Found Oval Separator Plates, Now What?

Decorating By postcakes Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm by Cakenicing4u

postcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
postcakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, so I found a set of oval separator plates at a local cake supply store. There was only one set, and the owner said she doesn't have any more. They are marked Wilton, but I am very confused as to how to use them. This is going to sound really stupid, but I am not sure which side of the plate is "up", the "footed" side, or the side that has four small cirular indentations which look like pegs would go in them? I am making a 3 tier oval for Sunday, and I just can't quite figure out the logistics of stacking it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 4

footed side is bottom -- that's where it locks into the columns it can sit on.

so....plate cake, columns, plate, cake, columns, plate cake.

columns of course go through the cake below to rest on the top of the lower plate.

length of columns adjusted to give no gap (cut to height of tier) or gap (as big as you can make based on length of columns you buy)

postcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
postcakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Doug! Are the columns standard Wilton pillars cut to size? I am heading to Hobby Lobby today after work.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 4

yes, the wilton pillars should work... we make a cute baby stroller with oval pans and that oval pan set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%