What Is The Dif Between Hi Ratio Shortening And Regular?

Decorating By Jovy Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 6:10am by sugarshack

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 3

I did not see any topic about it. If there any, please let me know.

thanks in advance for your time ladies!

Have a cakelicious day!!!

2 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 3

Hi ratio shortening sold by Proctor and Gamble to professional chefs comes in two forms that I'm aware of, liquid called Nutex and solid called Sweetex. Regular shortening is called Primex. The difference between it and regular shortening is that it contains microemulsifiers that allow a batter to hold more sugar and liquid. Most cakes will always have more flour than sugar, but one with more sugar than flour is a high ratio cake. This kind of batter will also hold more liquid, and we all know the two cheapest things a baker can sell are air and water. Look at the label on a can of crisco-- see that.. it says mono- and diglycerides. Those are microemulsifiers. So I'd say depending at what you are doing with it, you might get away with substituting. Except for Nutex. I don't think crisco can fill in for that in a cake. And if you find some, I have formulas. Surprisingly, P&G won't give you any.

Basically what this means is that the microemulsifiers are going to make your icing smoother. The loss of fat in crisco when they made their product 0 transfat change the comsistency of the product wich change the consistency of the icing. Making it more bubbly and airy. Making it difficult to smooth down..
Not that it can't be done. The fat can be brought with other products like heavy cream or milk. But the high ratio shortening will bring a more smoother consistency of icing than crisco.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:10am
post #3 of 3

It has more emulsifiers in it, so it keeps the liquid combined with the fat better. you have less separating, less wrinkling and cracking after icing. the icing is moother and creamier and has a less greasy mouthfeel. It still will crust, but it gives you more workability time and the icing is more forgiving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%