The Master Plan

Business By sweettoothmom Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 1:19am by eiyapet

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 3

I have been decorating cakes for special occassions now since the mid 90's and have decided to try it on a part time basis as an occupation.
As part of my "master plan" I am entering 2 of my cakes, one wedding and one western themed, in our county fair. If they win or place they then will need to go to the state level. I dont want to have to recreate it and I am afraid my original will not survive the fair staff for the state level competition. So I decided to try the perma ice on a cake dummy. My hopes are the WOW factor and get some recognition for my work in the eyes of the public. Then I plan to release a press release to the area papers and saturate our area with promotional items. I realize I am missing out on the June Wedding season but I would rather get a slow start and work into the busy season than to jump straight into the fire.

I am in need of the advice of the "Well Seasoned" Pro's here at CC.
The lady who made our wedding cake has been in the business for longer than I was alive and it has been rumored to want to retire. Should I contact her and ask to be her assitant until she does retire and then buy her out? Is that a good way in the door or should I just jump on in and teach myuself to swim in these royal icing waters?

2 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 3

It sounds like this lady may be the one to work with for as long as possible then you can decide if you want to buy her out or start on your own.

Good luck!

eiyapet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eiyapet Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #3 of 3

You might as well ask, the worst she can do is say no. Even if you do a free apprentiship type arrangement you will get to see what it is all about. I love working with other decorators, someone always knows something you don't and it is a great way to learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%