Pastry Bags: Disposable Or The Real Thing?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 11:04am by CamilleBianca

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicegop

DISPOSABLE and here is why: If you use the plastic wrap technique (I am never going back to filling bags! You just take a piece of plastic wrap about a foot... and thunk frosting on it and roll it up. you don't have to be very careful. Then just throw into your decorator bag) then you don't make a mess at all! AND I use ONE bag for my entire cake! I have a coupler so I can change tips. If I want to change colors, I just pull out the plastic wrap and put in another color... squeeze out what was in the first tip and good to go (or I replace the tip). When I go to set up a cake I bring one or a couple of "tubes" of wrapped of frosting... sooooo much easier to work on site. THen I can just throw away the bag (or you can even reuse them). Put the tips and couplers into a bowl with soapy water in the microwave.... clean! I just rinse. Life is soooo easy for me! Oh, and you can buy BIG disposable bags. I use 20 inch bags and cut them down to the size I want them. I sell them on my site.

i tried this too. i couldn't get it to work. i know it's so simple, i read the instructions but sometimes i just don't get stuff LOL

sorry about the parchment guys icon_smile.gif it's nice to know people are old school and are thinking of the environment.

to those who use the real bags, do you have one bag for different sized tips? cause i have a really big tip and then kinda medium sized ones. the one i got from GSA i already ruined by cutting it too big for the coupler. icon_sad.gif argh. my stupidity frustrates me.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #32 of 72

I'm wondering why the OP thinks that disposables are less "real".

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #33 of 72

I'll do both - depending on the job. But for the most part, it's disponsible.

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #34 of 72

I don't use the plastic ones at all, just never liked them. I use real decorating bags with my icer tip and for some jobs where I'm using alot of 1 color. But I mostly use parchment and just like it.

To clean my bags I just run really hot water through it and turn inside out and scrub w/ Dawn dishsoap and brush - works great!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #35 of 72

disposables. I have no idea where any of my regular bags are anymore. Every decision I make is based on bottom line impact. It's cheaper for me to use 7 or 8 disposables bags then tosh 'em, than it is for me to buy a big supply of regular bags and pay an employee to wash them. Plus with the clear plastic bags, I feel more organized with "where's that color I needed?"

I use them a lot for my cakes and cookies that have drizzled melted chocolate on them. Way faster to just fill a disposable bag, snip the end and drizzle the chocolate ... then pitch it ... than it is to screw around with real bags or squeeze bottles (god save me if I ever have to deal with a freakin' PITA squeeze bottle ever again! icon_mad.gif )

I use the Bakery Craft brand .. box of 100 for around 20 bucks. It will last me 4-6 weeks, depending on the schedule.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:15pm
post #36 of 72

I used to use disposable bags but was going through several boxes a year...What I have spent on disposables compared to reusable is no contest.I save a ton using my wilton bags!! I like disposables so I don't have as much clean up but they are expensive!!!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:27pm
post #37 of 72

I only use parchment...learned that way and haven't changed in 33 years - I make them in 3 different sizes depending on what I'm doing. You can teach some old dogs new tricks but not this old dog...

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I used to use disposable bags but was going through several boxes a year...

Yep, that's that bottom line impact thing! thumbs_up.gif I'll keep an eye on my usage and if it gets to be a high volume item, then it gets re-evaluated.

jennagaydosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennagaydosh Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:08am
post #39 of 72

I have been toying with the idea of trying disposable but my question to everyone is, what about my tips that are too large to fit into that coupler thing? Do I just have to ditch them and buy new smaller tips? I actaully need a couple new bags, and I can only find disposable that require a coupler, and reusable that also require a coupler. Is that the "new thing?"

indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #40 of 72

Jenna, what tips are you talking about? If you mean the big tips (1A, etc), they make couplers to fit those. But you dont "have" to use a coupler with tips ... you can push the tip into the end of the bag ... very snugly ...

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

I'm wondering why the OP thinks that disposables are less "real".

to be honest i just didn't know the term for the non disposable ones. featherweight, light weight, canvass, etc. you know what i mean. icon_smile.gif

jennagaydosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennagaydosh Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:38am
post #42 of 72

Thanks indydebi! Until now I have always pushed all of my tips to be "snugly" in the bags- I thought that's how everyone did it! icon_redface.gif The canvas seems to lend it's self to that easily. I'll give the coupler a try on my smaller tips, it sounds too good to be true to change the tip without emptying the bag and sticking your hand through the slimey residue!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:09am
post #43 of 72

I am really very anti-disposable everything, but just with piping bags I only use disposables. It's gross otherwise, I think.

The disposables I use are about 16". I sometimes have to cut them down to be more manageable, but it works fine. För really small jobs I like parchment.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:18am
post #44 of 72

Just a home baker here, but disposables were life changing for me!

