Leftover Fondant

Decorating By doreenre Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 4:34am by all4cake

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 7

What do you do w/ your leftover/unused fondant?

I usually have the best intentions to use leftover mmf sooner than later, however, more often than not, I forget and find unused BRICK-hard pieces of fondant.

I know when using Satin Ice, the fondant will keep for a long time b/c of the great plastic bag and the sealed container. But how long is the opened Satin Ice good for anyway?

What's the shelf life on your homemade fondant? How do you store it to keep it from becoming cement? AND is it possible to bring it back to life when it does?

TIA

6 replies
mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 7

this may sound gross. but my course 3 teacher told me to smother the leftover fondant in crisco and keep it in a air tight container or a ziplock bag. thats what i do, seams to keep pretty well if its moist enough. =)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

If you make roses out of fondant or gumpaste, you can use leftovers to make the center cones on toothpicks and save them for when you'll need them. It doesn't matter what color they are because they won't show anyway once you put the roses together.

Dirtystreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dirtystreetz Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 7

Crisco, cling wrap and I put it in airtight tupperware

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 7

You can also freeze fondant! icon_smile.gif

Roll in a ball, smear with crisco, wrap in plastic wrap then put in a ziplock or air tight bowl. The air is what causes fondant to harden, so you want to do what you can to keep the air off it.

I'm not sure about homemade fondant (unless you froze it) but I always say store bought fondant is good until it is hard.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #6 of 7

I cover with crisco, wrap in press n seal, thin place in a reynolds handi vac bag.

I have used some satin ice 4 months after opening without a problem.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #7 of 7

The bucket states it's good for a year....

If you look on the lid, the manufacturing date is on it(2 circles...1 for the month, 1 for the year)...On the Satin Ice that is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%