Just Startring Out...what Do I Need?

Decorating By Jewelsx19 Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm by shanasweets

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

I have been thinking about trying cake decorating for a while, and with three kids...and constant birthdays, I decided I want to start making my own.

So where do I start? I am planning on taking a course, or at least getting the wilton course books and doing it at home. But what do I need for supplies to start? what items are maybe not a MUST have, but you couldn't live without?

And where do I find basic how to's?

5 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 6

First, welcome!

Second, check out your local Hobby Lobby, Joann's or Micheal's they usually offer Wilton Cake Decorating Classes. They are a great starting point.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

Wilton's Course I - you can pretty much always find a class opening at Michael's, AC Moore, or Hobby Lobby. Course I gives you all the basics to get a smooth cake, basic borders, and the Wilton Rose. I took my first course 5 years ago, and couldn't let it go; I started my custom cake business a year ago icon_smile.gif.

lbass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbass Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 6

I wanted to say Welcome to CC, you will love love love it here!!!

Okay, to answer your question:

Viva paper towels
Disposable icing bags
Wilton Class I atleast
After you take the class, check out sugarshack's 1st video.
Definately CakeCentral!!!

Just have fun and don't be hard on yourself. Practice, practice, practice!!

Good Luck!

Oh, I forgot- I could not live without my KA mixer. It's my baby!!!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 6

This might sound odd but VIVA paper towels (no print), an offset spatula (both large and small), and (with a coupon!! from Michael's) buy the tool box full of coloring, tips, etc. I didn't have one but my friend did and although expensive up front it would have saved me a lot of $$ from buying everything separately. With a coupon (especially their 50% off ones), it's not bad at all! And a fondant smoother (but to run over your VIVA paper towel to smooth out your icing). And a nice large box of disposable decorating bags.

Have fun! thumbs_up.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 6

If you can take the courses, you won't regret. Also they sell the sets to go with each course and there are alot of tips and extras that go in it. I spent alot of money, and I haven't used alot of what I bought. So hold back and don't go overboard. Instead of buying everything wilton has (my husband is convienced I do, although I am sure there is something there I did not buy) Buy videos, I have sugarshacks and plan to get Michelles soon. But have checked out some older videos from library that have been helpful. And books, can never have enough, then work on getting stuff to do specific techniques you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%