Timeline And Storage For 1St Cookie Order

Baking By 29apr00 Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm by bsanders12

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 10

I have my 1st cookie order due next week, for 200 cookies!! YIKES!!

I'm using the NFSC recipe, and Toba's Glace Icing recipe. I love that icing!

So i'm thinking 5 batches of NFSC and 6 of the icing? Is that enought??

My thought is to start making the dough saturday and sunday, maybe even make a batch or two of cookies if time allows. I teach class Tuesday night, then when i get home i want to make the icing. Wedensday i took off work to do this. I need to decorate and bake all the rest of the cookies to be ready for delivery on Thursday, so they can be passed out on Friday. They will be individually bagged.

If i make the cookies on Sunday, can i just store them in the fridge until i ice on wednesday?? And then once their iced, can i put them back in the fridge until delivery on thursday? Will the icing mess up sitting out until friday when they pass out the cookies??

Thanks!!

9 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29apr00

I have my 1st cookie order due next week, for 200 cookies!! YIKES!!

I'm using the NFSC recipe, and Toba's Glace Icing recipe. I love that icing!

So i'm thinking 5 batches of NFSC and 6 of the icing? Is that enought??

My thought is to start making the dough saturday and sunday, maybe even make a batch or two of cookies if time allows. I teach class Tuesday night, then when i get home i want to make the icing. Wedensday i took off work to do this. I need to decorate and bake all the rest of the cookies to be ready for delivery on Thursday, so they can be passed out on Friday. They will be individually bagged.

If i make the cookies on Sunday, can i just store them in the fridge until i ice on wednesday?? And then once their iced, can i put them back in the fridge until delivery on thursday? Will the icing mess up sitting out until friday when they pass out the cookies??

Thanks!!

It depends... are your cookies 3" or 6" and how thick are you rolling them?

I would make the dough, roll and cut. Then freeze the cut-outs. Bake all at once. I think Toba's icing is best when freshly made. They'll need overnight to dry.

I absolutely would NOT put them in the fridge. Store in an airtight container separated by wax paper. The moisture in the fridge will wreak havoc on the cookies and/or icing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Will the icing mess up..." icon_confused.gif

onceuponacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacookie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 10

Hi, I have two seperate orders for this Saturday, both 100 cookies. I finished up all my baking yesterday. Put one order in my deep freeze and started the decorating on the other one. I will finsih these up today (using Toba's glaze) and then put them in the freezer, I put a layer of plastic wrap between each layer of cookies. I will take them out on Saturday morning, lay them out to thaw, then put them on platters.

My second one is for my Aunts wedding, they are going to be bagged, I will decorate on Thursday/Friday and bag them up Friday evening.

Good Luck and have fun!

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

It depends... are your cookies 3" or 6" and how thick are you rolling them?

I would make the dough, roll and cut. Then freeze the cut-outs. Bake all at once. I think Toba's icing is best when freshly made. They'll need overnight to dry.

I absolutely would NOT put them in the fridge. Store in an airtight container separated by wax paper. The moisture in the fridge will wreak havoc on the cookies and/or icing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Will the icing mess up..." icon_confused.gif

I just meant will the icing run once it thaws.

I'm using the wilton crazy cookie cutter, and they'll be about 1/4" thick.

I don't think i have enough freezer space for 200 cookie cutouts!! icon_lol.gif

onceuponacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacookie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 10

Regarding the icing running when it thaws......when I take mine out of the freezer I spread them out single layer, till they are thawed and at room temp, before packaging them up.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 10

I had trouble in the past when refrigerating cookies iced with Toba's Glace. The icing would get cloudy and splotchy. By adding some brite white food color, it pretty much eliminated the problem.

The cookies stay fresh for quite some time, so if you stick them in the fridge you should be fine. I like to put them in freezer ziplocks, then in tupperware. (The tupperware is to prevent them from getting jostled and broken).

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #7 of 10

About freezing the cutouts? i have cookies due this Saturday and Sunday, I was going to make the cookie dough tonight then put it in the fridge. Can I make the cutouts tonight and then freeze them until Wednesday or thursday when I will bake them. I have about 80 cookies to make. I am going to decorate 40 on thursday and 40 on friday. Is this technique of freezing the cutouts ok? And what should i freeze them in?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:37am
post #8 of 10

Many decorators freeze the cut-outs, then bake at a later date. I've never done this, but I have frozen the dough and used it later. Worked just fine! I would lay the cut-outs on waxed paper. Slightly freeze, then add another layer, and so on. Either do this in a sealable container, or on a tray that can be placed in a ziplock bag (they have really large bags available). Good luck!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:56am
post #9 of 10

I had 500 cookies to do this past week. I froze my unbaked cutouts like the PP mentioned above. I cut them out and layered on a couple of large sheet pans. If you don't have room in the freezer, you can also refrigerate them for a few days.

NFSC will stay fresh for a REALLY long time after they are baked.

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you that really helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%