Ruined Wedding?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 1:14am by Shelle_75

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #31 of 54

My DH and I threw a wedding brunch. We invited people for a party and just got married. I made all the food.....oven french toast, egg casserole, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, muffins and coffee cakes on every table. I made a 3 tier white chocolate lemon wedding cake.

Anyway, we got there in the morning to set up and it was hotter then heck in there. The manager said he'd just kicked the AC down and it would cool off fast. Uh huh. This was the end of July, on a day that was supposed to top 100. The shelves were missing in one of the ovens, which kinda sorta made it useless. There was a water leak and the kitchen floor was flooded. icon_lol.gif So, we waded and tried not to fall on our a$$es. We found out an hour before the party started that the 2 cases of champagne we'd put in the cooler the night before were gone. My 12 year old son accidentally knocked the top tier of our wedding cake into the trash. I came around a corner to find him sobbing.

It never did cool off in there. We drank cheap champagne that a friend ran out and bought. The buttercream slid right off the cake by the time we cut it and I don't think anyone ate it. We took turns running into the walk in cooler to cool off! icon_biggrin.gif But, the day was perfect!! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:02am
post #32 of 54

When you have a MOB who blows her top because she is not happy w/the colored trim on DD's cake even though it matched the paint chip I was given.
This MOB yelled, screamed and threw a fit, calling attention to it to anyone who came near. Then just before bride takes her walk down to the front she whispers to DD that her cake was ruined icon_sad.gif
This happened w/a cake I made about 5 yrs ago.
MOB came into my shop on Tues following the wedding and proceeded to read me the riot act again until I had to throw her out. Even her DH wouldn't get her to stop yelling.
Yep, I ruined her DD's wedding!

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #33 of 54

You know, 10 years later, I don't even recall looking at my wedding cake all that closely. I sure wouldn't have noticed a slightly off-center topper, or a crack in the icing. For me, it wasn't the centerpiece of the wedding. In my memory, it was beautiful, but so was everything else!

We've recently been asked to do our first wedding cake - and it'll be a big one...probably serving 300-400 people. We've said we won't do wedding cakes because we don't want to be responsible for "ruining" the bride's big day if she's not pleased with our work. This MOB assures me that her daughter is so laid back that small imperfections won't bother her in the least. Also this MOB is a cake decorator herself so at least she knows that things can go wrong, and hopefully has realistic expectations. Anyway, we have about 7 months to obsess over it before we have to make it!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #34 of 54

Gosh, let's see...during our wedding ceremony the ring bearer was jumping up and down and trying to blow out the candles around the altar(his dad, the best man, FINALLY took him to sit with his mother); the heel on my "something old" shoe broke and I went sliding down the steps from the pulpit as we had just completed our vows; one of the bridesmaids bolted from the reception after putting in her obligatory 10 minutes; the groom's family was pi$$ed that there was no alcohol at the reception and the entire evening ended with us being nearly fogged in!

The cake? I'm sure there was cake but, good grief, I don't even remember what it looked like, what color or flavor it was!!!

Some brides or family members of the bride make a much bigger deal out of a very minor flaw just so they can feel superior, they love to complain or to try and get something comped. I think the only way a cake would seriously ruin a wedding is if it made everyone sick.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #35 of 54

For a young bride it ruins it for them... for that moment in time.

In the long term they look back and see it doesn't really ruin it at all.

When we bought our van I really wanted a durango. When I realized that the durango wasn't happening and we were leaving in a mini van instead it kind fo ruined it for me. It wasn't what I wanted, and it wasn't what I had my heart set on.

Then when we went to pick the color we had white or light blue to choose from. We didn't want either color but went with light blue because we both hate white cars.

When I look back on that day we didn't go floating out of the dealership and they knew it. I was satisified but not estatic. Hubby was his quiet self that strangers take as "pissed off" because he just doesn't talk much and when he does it's a few words.

The dealership manager came over and was offering us the moon. Life time this, life time that, upgrade on the CD player, model upgrade etc. because he knew I down graded my desires TWICE and hubby once. He knew we were ok with the deal but wanted us walking out with "wow".

Even with all the extras we were not leaving with the wow factor because we didn't get what we wanted.

We love our van but it wasn't what we wanted.

