What Would You Do?

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm by butterflywings

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:30am
post #1 of 3

I need some decorating suggestions/advice.

I'm making a 3 tier, football themed cake. I'm good with everything, except borders! The bottom tier will be decorated to resemble the football field, so that one is easy - grass. The middle tier will look like the team's helmet (solid color w/stripe around middle) but I have NO idea what to do for the border, shells seem frilly and out of place. The top tier will be a football using the wilton football pan, but again, border??? Dots? Something masculine? HELP! I'm really excited about this cake, the sketch I made looks really good and hubby thinks it will be a HUGE hit with the recipient/football fanatic. Plus, it's going to be relatively easy to do, mostly buttercream w/fondant accents. Oh and I'm planning to make goal posts to sit on the corners of the bottom tiers, sticking up out of the cake - should I do those out of gumpaste or RI, would the RI get soggy and breakdown if I were to stick it in the cake?

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #2 of 3

I would make a long rope of fondant, wrap it around the bottom back, then in the front, I would form it into a copy of the face mask for the helmet.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 3

rope.. i hadn't thought of that (D'oh!) great, that helps w/the middle tier...

any suggestions for the football tier? should i do rope there, too?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%