Leahs And Sps Rock!!!!!!!

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 27 Sep 2014 , 3:48pm by Chloezee

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #1 of 18

I don't have the pics uploaded yet (I'll do that tomorrow, when I'm not quite so buzzed from tonight's festivities, ie. maybe just 1 too many Captain Morgan and coke LOL) but I had to share my excitement. I made my 3 tiered football cake for a suprise party for a retiring police officer. The cake turned out well (even though there were a couple of bumps along the way) and was delivered with nary a problem. And I got to use SPS for the first time and the verdict is.... I LOVE IT!!! We had to travel approx. 30 minutes into the city (amongst Friday evening rush hour, mind you) and hubby was driving (eek.. cops are the worst drives, btw!). The cake didn't even waver!!! There was only a minor (and I mean MINOR) mishap in that a tiny section of the border around the bottom of the second tier slid just a teeny tiny bit - more due to the heat in the back of my jeep liberty than anything else (but hubby didn't even notice until I practically stuck my finger on the section and said "HERE!") The officers who ordered the cake LOVED it. The guest of honor loved it. Everyone who tasted it LOVED it. And I am in love with SPS.

Thank you Leah for your wonderful instructions on how to use it.

Now, if I can just get hubby to buy a compound miter saw to make cutting down the columns a tiny bit easier, we'd be good to go (yeah, yeah... my tiers aren't quite 4", so I had to cut a little off the columns so the tiers didn't "float".).

Anyway... I'll get pics up tomorrow...

17 replies
Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:36am
post #2 of 18

What is SPS?

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 18

What is SPS?

butterflywings Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 18

single plate system for stacking cakes. i LOVE it.. it is sooo easy to use and the cake doesn't move. i'm using it again on friday (i'll upload both pics then, having trouble with my memory card being read by the laptop)

kels_bells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kels_bells Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 18

Where can you buy them and do you have the link to Leah's post?
Do you ask the client to give them back or do you work them into your overall price?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 18

Aww . . .I'm so glad you love SPS as much as I do. Another voice for the SPS chorus!

(I don't think I've seen my name as part of the title of a post before . . .)

butterflywings Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 18

kels_bells - see the signature in Leah's post above, you can get them at Global Sugar Art. I was at the party this first time I used them, so easily got them back. My hubby will be at the next one (it's in his building) and both he and the person who ordered the cake from me will be given instructions to bring them back. However, they are not that expensive, so it won't be a huge issue if I don't get 'em back.

Leah - I wouldn't have fully understood how to use SPS if it weren't for your instructions, which are very clear and easily understood. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 18

Awesome! I just bought some - can't wait to try them.

Where's the pic butterflywings?

butterflywings Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:29am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

i'll upload both pics then, having trouble with my memory card being read by the laptop

i have to find my usb cable for my digital camera b/c for some reason my laptop isn't reading the memory card when i stick it in the slot... i'll get it up soon, i promise... probably once i finish the other cake i'm doing for this same officer that is due on friday.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #10 of 18

Would it be unreasonable to ask for them back from a customer? I know they are disposable, but......

butterflywings Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #11 of 18

i don't think it's unreasonable....

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #12 of 18

I guess as long as they are easily washable. I have to wash my cake pans, icing tips, and everything else that touches a cake, so it's not like it would be gross or anything. I guess I don't want to come off as "cheap" by asking for them back if I don't charge them (or charge and then refund when they return them like you guys do for other things?).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #13 of 18

I charge $20 for the SPS and customers do not complain. In fact they LOVE not having to return anything. The legs will chip after a couple of uses. They are made to be disposable.

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #14 of 18

Okay. I guess I find them expensive because I'm not doing wedding cakes and I can't see someone paying that much, but then again, if they want a large party cake, I'll make em pay for it or they can go somewhere else. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #15 of 18

I love SPS too and Leah turned me onto them! I did a topsy turvy with them! I just add them into my cost to my customers...they don't even know that they're paying for them and I don't ask for them back.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #16 of 18

Oh, and you can get them at oasissupply.com if you purchase them in a large quantity.

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #17 of 18

I guess I'm not charging enough if I can slip in 20 bucks and the customer doesn't notice. icon_smile.gif

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 3:48pm
post #18 of 18

I still think that they ought to know about you - and that you need a great big prize from them for doing SO much groundwork on their behalf. I do hope they notice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%