Recipes: Fillings

Baking By Doug Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm by danijus

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #61 of 102

LOL...yes, but I don't have anyone to give the majority of the cake to, and I am afraid I would eat it all by myself....or try a filling and eat it gone before it got on the cake. icon_smile.gif

mayra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayra Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #62 of 102

Oh my, I am so glad I came across this subject. I will be trying a lot of recipes from here. Thanks everyone.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #63 of 102

I love to use stabilized whipped cream (using wilton piping gel or using gelatin) and mixing it with a variety of flavors to fill cakes. Ideas... peach preserves (or any fruit strained), cocoa powder, liquors, flavorings. Has anyone ever mixed dulce de leche into whipped cream to make a mousse- like filling? I was going to do that last week for my son's bday but went with the peach preserves instead. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #64 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Jkalman... I love it. Anytime I don't use this recipe, my SMBC flops! I find it so easy to use and love the lower quantity of butter in it. What's your favorite type/amount of adding chocolate? I tried it once in chocolate but it just wasn't that perfect bang i wanted. thumbs_up.gif

Rosie, I also recommend Indydebi's recipe for crusting. I use a similar version of the Dream Whip and it crusts beautifully and tastes amazing.

I tend to add a lot of bittersweet chocolate Callebut or Ghirardelli.. whatever I have on hand, but at least 60% cacao. You can add I'd say about 6 oz to a batch or more.. I do it by eye all the time.. just add it until it tastes yummy. It's like eating chocolate mousse. If you want a SUPER chocolatey bang though ganache is the way to go. I tend to use chocolate SMBC as a filling more-so than on the outside of a cake. It is a bit soft.. but oh-so tastey and more stable as a filling than actual chocolate mousse.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #65 of 102

Hey cuppy buddy Fiddlesticks! I just kept adding powdered sugar to the SMBC until I thought it was a good spreading consistency. It really tasted good! I thought I invented something!! icon_eek.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #66 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Rosie, I also recommend Indydebi's recipe for crusting. I use a similar version of the Dream Whip and it crusts beautifully and tastes amazing.

Thank you so very much, all of you are awesome!! I will definitelly give BC another try icon_smile.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #67 of 102

I haven't had time to catch up on the entire thread, but I just know i'm gonna find more great fillings try!!! I'm glad I didn't miss this one.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #68 of 102

Oh, wow, this thread has picked up interest quickly, hasn't it?

Question for everyone -

Has anyone ever used plain peanut butter in a cake? I am thinking of a single layer of yellow sponge, torted and filled with peanut butter, then covered in milk chocolate ganache, ala Tastykake Peanut Butter Tandy Kakes, but I am wondering if the peanut butter will make it too dry.

What do any of you think?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jennym0904 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #69 of 102

ahhh someone from the northeast?? I love pb tandykakes- although i think they call then kandykakes. anyways...i have a recipe for homemade tandykakes that could probably be converted into a cak recipe- it's a basic hot milk sponge cake. I think if you keep the peanut butter layer thin it'll be ok. That does sound DELICIOUS to me!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #70 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Question for everyone -

Has anyone ever used plain peanut butter in a cake? I am thinking of a single layer of yellow sponge, torted and filled with peanut butter, then covered in milk chocolate ganache, ala Tastykake Peanut Butter Tandy Kakes, but I am wondering if the peanut butter will make it too dry.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

There is a yummy peanut butter buttercream recipe in the cake doctor book. If anyone wants me to post it, let me know...(it might already be here) I make it with yellow cake, torted, with one layer strawberry gel, next layer buttercream, next layer peanutbutter buttercream. The kids LOVE IT!!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #71 of 102

Yes, SE PA to be exact.

You could be right about the name. All I know is - a pack of them, and a cold glass of milk, and I'm good for the night.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #72 of 102

loriemoms -

Sure, we'll take it. I'm all about trying new recipes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #73 of 102

sure!

1 cup of creamy peanut butter
8 tablespoons of butter, room temp (1 stick)
2 cups of confectioners sugar, sifted
3-4 tablespoons of milk
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract

place the peanut butter and butter in a large mixing bowl Blend on low speed until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Stop the machine. Add the confectioners sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk, and the vanilla. Blend with the mixer at low speed until the sugar is well combined. 1 minute or so. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the frosting lightens and is fluffy. 1 minute or more. Blend in up to 1 tablespoon of milk if stiff.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can use this as a filling or a buttercream on top of the cake.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #74 of 102

Thanks for the PBBC recipe, I'm going to try it this weekend on some texas sheetcake minicakes.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:32am
post #75 of 102

playingwithsugar.. How would you add just plain pb ? how would you get it to spread without messing up the cake ?