Same thing with wedding cakes. It's what you dream of since 5 years old for most girls and when they don't have it go right or that "wow" factor it stings.

Some walk on and don't look back while for other it stings for a long time.

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #36 of 54

I made my sisters wedding cake, the bottom layer was nearly demolished in a near car accident on the way there.

I was more upset than she was! I fixed/hid the damage...she never noticed her cake was put in a nice corner instead of the center of the room.

I would have understood her being upset though, after all, you only get ONE wedding!

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:12am
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

for the OCD / bridezillas -- why yes, if it ain't absotootly perfect -- omg!!!!! it ruined EVERYTHING (dramatic wail, toss of hair, sniffle)

these are the ones for whom it is an all consuming lifelong dream/show/fantasy starring them.

of course so many starlets (spears, et. al.) have set the model so to speak, throwing all their little glam hissy fit and well, "i'm a star/princess too!" (stamp feet, pout, fling hair, sniffle)

they seriously need to
get a life
be brought back to messy reality

BWHA HA HA HA HA HA HA this made me laugh so hard! It is so true. Todays brides (the younger generations those born 1980 on) are so self entitled to everything it is RIDICULOUS! Shame on thier mama's is all I can say. Shame shame.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #38 of 54

My wedding cake was pretty and what I ordered, but it wasn't that tasty. Didn't really care. For me, the wedding was more about getting married than having a perfect dessert.

Still, like some others have pointed out, if you spend $700 on a cake, you expect it to be beautiful and tasty, but a minor imperfection is not going to ruin a wedding.

dragonsanddaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonsanddaffodils Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:31am
post #39 of 54

yourstrulytx.

You are SO right - hit the nail exactly on the head there.

I think brides are getting so caught up with the showmanship side of the wedding, they forget what the day is ACTUALLY all about.

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:30am
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I think the people that say something like that 'ruined their wedding' have no idea what actual suffering is like. Like has been mentioned, it's that self-absorbed, "charmed life" mentality.

3 days before my wedding I was sitting on my couch working on *something*, talking to my mom on the phone as she was working on my wedding cake (I didn't do cakes back then) and had to tell her to hold on a second so I could turn up the volume on the TV and see what the weird news flash was all about. It looked like a building on fire or something. I turned it up and watched in 'real time' as the second plane hit the second of the twin towers. Talk about ruining a wedding! Guests couldn't come because of all the planes being grounded. The minister had to DRIVE 15 hours just to get here to marry us. We lost our reception site because it was a military institution, had to have a half @ssed, last minute reception in the church basement. But you know what??? That was the most beautiful wedding I've ever been to! It wasn't ruined... because the people I loved had not been killed. Even the ones that couldn't be there with us... at least they were alive. And amidst this horror that had hit us, we were proof that life goes on, and that good *normal* things were still happening. It was an affirmation of life. I'm telling you, if that can't ruin a wedding, a crappy cake can't do it either!! icon_biggrin.gif

wow, that's the nicest thing i've heard in a long time icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #41 of 54

Thanks Magnum! I understand the feeling of disappointment if something isn't just what you imagined, but in the grand scheme, how important is it really? Enough to get upset for a little bit, maybe, but to ruin your life? Never. thumbs_up.gif

Edited to say if something "Isn't" what you imagined... little typos can change the whole meaning of a sentence!! icon_rolleyes.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #42 of 54

That is just so darned true

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #43 of 54

rotflmao......let's talk about a ruined wedding! Now granted, this was more of an impromptu wedding/elopement, but still - it's a bit of a chuckle.

On Feb. 12th, I decided I HAD to get married on Valentine's Day........in Reno, no less. (****I should probably add that I was young and stupid, blah, blah, blah.... icon_redface.gif ) Now most people know that you have to book months in advance to get a room on V-day.

My parents, having already made plans for that weekend, couldn't come. To this day, I can't remember why I was so insistent about this but me being a "grown up" (just turned 19 icon_cool.gif ), I was hell-bent on proving I was an "adult" and could therefore do as I wished. icon_razz.gif

Now what comes next is pretty much family legend.......I firmly believe that my Mother, in a brilliant fit of passive-aggresive rage at my spontaneous idiocy & compelete apathy toward her desire to be there for her only daughters wedding, proceeded to tell us that we would have "no problem" getting a room.......in Reno......on Valentine's Day!!! We should just drive up there and everything will work out fine! icon_evil.gif I'm sure you can guess the rest.....

