicinal properties of 'em are high just as the woman who drinks a cup of olive oil every day.

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:34am
post #36 of 176

ok this is off topic... but why is evryone asking her to take the caps off??? i mean its not my bussiness i just find it a little rude

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:04am
post #37 of 176

I just came across this thread and it is soooooo hilarious! first one person starts a rumor that she does not even know is true for sure or not then everyone chimes in and ya'll get mad at each other for one thing or another. Nothing is getting solved and no one has bothered to call this person and ask. I am sure there is a way to get a hold of her. Rather than sit here and gossip about her since things have a way of getting back to people, why not ask the person who posted this in the first place to call the lady and ask. Then stop posting things when you are not sure if it is even true. And who really cares about caps.

Just my 2 cents...
lol

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:31am
post #38 of 176

Justbeck101
CC is like being in a room with hundreds of decorators. It is not just a place to post proven facts or for only decorators to answer if they are 100% positive their answer is correct. It is a place to come on and socialize with other decorators. You can bring exciting new ideas, you can help someone through your experience, you can discuss topics and get views and opinions. We aren't mad....we are just expressing our view.

The thing I love most about cake central is the fact you can come on at any time and there will be someone else on there. So many subjects get covered. Sometimes what starts out as a crazy thought leads to many facts coming to the surface. What seems silly to you is both entertaining and educational for me.

The reason they are asking for the no caps.... the person needs to respect the rule of the online world that when you type in ALL CAPS you are yelling. This isn't just a CC thing and is something which needs to be a part of the online etiquette.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:45am
post #39 of 176

I understand the no caps thing, but if you look at her name you will see it is in all caps.....she likes all caps.
And if you re read the posts you will see that people do start to get angry at each other and there is just not enough time in life to get so angry. I think all of you are great and I just think that if you think something like this is happening, instead of putting this poor lady down like CRAZY maybe you should stop and think. She probably visits this website all the time. Maybe she is embarrassed. Maybe she didn't realize that she should not use vaseline....if she is using it in the first place.
All I am saying is that if you go back and re read this thread it sounds really mean towards this lady and y'all don't even know her. It is just sad. I think everyone should stop and slow down and think about how they would feel in this ladies shoes. I am not saying it is right to put vaseline on a cake, that would be yuk, but give a person the benefit of the doubt is all I am saying.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:33am
post #40 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

I remember when I was skating many many years ago the other girls saying that they would swallow a tsp of vaseline before a bit meet because it helped them breath.... Not to sure about it but I never did it myself. With this in mind I started a little search and here is what I found:

Here is a wiki site on Robert Cheserough the inventor of Vaseline. He lived to be 101 years old and claimed to EAT 1 tsp of Vaseline everyday.... Imagine that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Chesebrough

Still pretty interesting.

Good Luck.

Yeah cause things don't get "stuck" they just slip through easier. LOLOLOL

Can you imagine how rigid a support system has to be. I mean a cake wants to slide all by itself anyways. Now put some Vaseline on it we are talking a cake slip, and slide party. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:55am
post #41 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

I understand the no caps thing, but if you look at her name you will see it is in all caps.....she likes all caps.
And if you re read the posts you will see that people do start to get angry at each other and there is just not enough time in life to get so angry. I think all of you are great and I just think that if you think something like this is happening, instead of putting this poor lady down like CRAZY maybe you should stop and think. She probably visits this website all the time. Maybe she is embarrassed. Maybe she didn't realize that she should not use vaseline....if she is using it in the first place.
All I am saying is that if you go back and re read this thread it sounds really mean towards this lady and y'all don't even know her. It is just sad. I think everyone should stop and slow down and think about how they would feel in this ladies shoes. I am not saying it is right to put vaseline on a cake, that would be yuk, but give a person the benefit of the doubt is all I am saying.

I think it all depends on how you are reading it. Most posts on here have been about how yucky this sounds and it must be a joke. They aren't meaning the OP is joking, they mean the lady who decorates cakes was pulling the OP's leg. As far as caps, I Have been online for 25 years (I ran a BBS back in the 80s) and all caps has always meant you were yelling. People were just trying to tell her to stop yelling. I don't see that as being mean.

The problem with online is you can read something and be in a bad mood and read it completely different as it was meant. I don't see anyone posting to the OP any name calling or anything...

