Age 15, Location Wa. Can You Help Me!

Business By mandygirlxoxo Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 11:28am by HerBoudoir

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:06am
post #1 of 6

just wondering what i need to start a buisness. or info on some classes i could take while im still in highschool. kinda like a running start program. idk if you guys know anything about that. just want some input. i know i heard someone talking about needing a licence or something to bake cakes from home for buisness... but i dont think you can be 15 and have a licence for baking... im so confused. maybe ill just start small and work my way up. im turning 16 in february next year so i could get a job at safeway in the bakery or something just to learn the basics and maybe get better at my handwriting on cakes...

just let me know what you think

5 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #2 of 6

Have you taken any wilton classes yet?

i worked in some in store bakeries before i opened my the wilton classes and maybe getting a job at a bakery would be a good place to start.

at my first bakery job, all i did for 6 weeks was ice cakes...all day long....and do the dishes.

not that much fun, but i can ice a cake as square as a brick in about 3 minutes it was good for me.

you'll learn A LOT reading this board

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #3 of 6

You need a liscense to have/run a business. BUT in the state of Washington you cannot legally sell baked goods from your home. You would have to rent or have a commercial kitchen and for some reason there are not many that I have found in the Seattle area.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 6

I would think to start with some classes, then work in a bakery for the experience and why not call the health dept to find out how old you can be to apply for a license and what are the requirements to cook out of your home. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, you'll do great. Good to hear from a fellow Washingtonian! Good luck!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #5 of 6

your age may be a problem in terms of being involved in contracts. As a minor you may not be able to enforce anything that your customers sign. I'm in Ca. as I don't know your laws. It is just something else you may want to look in to.


HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:28am
post #6 of 6

Another thing you can look into is if your HS offers dual-enrollment with the local community college. Dual-enrollment is something some of our local HS students do - their senior year, they can take 2 afternoon classes per semester at the community colllege, and earn both HS credits and college credits with the same course.

Community colleges offer some really great classes that would help you out: Introduction to Business, Small Business Ownership, Entrepreneurship. If they have a culinary program, you may be able to take classes like Food Safety and other hotel and restaurant management courses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%