Question About Using Gumpaste In Molds

Decorating By moxey2000 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm by marknelliesmum

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 4

I have lots of really wonderful candy molds, but it's way too hot here in summer to use chocolate. I tried using gumpaste in my shell molds, but it was so difficult to remove the pieces, even after several days of drying, that most of them broke or were messed up icon_cry.gif . How do I use my molds with gumpaste and get them out? I see all these wonderful gumpaste pieces on CC and I really want to make more things with gumpaste, but this one is a showstopper for me icon_sad.gif . Thanks for the help icon_smile.gif .

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 4

do you dust your molds w/ cornstarch or powdered sugar before putting in the gumpaste?

and

pop out while still fresh and dry separately

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 4

Cornstarch!! That's it icon_surprised.gif ! I don't know why, but all I could think of was oil spray, which I knew must be wrong thumbsdown.gif ! Thank you so much Doug, you're terrific thumbs_up.gif !

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 4

Hi
I am a newbie here so i hope this goes in the correct place. I had a similar problem with moulds. I have various molds - the cornstarch works well with rubber/silicone moulds but i found it didn't work with hard, plastic chocolate moulds. My solution ( and i was grasping at straws!) was to fill the moulds then put them in the freezer for about half an hour - they were much more manageable and the shape didn't change as I tried to release the sugarpaste - worked a treat!
Hope this helps
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%