We drove to Reno and, of course, every hotel within 30 miles was sold out. We didn't think to bring blankets or even pillows so we slept in our car in the parking lot of a Denny's in Carson City using our bathrobes for warmth. I got ready for my wedding in the bathroom of a gas station, taking what can only be describes as a 'ho-bath' icon_redface.gif in the sink and then did my hair at a Carl's Jr. (they had electrical outlets for my curling iron).

Now wouldn't it be great to top this delightful story off with a line about how 18 years later we still look back and laugh about it? Well, we do..........lol, but since we've been divorced for almost 16 years, it's not each other we are laughing with!

Not really relevent but I figured I would share my own wedding war story too! icon_smile.gif

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #44 of 54
Quote:

Thanks Magnum! I understand the feeling of disappointment if something isn't just what you imagined, but in the grand scheme, how important is it really? Enough to get upset for a little bit, maybe, but to ruin your life? Never. thumbs_up.gif

Edited to say if something "Isn't" what you imagined... little typos can change the whole meaning of a sentence!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not married but i do want to be a wedding planner (although the show bridezilla has scared the **** outta me lol) but i can understand the glamour and details of a wedding day. But what i can't understand, is why people would start a marriage off in debt because of a dress or turn into incredible hulk because the dj played your wedding song 35 seconds late.

I think your post showed the real meaning of marriage icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #45 of 54

Thanks again Magnum! And CakeDiva, your post really made me giggle! If I may... my grandparents who are now 92 and 89 got married when they were teens. My grandma is a teeny little thing (4'11" probably weighed 80 pounds) and looked so young that NO ONE would rent them a hotel room! They thought it was some sick guy (Gramps is 6'2") and an underage girl! No one wanted to contribute to that delinquincy! icon_lol.gif They spent their wedding night also in a car on the side of the highway! How romantic, eh? But, 69 years later, they can sit and laugh about it. They may argue like children some days (this happens at that age) but they still love each other, and they are the rock foundation of our family. They taught me what it meant to be married and what 'for better or worse' really means, because, believe me, they've seen both!!

I guess I am just in love with life right now, after just having my second child, or maybe I've hit that horrible 'grown up' stage that people are always warning me about, but I wish people would just pull the sticks out of their arses and start treating each other better, and enjoying the good things in life. Laugh at the mistakes, but learn from them. Be upset if you need to be, but get over it and move on for Pete's sake. (Whoever the heck Pete is... I'm always doing stuff for his sake. Someday he'd better send me a thank you note!) It's just like when a thread here turns ugly... I've learned to just walk away. Because I don't want to spend my valuable time being mad at someone I've never even met, or arguing about something that probably doesn't even matter in the long run.

Well, I suppose you've had just about enough out of me. Let me go put that soapbox back in the laundry room where it belongs! icon_rolleyes.gif I guess the moral of my story (or rambling... let's be honest!) is that life goes too quickly to spend all your time whining about what didn't go exactly to plan. I watch my kids grow before my very eyes and realize I have so little time... I want to savor every minute! (Someone remind me of that the next time I'm on here ragging about something or another!! Hahaha!) Hey, I never said you couldn't get mad, just don't let it consume you and waste your life!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #46 of 54

Melvira, that was very beautifully said - and poignant! Life is too short to fill it with pointless whining.

I got married two years ago. I can't remember what my cake looked like, but I do remember how happy I was...and still am.

icon_biggrin.gif

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

BWHA HA HA HA HA HA HA this made me laugh so hard! It is so true. Todays brides (the younger generations those born 1980 on) are so self entitled to everything it is RIDICULOUS! Shame on thier mama's is all I can say. Shame shame.

