Meanings Of Words In Recipes: Cream, Sugar, Chocolate Toppin

Decorating By SaraO Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm by Doug

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 11

In the recipes section, if a recipe calls for cream, does this mean whipping cream? If a recipe calls for sugar and does not specify what kind then does it mean white sugar (not icing sugar)? Also, what is chocolate topping? Is it the chocolate syrup stuff (e.g. by Hershey) that you put on ice cream or is it something else? Thanks for your time.

10 replies
SaraO Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry, I meant to say "hot fudge topping" What is hot fudge topping? Is it the kind of thing I would find with the ice cream stuff?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 11

cream usually is just normal cream, not whipping, sometimes called "light" cream

sugar -- yep the normal boring white stuff

hot fudge topping????? oh you poor deprived person..You now have an excuse to take a special road trip to do important research!!! get thee to an ice cream shop and order a hot fudge sundae!!! --

in the stores down here, the hot fudge topping come in a jar (usually Smuckers brand) and is in the same aisle as the other things sold to put on your ice cream (sprinkles, jimmies, pineapple sauce, nuts in sugar syrup) and to put your ice cream in (ice cream cones, bowls, etc.)

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 11

I believe that is correct, about the fudge topping. Also, if a recipe says "sugar", it means regular granulated sugar, otherwise it would call for icing sugar, XXX sugar, or powdered sugar. As for the cream, I would say it is calling for whipping cream or heavy cream (I think they're the same thing icon_confused.gif ). Sometimes it calls for light cream or half & half, I believe you can substitute regular milk for those, in most cases.

HTH!

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 11

Hi SaraO, all your answers are correct.The hot fudge topping is usually warmed up and poured on ice cream, it is thicker than the syrup.I hope this helps you.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 11

Any recipe that calls for cream I use whipping cream( liquid form of course )Unless it says half n half etc ! and heavy cream is good in any recipe !LOL!

SaraO Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 11

Ok great! Thanks for all the helpful replies! And Doug don't feel too bad, I have had a hot fudge sundae before icon_smile.gif I just didn't know that that's the stuff the recipe calls for.

So far, I have always made just normal buttercream or simple chocolate buttercream, but now I want to try something different. Is it harder to decorate with these more complicated icings though? (I mean the ones with fudge topping, syrup, cream, and things like that in them?)

Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraO

Ok great! Thanks for all the helpful replies! And Doug don't feel too bad, I have had a hot fudge sundae before icon_smile.gif I just didn't know that that's the stuff the recipe calls for.

So far, I have always made just normal buttercream or simple chocolate buttercream, but now I want to try something different. Is it harder to decorate with these more complicated icings though? (I mean the ones with fudge topping, syrup, cream, and things like that in them?)

hey, I'm tryin' to help you out here and give you an excuse to get out of the house -- so...call it "blind taste tests" or "quality control research" -- but, go, indulge (oopss....make that "test")

not all that much different to work w/ the fancier ones -- each will have it's unique points but should be able to adapt rather easily (just remember -- it goes on the cake-- not in the mouth!)

SaraO Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 11

Ok great! Thanks! Now, I'm off to do my quality control research icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 11

SaraO... Go out and get your self some BETTERCREME! Add any flavor ice cream topping you want ( not the one that makes the hard shell )whipp it up and its absolutely delicious ! Hey Doug Just a great tip from the cupcake thread ! LOL ! Its the best !

Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 11

now if I could just get Bettercreme locally -- no GFS or similar -- over 2 hours to nearest place that "might" have it.

but good to know for when I'm where I can get it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%