Hospitals For High-Risk Pregnancies - Premie Baby Blankets

Lounge By TC123 Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm by MichelleM77

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #1 of 22

Hi Everyone! ~ When I am not working or cakin', one can usually find me with a crochet hook and some yarn... The "short" (but sad) story behind this topic is...

Two years ago, my sister went into premature labor (around 20-21 weeks), and despite all of the efforts, they were not able to save Baby Jillian Grace. So to work through the sadness and feel useful, I started crocheting little blankets for premature babies. These babies are often sooooo very small and, well, unexpected, that I thought it would be nice for them to at least have their own little blanket. I have been sending/bringing them to the hospital that took care of my sister. (Each blanket takes me about 4.5 hours, so I can only do about 60 a year. That's about 5-6 shipments a year.) One of the charge nurses once told me that upon receiving one of my shipments, that 8 of them were being given out that very day. I wish that wasn't so.

Anyway I would like to start sending some to other hospitals, too, and thought that ones that specialize in high-risk pregnancies would be a good place to start. (I know there's one in or near New Orleans, and I already have 6 blankets ready to go, but I don't know the name. Does anyone know?)

So, if you know of such a hospital, or one that you think would benefit from having small blankies on hand, would you please kindly provide the name and address? (Or even the name, city and state... I'll be happy to look up the rest.)

I wanted to start with you guys/gals at CC first, because there are so many wonderful people here.

Thank you so much, and God bless!
~ Tracey

21 replies
tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #2 of 22

I don't know about New Orleans. In Atlanta, Northside is probably does the most high-risk/preemie stuff. It's the most sought-after in the area, generally. What a wonderful thing you are doing-- what a productive way to handle grief.

TC123 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #3 of 22

Thank you, tchrmom! I will look up the address!

I believe (or hope!) it helps the families somewhat, too. Just a little something so they know they and their little one (or little oneS) are thought about, cared for and prayed for, in the midst of a frightening precarious experience.

Thank you again!

[edited to add: little ONES, in the case of twins, etc... I should have caught that, as twins run in the family!]

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 22

It's also possible that the babies are transferred to Childrens' Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite (or CHOA at Egleston). I'm not sure, but I bet Northside would know. They won't be hard to find online.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #5 of 22

This is such a sweet thing you are doing!

When my now 7th grader was in the third grade she got a terrible virus that landed her in the hospital for a whole week during Christmas break.

One of the nurses brought her a quilt with Curious George on it and gave it to her. A group of women from makes the for the entire children's unit and every child receives one!

She thought that was the best blanket ever, and still has it today!

I'm sure you are touching lives one blanket at a time. I wish I could help you, but I am not familar with any high-risk hospitals in my area.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 22

In San Antonio, the hospital with the best NICU is University Hospital.
My oldest daughter was a preemie there. She was born at 36 weeks (but I didn't have an ultrasound until I was 7 months and my periods had been really irregular so I think she was actually earlier than that)...I had preeclampsia and they did an ultrasound and said she was 9.5 lbs, so they induced me. Three days later, she was born by c-section and couldn't breathe on her own. She weighed 6lbs 4 oz but lost a pound in her first day from fluid in her lungs. As small as she was, she was one of the largest babies in the NICU. They kept her two weeks and during that time the nurses taught us how to take care of her, and made sure we learned how to do infant CPR, and didn't let us take her home until they made sure she could breathe in the carseat.

They had a group who donated crocheted blankets for the preemies there...at least they did six years ago when we were there. Mostly what they used them for was to drape over the incubators, because the really young preemies were very sensitive to light.

PrincessMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrincessMommy Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:19am
post #7 of 22

On behalf of Preemie Mom's everywhere, THANK YOU! My daughter was born 6 weeks early weighing only 3lbs. She spent her first couple of weeks in the NICU and like Texas_Rose said our blanket was used to cover the incubator. We have it tucked away with our small diapers, her little crocheted hat and other NICU trinkets that are special to us.

I think what you are doing is wonderful! Another idea is to contact your local March of Dimes office and they could distribute them to the hospitals or tell you which ones may need them the most.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarra

Anyway I would like to start sending some to other hospitals, too, and thought that ones that specialize in high-risk pregnancies would be a good place to start. (I know there's one in or near New Orleans, and I already have 6 blankets ready to go, but I don't know the name. Does anyone know?)