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #76 of 102

there is a pineapple filling recipe on here that is so good, I've made it with lemon, coconut and wasc cake and people go nuts over it!

I also like to use strawberries, slice them very thin and cover them in sugar, the next day make a light geltain from knox just so they are drippy. It's a nice way to have fruit and not be gross.

I use a lot of liquors as fillings. I put 2 cups of butter, 1 cup of baileys (godiva, kahlua, amaretto, butterscotch schnapps) and then powdered sugar until the right consistency.

I really like to alternate flavors and fillings, like I have a neopolitan cake that is white cake on the bottom, a layer of chocolate ganache, then strawberry cake, then strawberry filling, then chocolate cake. It's really really yummy. And a similar banana split cake and cookies and cream cake. I do another one that doesn't have a catchy name, but it's butter pecan cake with a layer of chocolate buttercream, butter pecan cake, a layer of caramel (the sweetened condensed milk variety), then b.p. cake, chocolate b.c. and more cake. It's ridiculously good. Maybe that's what I'll call it...

jennym0904 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #77 of 102

you're "ridiculously good cake" sounds ridicously delicious!!! i might try to make that one! icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #78 of 102

aligotmatt.. Oh please explain how and what you use for the ridiculously good cake !! Yes Its been named ! good choice !!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #79 of 102

I doctor up betty crocker butter pecan cake mix, 2 cakes torted to make 4 layers. Make chocolate buttercream, and then I personally like to cook the sweetenened condensed milk forever on the stove top to make the caramel - I feel more in control and that's how I like it icon_wink.gif Then just layer them up, making good dams as you go.

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #80 of 102

Thanks !!! So yummy !!!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:08pm
post #81 of 102

aligotmatt, such good ideas! I love the neopolitan idea. Now we have to try that in a cupcake! icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #82 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I tend to add a lot of bittersweet chocolate Callebut or Ghirardelli.. whatever I have on hand, but at least 60% cacao. You can add I'd say about 6 oz to a batch or more.. I do it by eye all the time.. just add it until it tastes yummy. It's like eating chocolate mousse. If you want a SUPER chocolatey bang though ganache is the way to go. I tend to use chocolate SMBC as a filling more-so than on the outside of a cake. It is a bit soft.. but oh-so tastey and more stable as a filling than actual chocolate mousse.

Thank you!! When I made it, it was so soft! I thought I'd done something wrong. Trying to ice the cake was a nightmare!! icon_evil.gif I did add 6 oz. of Hershey's bittersweet chocolate. I should really try a better quality chocolate and see how that improves on the flavor.

Do you have a similar problem with adding white chocolate?

Ganache is so easy to make. I might start using that as my main chocolate frosting now.

CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #83 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

playingwithsugar.. How would you add just plain pb ? how would you get it to spread without messing up the cake ?

Oh. was this for me icon_confused.gif I was only planning to pipe & swirl on top icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #84 of 102

Here's a filling I tried last night. It's absolutely amazing!!! I made cupcakes using a vanilla cake mix, creme bouquet, and white chocolate pudding.

Strawberry Mascarpone

In a food processor...

8-ounce mascarpone, chilled
1/2 cup frozen strawberries, drained
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. lemon juice

FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #85 of 102

Aswartzw.. White chocolate is very soft.. I'd add it in small amounts. I don't care for white chocolate so it's not something I experiment with a lot. I have read that some add cocoa powder to their SMBC, but I haven't. I love ganache. It's expensive though so I charge extra for it.

To compare.. dark chocolate ganache I make with a 1:1 ratio of chocolate to cream. With white chocolate it's 2.5-3:1 chocolate to cream. It is
SOOOOOO soft.

PB can be softened if you heat it very slightly too so it's more spreadable. That would make for a rich cake.. make sure you have some milk! icon_smile.gif Add a strawberry jam layer and that would be good too.

fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #86 of 102

playingwithsugar wrote
Has anyone ever used plain peanut butter in a cake? I am thinking of a single layer of yellow sponge, torted and filled with peanut butter ?
Thats what I asked about ?

CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #87 of 102

Oh okay, I've never used just pb. I bet that would be good though on a yellow cake, add some jelly too & you'd have a pb & j cake icon_lol.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:52pm
post #88 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Question for everyone -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure if this would be what you are looking for but last night I made a yellow cake and filled it with peanut butter SMBC and then iced it in chocolate SMBC...It was soooo good. I've never used straight peanut butter before though.

For what it's worth the peanut butter SMBC wasn't overly sweet and really tasted like peanut butter and not powdered sugar and peanut butter paste like the american buttercreams do.

FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #89 of 102

Hehehehe... Cocoablondie and I have very similar cake thoughts.. too bad you live so far away! icon_wink.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #90 of 102

Pretty far, but not as far away as some icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%