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:57am
post #42 of 176

i think people are taking this out of context. i cant see someone smearing vaseline on a cake surface. IF she uses it it is most likely to replace shortening when rolling fondant etc.
to everyone so quick to point out how "yuck" it is, just think of all the transfats in shortening that people have been using for years, and the essences etc which no one bats and eyelash at.
and those that insert straws/wires etc into their cakes. maybe we should be a little less quick to judge, we're all guilty of something that someone elso would find gross/inedible etc

SWHEATLEYCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #43 of 176

well first of all i am not bashing the other lady! she made that statement and i just wanted to know if any cake decorators had heard of it. and yes i would ask her but she can be standoffish about giving away her tricks of the trade!!!!!! she has been in the business for almost 20 years and her cakes are always perfection, not one flaw !!! thanks for the defense on the all caps, i like the all caps!!!!! i personally don't think the internet needs rules on typing. it makes you think your in high school again!!!! didn't mean to yell at anyone! all caps is easier to read and type !!!!! as for the other cake decorator i am not meaning to hurt her feelings nor am i talking about her, just want to know if anyone has heard of it!!! by the way i have never tried the vaseline trick. it just got me wandering....

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm
post #44 of 176

I wouldn't take it too personally, i think this topic just got a little heated!
I think people just want tomake sure that things are not unsubstantiated and floating around on the net.
by the way, thanks for removeing the caps, it may not bother you but it is annoying to most people and can be difficult to read.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:42pm
post #45 of 176

Personally, my opinion is that the decorator whom answered the question as to how she got her icing so smooth with the comment "Vaseline" was just being sarcastic and didn't want to share the real way of how she did it.

As for the all caps subject, yes, on the internet typing in all caps is considered shouting or yelling and rude. Not meaning to sound 'holier than thou' here, but sorry to hear that you find it silly and like it makes you feel like you're back in high school. But in a medium where the only way to communicate is typing and reading (for the majority), complying with set rules (like knowing how to spell, too) makes communication a lot easier. If you want to be understood as well as possible, please try to comply with the rules that have been set.

It's like going over to someone France and screaming at them in Spanish. Firstly, you might want to try not screaming and might want to try speaking the language, if you know it, or as best as you can. At the very least, there's no need for shouting. Just my humble opinion (aka JMHO).

**stepping off soapbox now**

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #46 of 176

100% agree, Sugar_Plum_Fairy! On all of it. thumbs_up.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #47 of 176

GROSS....you'd think someone would turn her into the health department for making such a statement so it could be investigated.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm
post #48 of 176

I bet the lady was just being facetious and flippant. Some people don't give out their secrets and will stonewall those who ask.

I would love to see her perfect work.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #49 of 176

Honestly, I felt bad for the poster using all caps. It did seem like the point got a little too much attention.

I agree in letting her know "computer etiquette"...but that's what that handy little PM button is for.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #50 of 176

Thread of the Week. icon_lol.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #51 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendl

Genetics have a lot more to do w/longevity - that and staying out of the way of traffic.

You folks that want to defend and support such an outrageous practice..."still pretty interesting"...no, no it's not. It's disgusting.

Wendl

I'm confused

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:16pm
post #52 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

You have to be careful with this thread also. If your not reading carefully it could sliiiiiiiiiiiip right by ya. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #53 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

I just came across this thread and it is soooooo hilarious! first one person starts a rumor that she does not even know is true for sure or not then everyone chimes in and ya'll get mad at each other for one thing or another. Nothing is getting solved and no one has bothered to call this person and ask. I am sure there is a way to get a hold of her. Rather than sit here and gossip about her since things have a way of getting back to people, why not ask the person who posted this in the first place to call the lady and ask. Then stop posting things when you are not sure if it is even true. And who really cares about caps.

Just my 2 cents...
lol

More like 5 cents. I not sure about using the word "gossip". I will have to find my dictionary and look it up but I think you have to know the person to call it "gossip". It doesn't really matter, what we were doing was totally not "gossip" sorry you feel that way.

We are members of a site that we exchange advise and share our work to help others. Yes, we do get off track sometimes. If you don't like the thread there is a back arrow on the top left side of your screen.