~ Tracey

Childrenâs Hospital
200 Henry Clay Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70118
http://www.chnola.org/content/AboutUs.htm

Tracey, you are an inspiration. How big do you make the blankets? I donât knit, but I do cross stitch. Maybe Iâll stitch some up and send them to the hospital.

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 22

It's very thoughtful for what you are doing!

My daughter was 4 weeks early due to my preeclapsia. She ended up in Childrens NICU for 4 days and while we were there She had a handmade blanket under her in the incubator. Also they had some how got rid of her blanket that I carried her into the er with and the nurses replaced it with a crocheted quilt for her to take home.. I still have both in a keepsake box for her...

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 22

Have you heard of Project Linus? My Mom is very involved in our local chapter. They make and distribute blankets to sick children. Maybe if you got in touch with your local chapter you could get some help with your efforts...
http://www.projectlinus.org/

nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 22

I agree with PrincessMommy. My second, and last, daughter had to be delivered at 28 weeks weighing only 2.5 pounds. It was a horrible ordeal and most mothers are unprepared for the birth so they do not have blankets or clothes or anything bought yet. I know I for one was not expecting her to be born so soon! Then after the emergency c-section, I could barely think or get out of bed for a week so it's not like I could go and buy any blankets or clothes for her.

What you are doing is truly an amazing thing. I hope your life is full of blessings...just as you are being a blessing to those tiny infants and their families.

Oh, I had her at UTMB in Galveston, TX

TC123 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 22

Good Morning, and a sincere heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone, for your suggestions and for sharing your touching stories. You guys are so nice, too, to give me any recognition in all this. It's you all and your children that are the heros! And I feel so blessed to have come in contact with you. I really do.

moreCakePlz, Thank you for the New Orleans address I was hoping to find. The blankets I make range from approximately 13" square (using Patons Beehive Baby Sport yarn) to 19" square (using Bernat Softee Baby Sport yarn). But you can make them a different size if you think they need to be bigger/smaller. ... I just try to find the softest yarn I can get, and usually one skien is enough for one blanket.

Thank you all again for helping me!!! icon_smile.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 22

I have a very dear friend who went into preterm labor at 21 weeks, made it to nearly 23 weeks, and delivered.... it was so incredibly sad, I know she really would have been touched if she had received such a blanket.. what you are doing is amazing! I hope someday to learn how to do that, my MIL has made blankets for both of my children and I would love for her to teach me (but being that she is 6 hours away she usually is PLAYING with her grandkids when we are around not crocheting).

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

I hope someday to learn how to do that, my MIL has made blankets for both of my children and I would love for her to teach me (but being that she is 6 hours away she usually is PLAYING with her grandkids when we are around not crocheting).

It's pretty easy to crochet. To make baby blankets, all you need to do is find someone to teach you to make granny squares, and then you can keep going with the rows until it's a blanket size. Unlike knitting (which I haven't been able to learn how to do) you don't have to count higher than three so if you have to put it down for a while and pick it up later, you don't have to try to remember what you were doing when you stopped. My sister actually taught me...she learned in 7th grade because the nuns had a project where the kids made squares and then the nuns sewed them together into blankets for the homeless. She taught me when I was pregnant with my first daughter, because my hands had swelled so much I couldn't do my usual handsewing on doll clothes, and I needed something to keep my hands busy.

PrincessMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrincessMommy Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #15 of 22

Not only did our NICU have crocheted hats & blankets, they had mini quilts that people had sewn. In case some one is inspired by TCarra and wants to make blankets but doesn't crochet. (I can't do either, so we volunteer with the March of Dimes. thumbs_up.gif )

Rocketstarmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketstarmom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #16 of 22

Hi Tracey,

What a wonderful thing you are doing to help others through such stressful times. Thank you!

I was referred to your post by my daughter who herself was a preemie (5 weeks early) 26 years ago. She now makes the best cakes ever icon_smile.gif and is on line with Cake Central on a daily basis. I am often referred here by her to check out the amazing cakes everyone makes. Talk about talent.....they are amazing!

