Buttercream With Fading Color

Decorating By ConnieSue Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 1:43am by lutie

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 8

I have a request for a cake that starts out bright pink at the bottom and fades to very pale pink. 12 inch bottom layer and 8 inch top layer. So each layer will need to have more than one shade of pink.

Is this possible? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 8

I'm sure it could be done with an airbrush. I've seen stuff like that in the past and thought that was how it was done.

I think you could also use two shades of pink (especially if you use the large cake icer tip) and then smear it a little bit where the two colors meet to blend them together. I'm not sure how that would look once the cake was smoothed out, depending on what method you use.

If only it were fondant icon_biggrin.gif I know how to do lots of neat color things with fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 8

Yep you'll need an airbrush...*might* be able to do it with the Wilton color sprayers if you are careful.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #4 of 8

Instead of going to the expense and practice of the airbrush, why not put the progressive shades together in a pastry bag (you know, when you put white and blue to make variegated flowers). You can go around the cake with one swoop with a large decorating tip... (like a #789 Wilton)... then take your knife and swirl it in... should work like a charm.

ConnieSue Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:23am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the ideas. Lutie it looks like your idea is going to be the one to try. icon_biggrin.gif We don't have the wilton sprayers in this area and there is no time to order. This would have been much easier in fondant!

lutie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 8

Let all of us know how you did... make sure you post pictures, okay?

ConnieSue Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 8

I will post a pic good or bad!

lutie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #8 of 8

Great, Connie Sue! Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%