Hey, now, don't lump us all together! icon_wink.gif I was born in 86, and my wedding was all done by my mother and I....the food and flowers by my aunt..(Although she is a pro, lol)....she had never done a wedding cake before, and I was set on fondant- so when I had to settle for buttercream I might have been disappointed....but, uh, everything else? Perfect. (Besides my corset being two sizes to small, but that's a different story that has to do with a surgery 3 weeks before and being pumped full of steriods and birth control making me balloon up!) Even the things that weren't perfect ended up being perfect to me, because you know what, it was MY wedding...icon_smile.gif

And you know what? This is the first time I've looked at my wedding cake since I got into doing cake....I can defiantly see it's flaws....but up until now, I thought it was perfect! lol!
LL

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #48 of 54

My wedding, one of the best days in my life, I had ordered my cake for 135 people from this sweet little old lady who was a retired decorator. This was 12 years ago. She was I think 91 years old! The pictures of her cakes were nice, nothing super fancy or anything, but straight and nice. She was so lovely, and had pictures of cakes, and dummy cakes all over her house. She walked me through the whole process.

I found her through a friend, and she was only charging $1 a slice, delivered and set up by her son. Even 12 years ago that was an amazing deal. She delivered a lovely 3 tiered white cake with raspberry filling, ivory buttercream with burgandy icing flowers and some burgandy roses from our florist. Ok, actually the ivory buttercream looked light pink because I think she got some of the burgandy color mixed in, and the piping was a little shaky - did I mention she was 91. It didn't matter to me I loved it, it was my cake!

She was so sweet and called me the next week after the honeymoon to see if I liked the cake. I told her it was absolutely beautiful and tasted even better. Most of my wedding stuff, the caterer, cake, hall, church, were referals from friends, family, and friends of friends, etc. Even the minister was my husbands uncle. It made for a great day and lots of nice memories. I feel sorry for these brides that think the only way to have a wonderful wedding is for everything to be perfect. God knows marriage isn't perfect, why should we expect to wedding to be.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

WATCH IT!!!!!

i resemble that remark! (the goofy part!)

When we were dating, hubby bought me a stuffed Goofy and said, "So you'll think of me when I'm not here!" I still have it!

that is so sweet. my hubby bought me a dog and left it on the front seat of my car while i was at work, and left a note that said the same thing. He's now on top of my dresser. icon_smile.gif

I don't think a cake should ruin a wedding, I honestly don't even remember mine.

chassidyg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #50 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

WATCH IT!!!!!

When we were dating, hubby bought me a stuffed Goofy and said, "So you'll think of me when I'm not here!" I still have it!

that is so sweet. my hubby bought me a dog and left it on the front seat of my car while i was at work, and left a note that said the same thing. He's now on top of my dresser. icon_smile.gif

I don't think a cake should ruin a wedding, I honestly don't even remember mine.

chassidyg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #51 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

WATCH IT!!!!!

chassidyg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #52 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

WATCH IT!!!!!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:19am
post #53 of 54
Quote:

I think the people that say something like that 'ruined their wedding' have no idea what actual suffering is like. Like has been mentioned, it's that self-absorbed, "charmed life" mentality.

3 days before my wedding I was sitting on my couch working on *something*, talking to my mom on the phone as she was working on my wedding cake (I didn't do cakes back then) and had to tell her to hold on a second so I could turn up the volume on the TV and see what the weird news flash was all about. It looked like a building on fire or something. I turned it up and watched in 'real time' as the second plane hit the second of the twin towers. Talk about ruining a wedding! Guests couldn't come because of all the planes being grounded. The minister had to DRIVE 15 hours just to get here to marry us. We lost our reception site because it was a military institution, had to have a half @ssed, last minute reception in the church basement. But you know what??? That was the most beautiful wedding I've ever been to! It wasn't ruined... because the people I loved had not been killed. Even the ones that couldn't be there with us... at least they were alive. And amidst this horror that had hit us, we were proof that life goes on, and that good *normal* things were still happening. It was an affirmation of life. I'm telling you, if that can't ruin a wedding, a crappy cake can't do it either!! icon_biggrin.gif

. . . Happy Anniversary (almost) . . . and great job putting things into perspective . . . to bad there are not more peeps like you . . . soooo many self absorbed drama queens who just don't "get it" . . . I shudder to think what it would be like if these people ever have to deal with real life emergencies . . . . hhmmmm . . . scary thought . . .

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #54 of 54

When I see the brides and grooms getting all worked up over things and spending a small fortune for one day, I always think of what our priest says... "Don't put so much effort into the wedding that there's none left for the marriage!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%