How Do I Ask A Friend For Payment????

Business By SScakes Updated 23 Jun 2017 , 6:13pm by remnant3333

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:34am
post #1 of 18

Hi,

Please somebody help me word this. I did a cake for a friend recently. Gave her a price and mailed her my banking details. She was fine with it. This was 2 weeks ago. To date, I still have not received payment.

I want to call or send a mail or something but I'm not sure how to word it......can someone help?

TIA

17 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:59am
post #2 of 18

I'm afraid I'd lie. It's totally transparent - everyone knows it's a lie - but it's a gentle reminder...

"Hiya

I can't remember if I sent you my bank details or not? If I didn't let me know and I'll email them again"

or

"Hiya

It seems I've had problems sending and receiving emails recently - turns out some didn't get through/were bounced back.

If you need my bank details again, for the cake, let me know and I'll try forwarding them again"

Suzanne x

JulissaMyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulissaMyCakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:07am
post #3 of 18

ouch!!! That is an unconfortable situation because she is your friend.

I would say...

"Hi, xxxxxx. I'm (calling, emailing) you to know how are you doing and to double check with you my bank information that I gave you, because as of today, I have not received the payment."

or something along those lines.

Best of luck!!!!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:11am
post #4 of 18

I would just call her up and say...." hey...did you get my banking details that I emailed? Just wondered since I didn't see that you had deposited the payment for the cake yet. If you haven't then could you just send the check to me or drop it by. I really need to have the money since I normally collect before I deliver the cake. I have some things that need to be paid. "

Of course then I wouldn't do another cake for her unless she paid upfront. With friends like that ....

Teri

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:20am
post #5 of 18

I also hate to have to ask to be paid. I would email her and ask if she got the info on my bank and let her know that the payment had not been received.

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:22am
post #6 of 18

Just be honest with her and ask her. Shes probably just forgot. Just treat her like a customer. Just give her a call, she is just your friend not a scary whitch or someone who is going to tell all her friends how bad you are.

Business is business and obviously you need the money.

Good luck

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:15am
post #7 of 18

Me I'm more of a direct kind of guy. My phone call would be. "Hey you got my Money" LOL

Mike

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:44am
post #8 of 18

Well I think if they are truly your friend, you shouldn't have any problem just calling them up and saying you need to have the payment before you can deliver the cake. Like any other customer. Simple as that.

thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 18

YEP I agree.. straight forward..

"Hey... Momma needs some gas money.. Payment in the mail yet? Do I need to pick it up? "

or you can always call the cake mafia icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 18

Hi All, thanks for all the advice/input. I called her and as soon as she answered the phone she apologised saying how hectic things have been and well, after we hung up, she did a transfer.

Thanks again CC, you guys are great

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 18

next time...money up front. icon_biggrin.gif
glad this worked out for you.

mommachris

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 18

Glad it worked out. I no longer accept payment after delivery. I don't have time to track MY money down. Learned my lesson the hard.

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 18

ouch!!! That is an unconfortable situation because she is your friend.

I would say...

"Hi, xxxxxx. I'm (calling, emailing) you to know how are you doing and to double check with you my bank information that I gave you, because as of today, I have not received the payment."

or something along those lines.

Best of luck!!!!

I like this one from Julissamycakes; it gets to the point, clear and you will get an answer right away from your friend (I have not, yes I did, oh let me check) tried that your friend reads the numbers back to you and let her know you will be checking during the day for the trasaction and that you will call her if you dont receive anything that day.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:58am
post #14 of 18

This just recently happened to me, too.

Don't lie....be honest.

First email her and then follow up with a phone call about 2 days before the date you give her (providing you haven't heard back from her after you send the email)....

Quote:
Quote:

Hi xxxx,

I am just wondering when I might expect payment for the cake I did for you on _________. I have bills to pay for the cost of the cake and they are due soon. Can you please provide payment by __[date]___?
If you need me to resend the bank information, please let me know.

Thanks,

xxxxx

HTH!

harlemcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harlemcakelady Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #15 of 18

I have had this same problem.

Why do friends think they can have cake on credit? When they go shopping to any other store they can't leave without paying for their merchandise.

I've gotten a little bolder. Now I tell them if I am not paid upfront I can't make the cake.

I don't want to have to chase my money. It makes me feel as if they are taking advantage of my friendship.

After all it's not personal, it's business.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #16 of 18

I personally would go to her dh (if she has one).

I did this recently. I have a good friend with 4 kids. A few years ago I told her that I would ALWAYS do her youngest ds's b-day cake, 'cause we're convinced that he and my dd (same age) will be getting married some day icon_wink.gif. I've mentioned this comment to her on several occasions.

Fast forward to recently. She purchased the Dancing Daisy flower pan and gave it to me, with the comment that it might be a great pan for her dd's upcoming 10th birthday.

The birthday party is next weekend, and I realized this week that she and I had never discussed payment.

So I emailed her dh and explained the problem. He told me that "money should never get in the way of friendship" and said that he'll pay me in cash the day of the party. His wife will never know.

I know this won't work in all situations, but I'd kept myself awake all night fretting over how to have this converstion with my friend. I'm glad I went to the dh directly. He's a great guy icon_smile.gif.

CathiePoppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathiePoppy Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 10:57am
post #17 of 18

Be honest with her. Tell her that you need payment to order supplies for her cake, ASAP, otherwise you won't be able to do it for her in time. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 18

From what I read she has already done the cake and given it to her friend.  Your friend knows she did not pay you. I would put her on the NO CAKE FOR YOU LIST!!! Never again!!!! She took advantage of your kindness and she is not your friend because a friend would never take advantage of you!!!! Sorry this happened to you!!! As others have stated you need to email or call her and remind her about payment for the cake. If she still ignores your request then you shall know her heart!!! Never make a cake for someone regardless of friend or not until you have deposit in your hands and if they refuse to pay the rest then give cake away to someone else to enjoy!!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%