Beware Of This Company!

Business By cocorum21 Updated 24 May 2010 , 2:06pm by leah_s

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 20

I hope it's ok to post it here. I'm really upset with this company. Actually I am @%^$% pissed! But it is a business forum so here it is:

THIS COMPANY IS A RIPOFF!!!!

Merchant Services Inc.
1001 Lower Landing Road Ste 108
Blackwood, NJ 08012
1-877-764-7900

Processing company is IRN PAYMENT SERVICES 1800-366-1388

I have had this merchant account for about 6 months. I signed a contract that had
NO AVS FEES
NO MONTHLY MINIMUM
NO YEARLY FEES
AND NO WHERE IN THE CONTRACT WAS THERE A CANCELLATION FEE OR AUTHORIZATION TO WITHDRAW MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT ON A WHIM
I am starting a new business so I opened an account just to have the credit card services. I only put money in that account when I need to write a check for something. Needless to say there is rarely any money in the account.

So, since Iâve had my merchant account I have been charged a $15 monthly minimum, and of course I had no money in the account to cover it so I was charged $32 overdraft. I called and faxed over the statement and they did refund the money but not the overdraft that I was charged due to their âmistakeâ. Also other small misc. charges like- for a stupid plate that goes in an old fashion sliding credit card machine, why they hell do I need this when I just bought a brand new fucking electronic machine from you?

Two months ago I was charged $45 yearly fee, again not in my contract. Still have yet to get that money back after faxing over the statement 3 times. Finally, I faxed over the paperwork to close the account. The last question on the cancellation paper was âWhat could Merchant Services have done to continue serving your processing needs?â My answer: Stop charging me fees that are not in my contract.

I figured since they are just going to charge me whatever they want when they want I will just find another company to deal with. Well, I check my account online today and they decided to write themselves a check out of my account for $199. I have a copy of the check online. I guess they have some system where it prints out a check with your account # and because they do have access to my account the check was cashed. There is no signature it just says âsignature on fileâ and above that it says âCHECK BY PHONEâ

AT NO TIME DID I GIVE THEM PERMISSION TO JUST WRITE THEMSELVES A CHECK! ESPECIALLY AFTER CANCELLING MY ACCOUNT! And I sure as hell didnât call them and tell them to write themselves a check. And it doesnât have anything in my contract about a cancellation fee so I am wondering why they just took my money. Of course they arenât open today(Sunday). But this is beyond believable. Of course I had money in the account this time so I could pay the rent for my store which now I have to call them and give them another check because Iâm going to go close my bank account.

Iâve called my bank and now have to go in and fill out an affidavit stating that I never authorized a check by phone so they can get my money back, if thatâs even possible. Can you imagine signing a contract and you still arenât protected against thieves?

This is frustrating to say the least. And while $200 is a lot of money I wonât go broke and this wonât stop me, but itâs a bitch that these companies will do this because they think they can get away with screwing the little guy.

I'm seething icon_evil.gif
LL

19 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 20

I'm sorry you had this experience.

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 20

UNBELIEVABLE!!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 20

I am so sorr this happened to you too. People today are just unbelievable!!!

Have you contacted the BBB? That may help some or atleast red flag them for other in the future. K'ly

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 20

Sorry that you're going through this nightmare. I'll have to check when I go into the office tomorrow to see if this is the same "Merchant Services" company that our bank has used for years.

How did you set up this account? Did you meet with a representative from their company? If so, I'd be calling that rep. first thing tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I'd read the fine print in that contract. I've set up merchant accounts in the past, and each time I remember there being a clause that states they can debit your account for various fees without your prior approval. They can either debit the account electronically or using the "check by phone" method. If they aren't charging monthly fees or annual fees, they usually have a cancelation fee.

Jocmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 20

Sorry that you're going through this nightmare. I'll have to check when I go into the office tomorrow to see if this is the same "Merchant Services" company that our bank has used for years.

How did you set up this account? Did you meet with a representative from their company? If so, I'd be calling that rep. first thing tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I'd read the fine print in that contract. I've set up merchant accounts in the past, and each time I remember there being a clause that states they can debit your account for various fees without your prior approval. They can either debit the account electronically or using the "check by phone" method. If they aren't charging monthly fees or annual fees, they usually have a cancelation fee.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 20

The best advice that I can give you is to never ever ever ever EVER give a company access to your account like that. Never give them your routing number and checking account number, because things like this will happen!
Pay the bill monthly yourself, but do not give them access to your funds.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 20

Sic 'em, honey!!

