I Charge More Than Mike Mccarey?!?

Decorating By BrandisBaked Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm by LeanneW

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:46am
post #31 of 43

He boxes and flies them as a cargo/freight item, just like Sylvia Weinstock....I saw that on Cake Masters.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:47am
post #32 of 43

Mikes amazing cakes is located about an hour North of me. I had a gal contact me for my helmet cake and out of curiosity I emailed Mike to see how much he would charge for the same cake. I sold my 3-D helmet cake for $160.00 and he quoted me $460.00. This was last August. This is about $11.00 per serving for this cake. Oh, it serves 30-40.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:49am
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

His base price per serving for 1-100 servings is $2.30, and if the cake is over 300 servings, the price drops to $1.95 per serving!!!!

Now I'm sure that's just for the basic buttercream cakes, etc... but my no-frills base price is $3.50 per serving!!

I am in his area...

As I understand, and I might be wrong, that base price is just for the cake, no frosting, not decorated!

It goes up from there and from what I've heard it goes way up. I heard of a bride who's cake was close to $2000.

Don't get me wrong, I believe his cakes are worth every penny he charges. I believe his pricing to be very misleading. I don't know why he does that.

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:50am
post #34 of 43

I watched a show that featured Mike. He ships his cakes on commerical flights that is really expensive. I agree with everyone his work is amazing.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:13am
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter1979

I had never heard of Mike before this post - thank you for posting the website, his work is MUCH better than Duff's - much more realistic looking than Duff's. I have no comment on the price...but think his work is worth much more than a lot of other "celebrity" decorators.

I guess everyone is saying he's better than Duff but if you think about it Duff is the owner, knows about decorating and has the license,but in reality the one who makes all the hard work is Jeff and the rest of the team! (personal opinion) and don't take it the wrong way, I love the show! icon_razz.gif but Mike's cakes are just that AMAZING!!!!!!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #36 of 43

My DH is in the transportation business and he said there is a counter to counter service you can use...where you have a courier pick up the cake and then it is hand placed in the plane and then another courier picks it up at the counter at the other end. (or the customer) It is VERY expensive! What Mike is he puts the cake in a see through box so you see it is a cake and so inspectors don't have to open it. You also have to pack it in a special base, so it won't tip over.

When I took my Nick Lodge class, I flew in and my cake (even though it was fake) was sent to me UPS. It was a three tiered cake I made in class, and they put it in a very sturdy box, wrapped toilet paper all around it, and really cushioned it well. It arrive with no damage. Now this was a fake cake, but I was surprised how well all the gum paste and such survived! (the topper I brought home on the airplane with me...they gave me a see through box and I had so many people stop me in the airport to look at the topper (it was all gum paste flowers) ! I gave out like 20 biz cards! haha)

ladyonzlake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #37 of 43

Oh I agree that Mike's cakes are "amazing"!!

I was a customer service agent for 10 years at a major airline and my husband is still a Captain for the airlines. Since 911 the counter to counter service is very different. You have to place an application with "each" airline that you will be shipping with. This takes about 3-4 weeks to process. Once approved they send you a letter requesting you call to set an appointment for them to come out to visit your location and approve it. This also cost you a fee for them to do this.

crazylikeapom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazylikeapom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Quote:

Mikes amazing cakes is located about an hour North of me. I had a gal contact me for my helmet cake and out of curiosity I emailed Mike to see how much he would charge for the same cake. I sold my 3-D helmet cake for $160.00 and he quoted me $460.00. This was last August. This is about $11.00 per serving for this cake. Oh, it serves 30-40.

Don't you think he prices the way he does for a reason? I've seen in person his Helmet cakes, a friend of mine got one for their birthday a while back, and they are AMAZING. He truly lives up to his name!!! He has won so many Food Network challenges so I think anyone would be willing to pay A LITTLE more for that....you pay for what you get! icon_smile.gif

crazylikeapom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazylikeapom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

His base price per serving for 1-100 servings is $2.30, and if the cake is over 300 servings, the price drops to $1.95 per serving!!!!

Now I'm sure that's just for the basic buttercream cakes, etc... but my no-frills base price is $3.50 per serving!!

I am in his area...

As I understand, and I might be wrong, that base price is just for the cake, no frosting, not decorated!

It goes up from there and from what I've heard it goes way up. I heard of a bride who's cake was close to $2000.

Don't get me wrong, I believe his cakes are worth every penny he charges. I believe his pricing to be very misleading. I don't know why he does that.

Where did you hear that its with no frosting? On their website and flyers it says that the cake comes with a set of legs and buttercream with a border. I think their pricing starts at that and goes up if it's going to be a sculpted cake, so I think the $2,000 cake must've been a masterpiece!!!!

LeanneW Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylikeapom

Where did you hear that its with no frosting? On their website and flyers it says that the cake comes with a set of legs and buttercream with a border. I think their pricing starts at that and goes up if it's going to be a sculpted cake, so I think the $2,000 cake must've been a masterpiece!!!!

Like I said... I wasn't sure. I had heard from another decorator here that they had spoken to the $2000.00 cake bride.

I guess I am wrong, it does include frosting. Not sure if it was a masterpiece, I didn't get to see it.

ladyonzlake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #41 of 43

Oh I totally agree that Mike is "amazing"!! We're all just wondering why his starting price is so low!

Starr_Brite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starr_Brite Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:31am
post #42 of 43
Quote:

I am in his area...

Please read my previous posts. I got my wedding cake from Mike's as well as a groom's cake and later a birthday cake. You are incorrect in your assumption that his pricing doesn't include icing. I can't even begin to guess how you ever came up with that.

He definately doesn't list all the pricing on his website, but the woman I met with was really clear about all of the pricing for each element (fondant, edible ribbon borders, basic designs, etc.) Completely the opposite of misleading.

As far as a $2000 wedding cake... I'm sure that they've had cakes that cost that much, but from the pricng I was given, it would have had to be a huge, elaborate cake to cost that much. And again, my wedding was in June, so the pricing I have should be pretty current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Oh I totally agree that Mike is "amazing"!! We're all just wondering why his starting price is so low!

My guess is that he charges what he does because of the volume of business he does. If he's making 30 to 50 cakes a week (which is what I was told when I ordered), he's getting his ingredients in fairly large quantities and is probably getting pretty good deals them. That, and like someone else said, it's obvious that his fame hasn't gone to his head and he's not trying to get rich by raising prices to match his ability and noteriety.

LeanneW Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #43 of 43

[quote="Starr_Brite"]

Quote:

I am in his area...

Please read my previous posts. I got my wedding cake from Mike's as well as a groom's cake and later a birthday cake. You are incorrect in your assumption that his pricing doesn't include icing. I can't even begin to guess how you ever came up with that.
[quote]

Please read my post, right above yours, where I said that I was wrong. Where did I come up with that, I explained that I heard it from someone else second hand. Obviously a lesson in rumor control. I believe that Mike's work is stunning and, like I said, worth any price he would ask or it.

Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%