I wanted to tell you about an organization I belong to called Project Linus. We are a volunteer organization which accepts new, handmade blankets from anyone who wants to make and donate them. They can be knitted, crocheted, quilted, fleece, flannel...just about any material that is new, soft and child friendly. We distribute to children from age 0 to 18 years. Children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer âblanketeers.â You can check out the national website at www.projectlinus.org for more details.

There are 406 chapters around the country so maybe there is one near you. Actually, in Louisiana there is a chapter in Covington/St. Tammany. I don't know how close that is but it is a starting place. There is a link on the site to find chapters around the country.

I began to volunteer for Project Linus as a way of paying back, and paying forward. It has been so satisfying and the people that have come into my life are amazing. The letters we get from the Mom and Dad's of these children will melt your heart. They not only appreciate what has been done for their child, but for them as well - through their child.

Anyway, if you have extra blankets this website might be one you would like to check out.

Good luck and thanks for thinking of others......

Karen

TC123 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #17 of 22

Another thank you for all of the kind words, ideas and support. I really do appreciate all of the leads. And thank you, PrincessMommy, for suggesting ways for others with different talents to get involved. I hope that people interested are able to find this forum topic.

Karen, What a coincidence ~ I was a 5 week premature baby, too! Except I'm a weeeeee bit older than your daugher! I did check out Project Linus and found two chapters within an hour of me, so I will be contacting them. It says they teach during their meetings, so if I don't have any blankets, maybe I can broaden my experiences and try out teaching. And you are so right about the talent here. I am in awe at seeing all of the cakes I could only DREAM of making, and there they are! And the willingness of the CC members to help and encourage each other is awesome!

mkerton, I am truly sorry to hear about your close friend. My heart literally hurts when I think about it, having had my sister and her husband go through it. In my sister's case, just to share a little more with you, both of her in-laws had recently passed away. So she said she thinks that her mother- and father-in-law are taking care of Jillian, that they needed a grandchild up in Heaven. About crocheting, I have a pdf file of crochet stitches that I'd be happy to send you. It's pretty easy to follow, especially if you do it with a hook and some yarn. And Michael's, AC Moore, Wal-Mart, eBay, etc. all have beginner books/booklets with relatively easy projects. ... That is, if you don't have someone to teach you...

Well, thank you again, everyone! I wish you all a good night!

Rocketstarmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketstarmom Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 22

Your are most welcome Tracey. I am glad to hear you found the site useful.

Good luck in the future with all of your donations. I am sure they are well appreciated - everywhere they are received.

Karen

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 22

Tracey,
That's such an awesome thing you are doing! God Bless!

Also...my sister lost her baby in her 7th month of pregnancy (from a genetic blood disorder that caused an infection in the womb & cord). While she was in recovery, there was a wing in the hospital where high risk - bed ridden mothers to be were. They had volunteers to come in to teach them to crochet/knit for their expected little ones. Maybe you could offer your services to your local hospital in that way....plus, you'll be able to pass on your craft to other mothers who might join you in the future in making more blankets for little ones! thumbs_up.gif

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #20 of 22

Tracey,
Way off the subject but....
I love your quote about the APBT....I have 2 myself. I ADORE them!

TC123 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:51am
post #21 of 22

Hi pieface ~ I'm really sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she's doing okay now. They did all sorts of tests on my sister and Jillian to see if they could figure out medically why this happened, but no one seems to be able to figure it out. And thank you for your suggestion. I never knew there was anything like that being done, and I think it's a great idea!

Thank you, too, for your side note about PBs. My mom adopted Bear from a shelter 8 years ago (not from Animal Farm Foundation), and he is wonderful. I love him to pieces and can't imagine my world without that pup! Knowing they are good dogs, I wanted to find a way to show others, so I came across AFF. I like the work that they do, and I contacted them to volunteer. So I post fliers and get the word out that they are great dogs. They gave me permission to use one of their quotes (which is in my signature). icon_wink.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you for reminding me about Project Linus! They take knit, crocheted, and quilted blankets along with fleece-tied, so there is something any skill level can do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%