They are so much quicker and seem so much more sanitary.

Plus, we were in a horrible drought here, and it bugged me to be using so much water trying to clean those things when every drop counts.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #45 of 72

I rarely use disposable bags. I'm too cheap. I love my Ateco bags, and they are less than $2 at my cake supply store. I run hot water thru them to rinse, then turn them inside out, soak them in soapy water (only Dawn dishsoap), then wash after a few minutes. They really aren't hard to clean if you rinse all the icing out first with hot water! Plus, I don't have to add the cost of the disposable bags to my cake costs!

jen1977 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #46 of 72

Oh, I do use disposable for chocolate, but regular resusable bags for my cakes!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:58pm
post #47 of 72

I buy the really big rolls of disposable bags (they come in rolls of 100) and only use them. I find it easier to clean up, more sanitary and actually easier to use.

For royal icing, I use parchment paper. I usually only use royal icing for small jobs and like the smallness of the parchment paper "tube" in my hand. I also think it keeps the temp of the royal icing better.

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #48 of 72

I use the parchment triangles and make my own for everything. The only exception is the 16 in reusable bag I have that I use with the icer tip to ice my cakes.

Tried the plastic disposable once and just did not like them.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #49 of 72

I mainly use the Wilton bags--I love them. I will also use disposables if I am doing something with a lot of color on it. My problem with the disposables is, being very new to this, I must squeeze so hard that the bags split on me. With my Wilton bags, I rinse them in hot water and throw them in the top rack of my dishwasher. Sometimes after that, it may require a little more cleaning but not always. I have all different sizes of the bags.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm
post #50 of 72

I wash them on the top rack of my dishwasher too. I rinse them, turn them inside out, and throw them right in. Never had a problem with them coming out clean!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #51 of 72

i had completely forgot about parchment (no offence lol) they're great for small bits of icing though i haven't used them in a long time. i do use both-pastry bags for bigger, thicker icing and disposable for other jobs-i find that really dark colours especially black, purple and red stain my bags so i use disposable for those

mo_like_it Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_like_it Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #52 of 72

I use both. I keep telling myself I need to practice more with the parchment for small jobs, but I keep procrastinating! I can't believe I am about to admit this...keep in mind, I grew up in a household where my Mom washed and re-used Ziploc baggies! I just can't stand throwing away a plastic disposable bag after only one use, so I wash and re-use! I'm not a super-green kinda gal (even though I feel more and more guilt everytime I toss something that could be recycled). Guess I'm turning into my mother, wasting nothing!

oboemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oboemommy Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushbug9

Then I went to work at a bakery for a few months and really got to like the kee-seal brand disposable. Its all I use now. I love them and I have them in 12" 18" and 20". The company has a free sample and when you get it, you get a coupon off your first order.

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of this brand before. I'm going to try them out.

I use all Wilton disposable right now. I'm thinking of getting a reusable for my icing tip (the large disposable bags are hard to grip without the whole bag sliding out of my hand).

indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Plus, I don't have to add the cost of the disposable bags to my cake costs!

It's a nickel a bag. icon_lol.gif

jen1977 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I don't know where you buy yours, but mine are more than .05 each! I think Wilton bags are expensive for disposable. My Ateco bags that are reusable are $1.40 a piece, but I've had them for years without having to replace them! Plus, my couplers always get stuck in disposables, and I ended up having to dig them out with a sharp knife. I'm clumsy, so.... icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #56 of 72

Oh geesh, I did the math backwards! icon_redface.gif A box of 100 for $19.99 = about 20 cents each, not 5 cents each! icon_redface.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #57 of 72
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I don't know where you buy yours, but mine are more than .05 each! I think Wilton bags are expensive for disposable. My Ateco bags that are reusable are $1.40 a piece, but I've had them for years without having to replace them! Plus, my couplers always get stuck in disposables, and I ended up having to dig them out with a sharp knife. I'm clumsy, so.... icon_lol.gif

I always cut off the excess bag with scissors so I'm right at the tip and it's so easy to flip the coupler out then.

JennaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaK Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #58 of 72

Plastic all the way. I think cleaning anything that has had buttercream in it, is a nightmare. So throwing the bags away is awesome to me.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #59 of 72

I love my disposable bags...I love that i can just throw them away...what i do is whenever there is a 50% coupon for michaels or joann's, i go buy the 100 count pack, so instead of 19.99 i only pay 9.99 and even if i do not need them i get them and stash them...i know i am so cheap!!LOL

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #60 of 72

I really like the disposable bags but primarily use the wilton bags..reason?...that's all they have around here. The bulk food store sells disposable bags but charge I believe..1.00 a piece! I don't want to use them that bad so i stick with the wilton. I absolutely hate cleanup because of washing out the piping bags. I really should look online and get me some cheap bags.

ETA..change price of bags. I checked my pricing list and made an error.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%