How's This For A Craigslist...anyone Want To Take A Stab?

Business By missmeg Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm by gottabakenow

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 22

http://nh.craigslist.org/wan/726362435.html

Quote:
Quote:

I'm looking to spend no more then $200 on this cake, I'm on a budget, the cake is to be scaled down if at all possible seeing its just the grooms cake.

There's pictures. Very, VERY detailed all-fondant 3-tiered cake with Mario Bros on it...all for $200.

21 replies
AllCakedOut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllCakedOut Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 22

I know of the company who made that cake, and they charge a minimum of something like $12/serving.

LOL!!!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 22

Well, she did say that she's willing to scale it down...for $200 she'd probably get just the mushroom house icon_lol.gif.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 22

LOL not only scale down the size but I'd have to use a TON of plastic pieces for that price.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 22

Well it would be a good deal if you needed a photographer!!! I think she just wants a smaller version for her soon to be..I suppose it can be done like a 10..8...or 6 inch or smaller.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 22

If the top two are dummies, and you can hand paint them. Maybe

Mike

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 22

She says something similar - that it doesn't have to be exact - for I'm sure somewhere could do a scaled down version for $200.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 22

Yeah.. I was thinking the same thing.. something smaller with not every detail could be done for that much. I just LOVE that cake.. I love to play anything Mario.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 22

that cake gives me a great idea for my son's bday!! we still have our supermario nintendo system lolicon_smile.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 22

Good luck to her! She's got less than a month to find a sucker....I mean baker, to make that cake.

It is a cool cake.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 22

Funny-she wants someone really really good and will barter for her photography services. I wonder how good her services are? LOL.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 22

I just don't see why the baker would have to be a sucker to want to offer a similar design scaled to her budget. Now to make that exact cake.. yeah.. BIG sucker. But to make a scaled back version like she is requesting.. hey.. it's $200. Maybe I'll send her a reply. icon_lol.gif The top tiers would be about 30 servings done as an 8" with a 4" mushroom base and a 5" top.. that's almost $7/serving. Not too bad when you look at it like that.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 22

I saw this one too. I agree, it could be done for that price; scaled back a bit and still look really cool. It might be nice for them to take that home afterwards for themselves. Then it doesn't matter that it's not a big cake.

Hey, jkalman, I think you should go for it! thumbs_up.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #14 of 22

I don't need a photographer, but I'd trade HOUSECLEANING for it! Heck yah! I'll work on the cake for as long as it takes you to clean my house (including kitchen). Seems like a bargain to me!

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 22

I would do a great version of this cake for her for $200 AND take advantage of her photography offer.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 22

I'd give her kudos anyway...many many people would offer 50 dollars for the cake...atleast she is being somewhat realistic. Most people on here...atleast...have an exclusivity clause....maybe would have to do the wedding cake as well. THat might make it well worth it.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #17 of 22

I don't think there is anything wrong with bartering. I would totally do a scaled down version for $200.00. Actually, I had a call from a lady about a month ago looking for a tiered birthday cake for her daughter. I wouldn't have got the sale at all because she didn't want to spend as much as I was asking. However, when I realized she owned a hair salon & I had needed my hair done for a while at that point.......we worked out a deal where she gave me $100.00 for the cake & then did my hair for free (and I have a LOT of hair, usually it costs me about $150.00 when I go in!). She did a GREAT job & I have now found a new favorite person to do my hair when I need it!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I'd give her kudos anyway...many many people would offer 50 dollars for the cake...atleast she is being somewhat realistic. Most people on here...atleast...have an exclusivity clause....maybe would have to do the wedding cake as well. THat might make it well worth it.

Yep, I have to agree with that. I have a clause in my contract too that says no other cakes may be brought in unless they are from my shop.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #19 of 22

how do you control that clause??? how are you to know for sure that they don't have a cake from someone else...and if they do??? what do you do then??? take the cake back??? what if someone else brings a cake as a surprise??? or what if they have an aunt etc that bakes and brings one??? i am not trying to be silly or a smart ass...i really want to know??? cause i dont get that clause???

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #20 of 22

I'd do it for $200 and once a week help with someone playing with the kids in my home while I clean.

Just one day a week with someone coming in to watch the kids during hte day would make a huge difference in my life.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #21 of 22

Someone posted on the local freecycle group asking for someone to GIVE them a wedding gown, veil and cake... so they could save their money for a honeymoon trip to Bar Harbor, Maine. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

Someone posted on the local freecycle group asking for someone to GIVE them a wedding gown, veil and cake... so they could save their money for a honeymoon trip to Bar Harbor, Maine. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SURE... I have a wedding cake that I was just about to put out with the trash- come and get it! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%