Stacking Crusted Buttercream Layers Question!!

Decorating By cdent Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 5:02pm by sugarshack

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

I am new to working with buttercream (I try to stick with fondant) and I have a buttercream wedding cake due this weekend. I am curoious...do you stack the cake layers and then frost them or do you first frost the layers and then stack? I am wondering how you don't get finger prints & jabs in the frosting when you stack them...
Thanks for your answers in advance!!!

9 replies
showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 10

You definitely frost first and then stack. You can stick each layer in the freezer for 10-12 minutes before you stack it. It will harden the bc to allow for stacking without putting fingerprints in it, but it doesn't freeze the cake. Sugarshack's DVD on Successful stacking is a tremendous DVD to check out when you have time.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 10

Ditto "showersfamily4". Also, when you are positioning the layer over the one you are going to place it on, hold it just barely above then drop it by pulling your fingers out from under it in a smooth, quick motion. Sounds scary but it works really well. If the icing is really hard, from cooling, you can even give it a nudge with your angled spatula if necessary.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 10

Don't push in your dowels. Leave them half sticking out. Then you can center and let the weight of the cake push the dowels in. This gives you room to remove your fingers easy!!!

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 10

I was just asking myself this question last night. Glad someone asked icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 10

I do BC only .... when placing the top tier on the lower tier, use your spatula to guide it in place. The spatula will easily slide out and requires less space than a finger. thumbs_up.gif

PennySue Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicegop

Don't push in your dowels. Leave them half sticking out. Then you can center and let the weight of the cake push the dowels in. This gives you room to remove your fingers easy!!!

Does this work all the time? Does the weight push them down all the way flush so you don't have a gap to pipe over? It sounds like a good thing. Also, what do you use for dowels? Straws, candy sticks, wood, etc.? My DH has tried to convince me to use straws but I haven't as yet.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:52am
post #8 of 10

BUBBLE tea straws and yes it works, you might have to push the tier down a little with a skewer or something.

PennySue Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 10

I've seen the Bubble straws online. Is that the best place to find them?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 10

i just google it and pick a place; they are all the same

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%