Pastry Bags: Disposable Or The Real Thing?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 11:04am by CamilleBianca

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYI95

I love my disposable bags...I love that i can just throw them away...what i do is whenever there is a 50% coupon for michaels or joann's, i go buy the 100 count pack, so instead of 19.99 i only pay 9.99 and even if i do not need them i get them and stash them...i know i am so cheap!!LOL

These prices are surprising me.

I bought 100 Wilton bags from Walmart and they were a fraction of that.

??

Is that unusual?

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:39pm
post #62 of 72

Disposable all the way for me.....because i hate the clean-up... but if I can find a cheaper source for bags ($5 for half decent fabric feel ones) I might switch.

I get my disposables for between 10 and 15 cents a piece. And rewash and reuse them when possible (I find them much much easier to clean that decortator bags, soak them inside out in hot soapy water and they clean up easy)

I live in a city with a large (50%+) asian population so I go to my local asian dollar store and pick up a chinese brand of disposable bags that vary in size from 8" to 20". I find them much more durable that the wilton ones (threw my box of 50 disposable out since the broke on me every single &*#@#$@ time) and can stand to be washed when I feel like it icon_biggrin.gif hehe

I'd love to learn how to use the parchment though!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #63 of 72

I recently discovered Kee-Seal disposable bags. Now it's all I use. You can find them at www.kee-seal.com.

I hated Wilton disposable with a violent passion. The seam kept tearing on me.

missmeg Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #64 of 72

I just have to add my experience that led me to switch to the kee-seal disposables:

I formalized my business a year ago last summer. I was doing a bunch of cakes, and dutifully washed my bags every time. But a few weeks later I started noticing a strange odor. Not all the time, but a whiff of it now and then. Sort of "sticky - sickingly - sweet". I eventually discovered that it was my WASHED decorator bags :blerg:. I ran them through the washing machine with bleach, but it made me turn to the requirements laid out in my Home Sanitation documents from the state. It turned out that I was required to wash/sanitize them to a specific temperature.

So I threw them away and switched to disposables icon_smile.gif. Haven't had that odor problem since, and I'm secure knowing I am using safe food handling practices.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_like_it

keep in mind, I grew up in a household where my Mom washed and re-used Ziploc baggies! I just can't stand throwing away a plastic disposable bag after only one use, so I wash and re-use! I'm not a super-green kinda gal (even though I feel more and more guilt everytime I toss something that could be recycled). Guess I'm turning into my mother, wasting nothing!

My mom did the same thing! But I hated it. To this day, I refuse to clean out a ziploc bag. REFUSE!!!! icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

My mom did the same thing! But I hated it. To this day, I refuse to clean out a ziploc bag. REFUSE!!!! icon_razz.gif

My mom's version was "we're not opening another loaf of bread until you eat the last piece in the open loaf!"

It didn't matter that the last piece or two was dry and practically all crusty! So no matter how poor or broke I might get, I will NEVER be so poor that I can't afford to throw out a piece of stale bread!!!

missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:49pm
post #67 of 72

Amen to that Indydebi!! My kids refuse to eat the ends of a loaf of bread, so I regularly feed the birds and squirrels with them. Not one iota of guilt about it either icon_smile.gif.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:21pm
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

Amen to that Indydebi!! My kids refuse to eat the ends of a loaf of bread, so I regularly feed the birds and squirrels with them. Not one iota of guilt about it either icon_smile.gif.

My 5 years olds favorite part of the bread is the ends!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #69 of 72

Sorry, but I do not like disposal bags! I don't like the feel of them. I love my featherlight bags from wilton. I like the 10" and 12" sizes and although I have some new ones in my box, I have some well-worn ones that I really like so I'll use those until they tear up on me! lol

I put my icing in a plastic wrap "pouch", so I don't have a huge mess in my bags, most of the icing goes in the tips and it's a huge saver.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:44pm
post #70 of 72

Disposable!..Parchment only for small details. I hate the feel of the decorator's bag..Is too slippery!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #71 of 72

Wow, very surprised at the results. I can't use disposable or parchment. I had a stack of disposables that came with the cupcake decorating kit that I bought, but only used those if I had used up all my regular bags and was desperate! Can't figure out parchment to save my life. Messy, messy, messy. I can't get a good grip on either one of those. I love Ateco bags too! I don't find them hard to clean, just soak rinse good and then soak in hot soapy water. I lay them in the dish drainer so that they drain well, and by the time I'm ready to put the dishes away, they are pretty much dry and only need a quick swipe on the inside. If you rinse with really hot water, then they dry really fast.

CamilleBianca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CamilleBianca Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 11:04am
post #72 of 72

ABoy am I late to the party! I didn't even know cake decorating was a career-or my career-in 2008. (I wish!)

I was looking for recommendations on reusable pastry bags. I am trying to use up my box of Wilton disposables, then trying to cut back on my plastic waste. I want to steer clear of bags that are stiff or leak and get oily.

Anybody know one worth the money?

Sweet Regards :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%