Best Coloring Gel/paste????

Decorating By jennym0904 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm by jennym0904

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 10

I've always used wilton (I am still a newbie at the decorating) but I was wondering what other brands are out there and what are the best one(s)?

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 10

Americolor has the most consistant color gels. good strong colors with no bad taste.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 10

I have to disagree with americolor and vote for chefmaster. No bad taste, use very little and doesn't have to sit to intensify. You can get red & black instantly without out adding any other colors or starting with choocolate for black.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I have to disagree with and vote for chefmaster. No bad taste, use very little and doesn't have to sit to intensify. You can get red & black instantly without out adding any other colors or starting with choocolate for black.

ohh, they should hire you for advertising b/c I think I'm sold! The first tiem I used Americolor my brown was more copper. Doesn't leave a very good impression with me. icon_confused.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 10

tiggy2, where do you buy Chefmaster? I use Americolor myself but would love to compare the two at the best price. Thanks

annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #6 of 10

Hello everyone! icon_smile.gif
I am making an Elmo cake this weekend and want to know what is the trick to getting a good red and not a dark pink. I think I used americolor. I would have to check it out. I did Bob the Tomatoe (Veggie Tales) 2 years ago and if I remember right, the color got darker as time went by. Help!!! icon_sad.gif Thanks!!! Bethany icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 10

I buy it locally from Dixie's whipped icing but here are a couple of links you can check out http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=56 http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=511 I know Oasis carries it too but I haven't had good luck ordering from them.
If you look at the red on my hamburger cake you will see vibrant it is. It didn't sit for more then 5 minutes before I used it and I used very littler.

annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #8 of 10

Thank you Tiggy2! I love your hamburger cake! I went to the cake shop today and she said to start out with pink frosting first then add the red. She also said to let it sit for awhile to give it a chance to oxidize. I will give it a try! Elmo is not that difficult to make. Well, I'm off to go bake Elmo! Thanks again! Bethany icon_biggrin.gif

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:12am
post #9 of 10

I'm new to this and have only used Wilton. Do any big stores sell Americolor or it is only available online or in cake supply stores?

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 10

thanks everyone for your suggestions- i think i will try a few from the two suggested and see what happens!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%