What Did I Do Wrong?! (Ganache)

Baking By mom2spunkynbug Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 12:43am by mkolmar

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 4

I have made chocolate ganache plenty of times. Dark choc ganache, milk choc ganache - every time it has come out awesome!

Well today I'm making white choc ganache - didn't think it would be that much different - and it's horrible!!! I just substituted the dark choc with white choc (Ghiradelli). My ganache recipe also has heavy cream, a little butter & a little sugar. I really don't like this! I mean, I'm not a big fan of white choc in general, but this...omg - I do NOT want to serve this for my tasting tomorrow!

Any ideas on what I should do? Maybe take out the butter? It's awfully yellow looking icon_confused.gif Unfortunately I don't have any cream left icon_cry.gif but I can make some tomorrow.

Thanks in advance...

3 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:03am
post #2 of 4

When I make ganache, I use only cream and chocolate. Equal weights each. Maybe try that? Good luck!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 4

White chocolate ganache is tricky. I have made several failed attempts at it.

The best advice that I can give you is to first take out the butter and sugar, they only complicate things. Second, try making a small batch instead of one big batch, that way if you get a bad batch you arent throwing away $20 worth of cream and chocolate. Third, try out a couple of different ratios using oz. as your measurements. Try 4oz. of cream and 4oz. of chocolate (food scale is a must!). Did that give you the consistancy/flavor that you want?

If not discard and start over. If it was too runny, and didnt set up well, then try 6oz. of chocolate to 4oz. of cream. If it was too stiff, and didnt spread well, try 6oz. of cream and 4oz. of chocolate. Its a complicated game with chocolate. Humidity, temperature, and length of cooling all play a part. I find that when making ganache, I have different amounts of cream in the winter than I do in the summer. Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif

HTH, and good luck! I know you can do it! thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 4

Look at chef Taz's recipe on here for ganache1. There is a note at the bottom for making white chocolate ganache. I believe it says to double the amount of cream when making white chocolate ganache, but I may be wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%