Now to talk about "caps". I have ran across many who did not know that "caps" is a form of yelling and have welcomed the tip as this may be the case. I thought it was said very nicely.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:39pm
post #54 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

You have to be careful with this thread also. If your not reading carefully it could sliiiiiiiiiiiip right by ya. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

I just choked on my lunch! icon_lol.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #55 of 176

WHATS THE BIG DEAL WITH CAPS??? HEHEHEH YELL AT ME CAUSE IM TYPING IN CAPS. ITS WAY EASIER TO TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO CAPITOLIZE THE BEGINNING OF EACH SENTENCE. WHATS THE BID DEAL??? YOU CAN OBVIOUSLY TELL THAT SHE IS NOT YELLING BY HER POST SO WHY MAKE HER FEEL LIKE SHE DOING SOMETHING WORNG? WHO ARE YOU ALL TO TELL HER THAT THE WAY SHE TYPES IS WRONG AND ASK HER TO STOP?

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #56 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

WHATS THE BIG DEAL WITH CAPS??? HEHEHEH YELL AT ME CAUSE IM TYPING IN CAPS. ITS WAY EASIER TO TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO CAPITOLIZE THE BEGINNING OF EACH SENTENCE. WHATS THE BID DEAL??? YOU CAN OBVIOUSLY TELL THAT SHE IS NOT YELLING BY HER POST SO WHTS THE BIG DEAL. WHO ARE YOU ALL TO TELL HER THAT THE WAY SHE TYPES IS WRONG AND ASK HER TO STOP?

ROXX, YOU'RE A BAD GIRL, BAD GIRL.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #57 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

WHATS THE BIG DEAL WITH CAPS??? HEHEHEH YELL AT ME CAUSE IM TYPING IN CAPS. ITS WAY EASIER TO TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO CAPITOLIZE THE BEGINNING OF EACH SENTENCE. WHATS THE BID DEAL??? YOU CAN OBVIOUSLY TELL THAT SHE IS NOT YELLING BY HER POST SO WHTS THE BIG DEAL. WHO ARE YOU ALL TO TELL HER THAT THE WAY SHE TYPES IS WRONG AND ASK HER TO STOP?

ROXX, YOU'RE A BAD GIRL, BAD GIRL.

I THINK I WILL TYPE LIKE THIS IN ALL MY POST FROM NOW ON icon_smile.gif

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #58 of 176

Seriously????? I'm sorry but if you wanna type in all caps, by all means CAPS LOCK AWAY!!! Completely ridiculous that this thread has come to this. So, If I wanna change my letter coloring to orange or change my font to script will I be going againt the "computer etiquette"? Gosh people, aren't there more serious things in your life, or is the ALL CAPS to much for you to handle? I feel like I'm back in high school. absurd!!!!!

As for the Vaseline thing........ewwww.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #59 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Personally, my opinion is that the decorator whom answered the question as to how she got her icing so smooth with the comment "Vaseline" was just being sarcastic and didn't want to share the real way of how she did it.

As for the all caps subject, yes, on the internet typing in all caps is considered shouting or yelling and rude. Not meaning to sound 'holier than thou' here, but sorry to hear that you find it silly and like it makes you feel like you're back in high school. But in a medium where the only way to communicate is typing and reading (for the majority), complying with set rules (like knowing how to spell, too) makes communication a lot easier. If you want to be understood as well as possible, please try to comply with the rules that have been set.

It's like going over to someone France and screaming at them in Spanish. Firstly, you might want to try not screaming and might want to try speaking the language, if you know it, or as best as you can. At the very least, there's no need for shouting. Just my humble opinion (aka JMHO).

**stepping off soapbox now**

I would love to see where these "rules" are....I also think that the comment about knowing how to spell is rude. Many adults have trouble with spelling and a lot of members on CC are from all over the world and dont always have perfect spelling.

Janette Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #60 of 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchart

Seriously????? I'm sorry but if you wanna type in all caps, by all means CAPS LOCK AWAY!!! Completely ridiculous that this thread has come to this. So, If I wanna change my letter coloring to orange or change my font to script will I be going againt the "computer etiquette"? Gosh people, aren't there more serious things in your life, or is the ALL CAPS to much for you to handle? I feel like I'm back in high school. absurd!!!!!

As for the Vaseline thing........ewwww.

Try a spoonful of Sugar

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%