Be sure to contact the BBB and any banking authorities that oversee such businesses/practices, reporting a complaint.

I don't blame ya for bein' p*ssed, I sure would too!!!

cocorum21 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

The best advice that I can give you is to never ever ever ever EVER give a company access to your account like that. Never give them your routing number and checking account number, because things like this will happen!
Pay the bill monthly yourself, but do not give them access to your funds.

This is how all merchant companies work. They need your # in order to deposit the $ that you rang up in credit card sales that is how they take their % fees out also. Even with paypal you have to give them your account # if you want to transfer the money into your bank account. It's just the way it works.

Jocmom, I set up the account on the phone. I actually chose them icon_rolleyes.gif They emailed me the contract that I still have a copy of. I just read it again and it doesn't say anything about them being able to order more services for me or write themselves a check or a cancellation fee.

still seething icon_evil.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 20

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Of course that makes sense for the deposit.
With Paypal, I have a debit card with them, but they are also very reputable, so I don't worry. This place sounds pretty scary. I bet if you dug a bit, you'd find some dirt on them.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 20

Let us know how it turns out and THANK YOU for the warning about that company.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 20

If your contract really doesn't have any fees associated with it including a cancellation fee and you have the full copy of the contract then you need to speak with a lawyer who can double check everything in the contract.

Good luck

Jocmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 20

A thought just popped into my head . . . did you return the terminal that you use for transactions? I wonder if they are charging you for that machine - their little way of making sure you return it to them now that you've canceled your account with them.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 20

OmG I am not the only one this company is ripping off!!

They have been charging me fees for everything just like you. I finally closed my account and thankfully I didn't keep enough money in there for them to write themselves a check.

I got a phone call stating I owed them $80 - I was like hum I've only used your services twice and I've NEVER even seen a detailed bill. How can you just call and say I owe you something and not send me a statement. Finally after a week I got an e-bill where they were nickle and diming my account to death. I only used them twice in 6 months. I've been getting cash/check upfront from the majority of my clients. When I saw the bill it said monthly fees and late fees. My contract doesn't state most of these charges either.

I'm still fighting with them on this $80. icon_mad.gif

Good luck I hope it turns out better for you.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks for posting this!!! I'm looking into new services like this, now I know not to use this company. Has anyone had a similar experience like this with any other co. & is there a good one out there?

cocorum21 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 20

I bought the terminal outright through their auction on ebay...

Posh I was going to close the accout after I faxed them the cancellation cause I figured they would try to get money out, but I never thought it would be that much.

I just got back from the bank and they are going to investigate. So now the account has a hold on it and I have to track down people that I've written checks to so I can give them a new check.

Still seething icon_evil.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #17 of 20

They are SCAMS. My company has dealt with them and we've had to have our attorney's issue a ceast and desist....I don't fully understand what happened, but this company is no good and we are a major corporation - restaurants around the globe - and for us to have our legal team go after them, it must have been pretty bad.

Stay away from them!!!!!

dan1305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dan1305 Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:37pm
post #18 of 20

EMS also known as IRN 877-764-7900 this along with apx 5 or 6 other numbers all go to the same little room where the same little people are sitting around answering the phone laughing as they transfer you from one to the other never getting anywhere & heaven forbid you try to get your banks phone number or account. We finally ended up with a bank in Las Vegas. Does this suprise anyone they didn't have a clue who we were. We also signed a contract with this company for no fees etc. Each month however, more & more money was siphoned off of our account and we were powerless to stop it! We had to finally tell them that we went out of business & there would be no more money into that account. Someone named Dave said no problem I'll cancel it right now so no one can use your account. He was supposed to send a confirmation e-mail for us to sign, that was 3 weeks ago. So far no sign of an e-mail or Dave. Is there something that can be done or are we just to remain victims of this fraudulent company or of this mob/organized crime?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:36am
post #19 of 20

I went with BBT only because I found a rep there that has worked there forever. I dont beleive she is going any where and whenever I have a question, she knows the answer or can direct me to someone who does. I have used them for years and been fine. Good Luck

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #20 of 20

Wow. I've used Merchant Service for years, like 13 and found them to be comparable to any other company. There really are only a couple of credit card processing services. The others are "resellers." II', currently getting my credit card processing thru Sam's Club, so if there's a problem, Sam;s goes to fight for me. Easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%