Yet Another Freezing Question

Baking By Kaybaby Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm by shanasweets

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 6

I have read through oodles of posts talking about freezing cookies. There are quite a few variations and I just don't know what to do. My cookies are Hello Kitty, NFSC with Antonia 74's RI. Some are on the stick and some are not. My timeline has changed and I won't need them for 2 weeks. So far, I've only flooded with white and plan on letting them dry before I proceed. Anyhow, I'm going to need to freeze them. Is it better to put them in the cello and then in a freezer ziploc? How do I defrost?

Thanks so much. I really want to get this right.

Vonda

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 6

As long as there isn't a lot of bright colors, they will freeze and thaw fine. You can spread them out on a baking sheet, or just thaw them in the bag. either way will work.

If you put them in the cello and take them out, it can leave streaks or smears in the bag.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 6

Is it possible to freeze the cookies with just the white "flood", thaw them out and then add the accents? The accents are red, yellow and black.

What about freezing cookies that are baked but not yet decorated?

Thanks so much. I don't know what I would do without this board.

Vonda

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 6

The only risk is possible condensation on the bright colors could cause bleeding. If you package them in a sealed container and thaw them in the container, the condensation will form on the outside of the container, not on the cookies. Otherwise, they freeze well at any stage in the process.

cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 6

Kaybaby-I've frozen cookies that were un-iced, and others that were completely finished. I was a doubting Thomas about freezing iced cookies but I had a delivery that was delayed a week due to weather, so I didn't figure I had any choice. I froze them in tupperware containers with waxed paper on top of the layers and thawed them the same way, with the lids still on. I was pleasantly surprised the next day, they were fine. And the most surprising part was some of the cookies were basecoated with RED icing, and royal blue. No bleeding, or blotching. They were fine. I'm a believer now!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 6

I would reccomend freezing them with just the white. I have had some bleed and some not when decorated fully and frozen. If you can finish later, better to be safe. I have frozen in stacks in rubbermaid or ziplock bags. Just make sure you leave in containor to thaw, until completely thawed and then layout and dry before finishing the decorating. You can easily freeze before decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%