Recipes: Fillings

Baking By Doug Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm by danijus

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #31 of 102

Hello to all..quick question: can you use SMBC to frost a cake? does it get smooth at all?
Ok, thank you!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #32 of 102

SMBC is all I use.. you can get it very smooth but it doesn't crust so you can use the viva or the melvira methods.

PB Mousse

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chilled whipping cream

Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter and cream cheese in large bowl to blend. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until well blended. Using clean dry beaters, beat whipping cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form; fold into peanut butter mixture in 4 additions.

Sooooo yummy

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #33 of 102

I have added powdered sugar to SMBC before. It stiffins it up and is actually quite good.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #34 of 102

Here is the recipe that I use from the site:

Peanut Butter Mousse

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Fillings
Difficulty: Easy

I found this recipe and its now a favorite filling on my chocolate cakes. Its very very rich and very smooth

1 18-ounce jar creamy peanut butter (2 cups)
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups chilled whipping cream

Bring cream cheese to room temp.
Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter and cream cheese in large bowl to blend. Add powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons vanilla extract and beat until well blended. Using clean dry beaters, beat 2 cups whipping cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form; fold into peanut butter mixture in 4 additions.
Source:
Contributed by: Melody25 on Wednesday, March 07. 2007 at 09:23:17

More Recipes of Melody25

Please take a second and rate this recipe:
Average score: 4.91 ()
Votes: 12

Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #35 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

SMBC is all I use.. you can get it very smooth but it doesn't crust so you can use the viva or the melvira methods.

PB Mousse

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chilled whipping cream

Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter and cream cheese in large bowl to blend. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until well blended. Using clean dry beaters, beat whipping cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form; fold into peanut butter mixture in 4 additions.

Sooooo yummy

Thank you Jkalman for this info! but let me see if I understood (sorry I'm new to SMBC icon_redface.gif ) you mean that you can NOT use the viva/melvira methods with this smbc, correct? also, if the peanut butter is ommitted (food allergies) you think this would still work and be smooth?
Sorry, for all the questions---last saturday I tried my first buttercream and it didn't get smooth at all icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I ended up pulling a carton of pastry pride and adding that on top and it looked better but not perfect icon_confused.gif I only do cake for home so nobody complains but I wasn't happy icon_sad.gif
Ok, gracias to all you experts!!!! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #36 of 102

WOW!! Isent that the same recipe only doubled ?? Thats everyone for sharing it ! GrandmaG ole cuppy buddy LOL!!..at what point and how much powdered sugar do you add to the smbc??

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #37 of 102

Rosie2
.. Did you let your buttercream crust first ?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #38 of 102

Here's the link to LadyCakes.com Fillings file -

http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Fillings/fillings.htm

I think there's 78 different varieties of fillings on here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

terah79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terah79 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #39 of 102

Thanks jkalman! I'll be trying both of those this weekend! Do you think it would help the SMBC to crust if you put a bit of meringue powder in it? I just tried the SMBC last weekend and got nothing but ravings from the family. I'm just worried about getting that nice smooth finish that you can get with BC and the viva method...

Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #40 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Rosie2

Well, I waited 1/2 hour and I figured it wasn't goint to crust. Although, I've heard the temperature affects BC and it was really hot that day in my area.

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #41 of 102

Thanks for recipes EVERYONE icon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #42 of 102
Quote:

Rosie2

Well, how long do you let it crust? I waited about 1/2 hr and it never did. Although, the temp was pretty hot in my area that day and I've heard that affects BC right?

Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #43 of 102

oops, sorry I don't know why I did a double post ---I'm still new here icon_redface.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #44 of 102

Well the PB mousse isn't SMBC.. I make SMBC by beating 10 egg whites with 2 cups of sugar over a double boiler until it reaches 160 degrees then put the bowl on my mixer on med-high with the whisk attachment until it is cooled and nice and fluffy looking. Then switch to the paddle attachment and gradually add 8 sticks of unsalted butter (I used to use 6, but with unsalted butter you can add all 8 and it still doesn't taste like butter) which will make it look soupy.. then maybe lumpy.. and then smooth again. When it's all added and smooth add 3-6 TBSP vanilla.

you cannot use viva towels or anything like that to smooth it. All I do is take a warm bench scraper to the sides and it smooths out super nice, but it does take practice. Don't fret if you don't get it smooth the first few tries.

FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #45 of 102

SMBC isn't supposed to crust at all. Adding meringue powder won't change that as far as I know. I think if it did crust it'd be really wierd because it's like whipped cream in texture.

I found that PB mousse recipe on Epicurious.com and 1/2'd it because it makes a LOT as a whole recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #46 of 102

OOOOPPPPS, icon_redface.gif Yes it is the same just doubled. I was slow on the draw & only read the one post from my e-mail.

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #47 of 102

No problem I just wanted to make sure I wasent misreading something !Rosie2
It should of been well or maybe to crusted by then !

CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:41pm
post #48 of 102

I guess I like to make the whole recipe so I can have some as well as have enough for the cake. icon_lol.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #49 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Rosie2

Well, I waited 1/2 hour and I figured it wasn't goint to crust. Although, I've heard the temperature affects BC and it was really hot that day in my area.

What BC did you use? American or SMBC/IMBC? I assume american?? If that's the case, I'm surprised it didn't crust. How did you try to smooth it out? With a paper towel? As long as the paper towel doesn't stick to it, it has crusted.

When using SMBC, I use a hot knife and it works great! I use the Well Dressed SMBC from this site.

aswartzw Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #50 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by terah79

Thanks jkalman! I'll be trying both of those this weekend! Do you think it would help the SMBC to crust if you put a bit of meringue powder in it? I just tried the SMBC last weekend and got nothing but ravings from the family. I'm just worried about getting that nice smooth finish that you can get with BC and the viva method...

SMBC can not crust. It's due to the fat:sugar ratio. SMBC doesn't have the right ratio. I personally get a much better finish with SMBC than I do with the viva method on aBC.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:16pm
post #51 of 102

I found this video on you tube a few months ago and it is fabulous for demonstrating how to make SMBC. You can visit it at

FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #52 of 102

That video is great.. just make sure you add a LOT more vanilla to it than she says to. icon_smile.gif

Cocoablondie.. I'd love to belly up to the leftovers too, but I'm trying to lose some poundage. icon_wink.gif

Rosie.. your recipe might not have been a crusting recipe.. not all American style BC's will crust.

Coolio aswartzw.. I am glad you like my recipe. icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #53 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Rosie2

What BC did you use? American or SMBC/IMBC? I assume american?? If that's the case, I'm surprised it didn't crust. How did you try to smooth it out? With a paper towel? As long as the paper towel doesn't stick to it, it has crusted.

When using SMBC, I use a hot knife and it works great! I use the Well Dressed SMBC from this site.

Hi, thank you for your help...I used this recepie http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html because I read on a thread that is a great BC. But yeah, I tried the Viva towel and it was sticky the whole time....I followed the instructions but still didn't work icon_sad.gif ---maybe I need to try another recepie, huh?

Rosie2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #54 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Rosie.. your recipe might not have been a crusting recipe.. not all American style BC's will crust.

Thank you Jkalman, I used this recepie http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html because I've read that is a great BC

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #55 of 102
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #56 of 102

I love the buttercream dream and sugarshacks along with IndyDebi's.. You should be able to get 1 of these to work for you !

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #57 of 102

Well not to change the subject but this is my first time on since Thursday and I would like to say a big THANKS to CC for the cupcake forum. YES icon_biggrin.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #58 of 102

You all are making me very hungry. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:30pm
post #59 of 102

sweetideas.. You better go bake something LOL!

aswartzw Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #60 of 102

Jkalman... I love it. Anytime I don't use this recipe, my SMBC flops! I find it so easy to use and love the lower quantity of butter in it. What's your favorite type/amount of adding chocolate? I tried it once in chocolate but it just wasn't that perfect bang i wanted. thumbs_up.gif

Rosie, I also recommend Indydebi's recipe for crusting. I use a similar version of the Dream Whip and it crusts beautifully and tastes amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%