Please Help With Graduation Cap

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm by jammjenks

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #1 of 14

I am making a graduation cake with a 3D cap from the mini wondermold. For the square top of the cap, I am using a piece of cardboard to wrap the fondant/gumpaste mix around, but it keeps wripping at the corners and edges. I tried wrapping the piece of cardboard in a plastic bag then covering, but it keeps wripping.......any ideas....

13 replies
dogluvr Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #2 of 14

anyone?

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #3 of 14

My only advise would be to try using thicker fondant... hopefully you can get a better answer...

dogluvr Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #4 of 14

I did start out with thicker fondant, then went thinner but the result was the same.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 14

ok try rolling a thin long snake and wrapping that around the edges like a coffe table guard... then cover with fondant this will round the edges...

dogluvr Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #6 of 14

ok, will try that.....thanks

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #7 of 14

I just made two of these recently. I used a foam poster board found it at my local craft store. Cut it to size, and then put a thin layer of buttercream on it. Rolled my fondant out (kinda thick) placed the iced foam board down, and carefully wrapped the fondant around it, just like wrapping a present. I know I have heard to that you can add gumtex to the fondant to make it more pliable maybe that would help with the ripping thing too. I did have one tear slightly but just kinda smoothed it together, and it was fine. Hope this helps good luck!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:17am
post #8 of 14

There's a photo in my pictures of a graduation cap cake (two layers of the smallest oval pan) and a Quickbooks cake. I used a cardboard cakeboard for the top and had no problems at all. I brushed the outer half inch of the board with piping gel, layed the board on the fondant, brushed the bottom of the board with piping gel where the fondant was to be, then folded the fondant over onto the "bottom" of the board. Once the corners were mitered and smoothed I flipped the whole thing over and let it dry. The tassle was done with a clay gun and dry-dusted with gold luster dust.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #9 of 14

When I made my son's graduation cake I made the No Fail sugar cookie recipe and made the top part of the cap a cookie. I iced it with regular red buttercream. Man was it good tasting too...I ate it ....that is after the cake was cut and stuff...

dogluvr Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #10 of 14

thanks everyone for your replies.......maybe I need some gumtex...maybe my fondant is too dry.....

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 14

I made this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230835

I didn't wrap anything. I used a fondant/gumpaste mixture. I covered one part of the inverted small wondermold pan. Then just rolled out a 5" square piece and let it dry until it was hard. I had to use an exacto knife and cut off a small part of the top of the rounded cap so that the flat square would sit on top. Does that make sense?

dogluvr Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #12 of 14

jammjenks...thanks....yours looks great and sounds easy. I thought about trying it but didn't think it would harden enough....I have another this week...I'll try that.....thank you

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #13 of 14

I made one using candy melts in the mini ball pan and a 4" square pan. It was the easiest thing I have ever done!
LL

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 14

Ok, don't keep us waiting. What did you decide to do? Did you post a picture?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%