Going Rates On Cakes And Cookies In The Oh/in/ky Area?

Business By delicious_designs7 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm by delicious_designs7

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 9

I was just wondering what other decorators in the area are charging for cakes and cookies in the Tri-state area??? I want to make sure I am charging what I deserve. icon_smile.gif LOL

8 replies
Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:57am
post #2 of 9

I just recently took an increase...from $1.50 to $2.00 per serving. After calling around, I found out that there is a wide range of prices...Do you belong to any cake clubs? I'dlike to find one in the Columbus area. Debbie

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:59am
post #3 of 9

I should have asked what part of Ohio you are in? Debbie

tamivo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamivo Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:33am
post #4 of 9

Hi! I am in Kentucky and I am charging $2 serving for the most part.... Just recently went to that on the one year anniversary of my cake making... Pretty much did them at 1.00 to 1.50 for the past year just to get the experience but now I am overwhelmed with business and trying to run some of them away lol Unfortunately I have learned this lesson the HARD WAY!

So far it's not working... Not sure how high they will let me go before they go away icon_razz.gif I probably will raise pricing again in the near future if the volume doesnt let up... I am also curious about pricing in this area.. Obviously I am still too cheap because I cannot keep up with the messages.

I did have someone balk at 2.50 per serving for a 200 serving wedding cake today... She said that she didn't want to spend that much and after I told her that I understood and that was fine, then she started backing up and said that she was still interested... I believe that she thought that I would lower the price to get the booking.... NOT icon_wink.gif Out of curiosity I called the local walmart and asked them what a 200 serving wedding cake would cost.... she said $215 - 5 tiers - all white - no choices PERIOD. So at least that much is good to know... Now I know what to tell prospectives if they don't like my pricing. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 9

My prices are publicly posted on my website(s), links below. Research in my area shows that my cake prices are pretty much in the middle... I'm not the cheapest or the most expensive.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 9

A lot of my cookies are in the $2-3 range each. I only do fondant cakes right now and they are $3/serving.

tamivo- I don't know how you were doing cakes at $1-1.50 and weren't losing money?!?! Glad to see you raised your prices, but.....went to your website and you could definitely raise your prices again! Beautiful cakes!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 9

I think it depends on where most of your clients are. In the Cincy area, it's usually between $2.50 - $3.00/slice. I know a couple of the big bakeries charge more then that. One I (last I heard) is closer to $4.00 - $5.00/serving.

I think in Northern KY, it's closer to $2.00/serving. And I have no idea what bakers are charging in IN.

Call around and find out is the best advice.

tamivo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamivo Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 9

Indydebi, Thanks! I have definately lost LOTS of money at 1.00 - 1.50 but I just considered it my schooling lol.... The experience was priceless! I learned so many things and gained more confidence in myself. I still have a long way to go but I am finally at the point where I need to start making something if I am going to continue icon_rolleyes.gif

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 9

I live in Harrison and work part-time at a hospital in Cincinnati. Harrison is as far west as you can go before entering Indiana. I am only about 20 minutes from KY also. So, that is kind of why I asked what people are charging in the Tri-state area. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%