Uh Oh.. Caramel Too Thick!

Baking By peacenique Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm by JodieF

peacenique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacenique Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 5

I'm hoping someone will have some ideas.

I made the "Thick Caramel Dip/Filling" from this site.
It's gotten SO thick that now that it's cool I can hardly get any out of the pot! So much for using it as a filling for a wedding cake I have been asked to make.
The person who submitted the recipe says she's filled cakes with it. Perhaps i did something wrong? I watched the temperature carefully.

So now that I have this batch of extremely thick caramel (that tastes like heaven) is there anything I can do to thin it to use as a cake filling? Maybe I could add it to something to lighten it? Mind you, it has to be warmed to thin it enough to add to anything, so maybe it would melt anything you wanted to try.

Perhaps I just need to try a different recipe...

Thank you,
Maija

4 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 5

Are you sure you didn't cook it too long? It should only good to the soft ball stage.
Maybe you can add a little whipping cream to thin it down?

Jodie

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 5

I think heavy cream could work. At least you have the option of trying it before you mak e a complete new batch of carmel. Just add it only about a tbsp at a time while its "just" warm till it gets to the point that you can stir it pretty easily, then let it cool and see if it works. Good Luck.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 5

Where's the recipe? Without reading it. I would suggest either butter, or H cream. A lil bit at a time though.

Mike

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 5

I'm guessing, from her description, that it's my recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6851-76-Thick-Caramel-Sauce-or-Filling.html

The only problems I've had with it was the time I overcooked it and it got very, very thick. Turned out I needed a new candy thermometer.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%