When You Refrigerate Your Cake Do You?

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm by pottedmeatchunks

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:29am
post #1 of 10

When you refrigerate your cakes, covered with buttercream, do you do anything to keep them "fresh"? Thanks in advance.

9 replies
ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:58am
post #2 of 10

I never fridge the cake unless it has a filling that will spoil.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 10

I just put them in a cake box.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 10

ditto on the cake box. Thats all I use too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 10

Never refrigerate because the two times I've refrigerated (due to cream cheese filling), I've had problems with the icing "melting" when removed from the cold environment and with my roses falling off.

So in my ever so never humble opinion, refrigerating a cake is bad ... very bad! icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 10

I only refrigerate buttercream cakes that have no gum paste decorations on them (they get soft in the fridge), I do like to have my tiered buttercream cakes cold, I think they transport better. (I avoid any perishable fillings, as a wedding cake just sits out too long and that is about all I do these days is wedding cakes) But I agree, do watch out for your decorations as your buttercream will get very soft and sweat a little after you take it out of the fridge.

I dont cover them or anything. Although my fridge is dedicated just to cakes. Otherwise, a box would do fine.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 10

Ok all...................I have 3 quarter sheets to do tomorrow for a Sat Baptism. I'm having carpal tunnel surgery Tues so no cakes for me for six weeks icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Anyway, I was going to freeze them and give them to her Sat, not a good idea? It will be all BC with roses and fillings. Should I get someone else to do them? Thanks for asking this question. Didn't mean to take over the thread but I'm curious as what to do, never froze a totally decorated cake before.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the responses. I have been putting them nside clean plastic bags. My problem is creases in my buttercream. It sure kept my cakes nice and fresh. However, what I will do now is put in boxes first and then the plastic.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 10

Can we do the same with buttercream cakes? Put them in boxes then inside of a bag, would you thaw in the refridgerator? Thanks for any advice.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 10

Well I keep my apartment at 78-80F in the summer so leaving a buttercream cake outside the fridge is not an option. I always refridgerate mine, not in a box just loosely wrapped in plastic wrap. My fridge has no room for boxes. The outer shell of icing (about 1/16 inch) gets pretty hard but under that the cake is perfectly fine. Ive left a partially prepared wedding cake in the fridge like that for 5 days without a problem, the bride said it tasted fabulous and recommended me to her friend whose wedding cake I'm making next month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%