Opinions Needed: Would It Be Dumb If I Had Cake Dummies As..

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm by indydebi

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 14

Would it be dumb if I had cake dummies as centerpieces for my wedding?

I can't find any kind of centerpiece that I like, or that I can afford! What if I had a bunch of cake dummies decorated & used those as centerpieces? Would that be dumb? I'm afraid people would think that they're dumb because they're not real, lol - people around here really don't know much about cake stuff!

Soo...dumb idea? or good idea?

13 replies
clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 14

I think it would be cute. Who cares what anyone else thinks, it's yours wedding!!! Hopefully no one tries to eat them...lol

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 14

I think that's an awesome idea! All you would have to do is getting some pretty card stock and a beautiful font, and print out little display cards that say something to the effect that 'For display purposes only! Do not eat!'...kinda like a place-card for your cakes!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 14

Very cool idea. Decorate the same style as the real cake.

Mike

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 14

Great idea! You could get all of them done in advance...much less stress then trying to do cakes at the last minute. thumbs_up.gif

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 14

Such a wonderful idea! What makes it great is that it is a part of you. People always say incorporate who you are in your wedding and by having dummies as centerpeices you are expressing a part of you! Great idea!

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 14

Nothing wrong with it especially if thats what you like.
My cousin had wine bottles as ceterpieces wrapped nicely in gold paper. However my moms family is Irish/Italian. When they found out they were full they started popping them open. It was interesting. See the reception and ceremony were in the same room. They were all drunk before the wedding started. icon_redface.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawanka

Nothing wrong with it especially if thats what you like.
My cousin had wine bottles as ceterpieces wrapped nicely in gold paper. However my moms family is Irish/Italian. When they found out they were full they started popping them open. It was interesting. See the reception and ceremony were in the same room. They were all drunk before the wedding started. icon_redface.gif

Ha Ha thats so funnyicon_smile.gif

Deb55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb55 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 14

That sounds like a very cute idea. You could also put something inedible on top, like a votive or small vase with flowers, etc.

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 14

cakebaker1957
It was funny especially since my father was the pastor doing the wedding.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 14

Cute idea, but signs or no signs someone's going to try to cut centerpiece cakes.

In my world there'd be a lot of humor at the expense of someone who served fake food on the same table with real food.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #12 of 14

Thanks everyone! You all - well, except for MaisieBake LOL - you all made me feel better about it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb55

That sounds like a very cute idea. You could also put something inedible on top, like a votive or small vase with flowers, etc.

I like this idea a lot!! thumbs_up.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 14

These sound wonderful - you have to post pictures of the decorated tables at the wedding!

What size do you plan to make these? Just wondering where you get little styrofoam tiers or will you cut your own?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #14 of 14

I think it's a cute idea!

That one foam company (Starts with a "D" ... a city in Texas .... ends in "foam") sells 4" squares (3" tall) for $0.44 and 6" square (3" tall for $0.60). THe rounds are $0.65 each for the 4" and the 6".

Hmmmm ..... what a very cute marketing idea! icon_rolleyes.gif

And being able to make them way ahead of time would be a great idea ... 'coz those small ones are a pain to work on! But even with that factor, I think it's a cute idea for a centerpiece!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%