Keeping Cake Fresh Over Long Period

Decorating By sailers2 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 5:54am by JoAnnB

sailers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sailers2 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:44am
post #1 of 2

My daughter wants me to make her wedding cake. No big deal. I have made several in the past including my own. However, I live in Alaska and the wedding is in Virginia. We are flying out on a Monday and the wedding is that Saturday. (The wedding is the middle of October.)

I have been trying to come up with a way to bake the cake here and frost and decorate it there. That takes a lot of hassle and mess out of it. I have been thinking about baking it, wrapping well and freezing. Then Fed-Exing to Virginia still frozen the day we leave.

I want to make WASCC with rasberry filling. The cake will be a 6, 9, and 12 inch stacked cake.

Do you think this will work? I just don't want the cake to be stale by sitting out for that amount of time. Frosting right away might help to keep it moist - I don't know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little stumped on the best way to do this.

Janet St. John

1 reply
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:54am
post #2 of 2

Well wrapped and still frozen, it should be fine when it gets there. Should it seem dry when you torte it, you can use a little simple syrup to wash it with.

However, consider a fall back position should the cake not reach the destination whole. You need a back up plan, just in case. Perhaps knowing where a reasonable store bakery can sell you cake layers in an emergency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%