Anybody Ever Sell Cake By The Slice At The Farmers Market?

Business By Cascades Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm by MichelleM77

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 17

I was thinking of promoting my wedding cake business more by selling cake by the slice at the local farmers market. Do you think it's possible. I sold it once in my home town at the christmas tree lighting and had a line around the block. I am just no sure how I can do this with health codes. Don't they have to be individual packaged? I am fully liscensed so that wouldn't be a problem. I am jsut worried that If I slice them ahead of time they might get to dry---Any ideas?

16 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 17

Are you working from a licensed kitchen? California is very strict about home-baked goods not being sold.

Pre slicing will make it easier, they do have to be individually wrapped/covered. a bit risky in hot weather.

Cascades Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 17

Yes Joanna,

I am one of the lucky ones in California who just happened to get a liscensed Health Dept approved Commercial Kitchen built in a small cottage adjacent to my house on my property. My problem is trying to get my name out there---nearest big town is 45 minutes away. I thought the farmers market might be a great way. Lots of people. The only problem is I don't want to make too much stuff that isn't in line with the product that I sell which is cakes. I was thinking of cupcakes, but then I remembered how well I did selling the cake slices--- I guess I am just reaching-- I just do tiered cakes so selling those is not an option. But I thought this was a way to earn a little extra money and get people to taste my product.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 17

Whether or not it would be worth the extra effort depends on some associated costs.

I worked the market here a couple of years ago. You need to find out if they charge a 'membership' fee and weekly rental, if you have to buy a tent, etc. How long do you have to be there, we had to be set up by 8am and could not take down until 3pm. a VERY long day with cake.

If you can go intermittantly, it might be worth a shot to see how it goes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 17

Our state has a whole separate set of rules for farmers markets so check with them on any special requirements.

I would also ask what kind of farmers market is this? High end, high class? If so, it may be worth it, But I don't know any bride who thinks, "I'm looking for a wedding cake .... let's browse thru the farmers market and see who's there!" icon_confused.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 17

Our state licenses home bakers, but its whole different story when you sell it packaged. My inspector told me you need to do ingredient lists and everything! I was thinking of doing pies at christmas time at our farmers market and was too chicken...
(not chicken pies, just too chicken to do it)

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 17

Hi Cascades!!

I'm in Turlock!! Small world!! Your cakes are beautiful!!

Cascades Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 17

Indydebi,

Yes, it is a pretty high class market. I have been growing my business alot in this area in the tiered specialty cakes (alot of large birthdays) I thought I might have a few small decorated fondant cakes on hand since it is a Thursday evening market and some people might like a decorated cake for the weekend. I am pretty sure the fondant cakes would be alright. I would also be open to taking orders for the next week.

I was also thinking of doing strawberry shortcake. I could make my white cake with my strawberry mousse filling (non dairy) put them in dessert cups with lids and keep them in my ice chests. Then when they buy one I could have the strawberries in a large coverd jar sitting in ice and put them on top at the last minute. (boy have I been racking my mind!) Any opinions.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 17

Think about how people walking around the farmer's market are going to eat whatever you're selling. You need portable and easy to eat with one hand (and that one hand that includes the hand holding the food). You also need something that's not going to end up all over the tee shirt of not only your buyer, but the person your buyer bumps into.

If it were me I think I'd aim more for small cakes that are packaged and ready to go for the weekend. Fondant might be a hard sell, though--as a cake person I understand why you'd use it but as a customer, I'm not sure that I'd want to buy.

Cascades Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 17

Well guys thanks for all your opinions. If you have any other thoughts please keep them coming. I value all of you. I think what I am going to do, is go to the farmers market on Thursday and really evaluate the situation more. I have gone many times but I need to look at it in a business set of mind. Maybe I can talk to some vendors.

Tomatoqueen: Thanks for the compliment. I hope you stay cool today!

Cascades Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 17

By the way guys, I guess I should explain a little bit more about this farmers market. It is kind of unique. It is in the town park. A very big shaded park on Thursday evenings. There are many vendors selling food to eat, also since it's in the wine country, the wineries are all there with tastings. Lots of farmers too! It's the place to be on Thursday nights. There are plenty of places for people to sit and eat what they buy. Maybe this will help with ideas.

Thanks

Cascades

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascades

By the way guys, I guess I should explain a little bit more about this farmers market. It is kind of unique. It is in the town park. A very big shaded park on Thursday evenings. There are many vendors selling food to eat, also since it's in the wine country, the wineries are all there with tastings. Lots of farmers too! It's the place to be on Thursday nights. There are plenty of places for people to sit and eat what they buy. Maybe this will help with ideas.

Thanks

Cascades

Well that changes everything! It's not your Saturday morning go out to get veggies and bread from the locals. It sounds like you would be the dessert for the other vendors selling food. I think cake slices would work well, but have you thought about cookies? Even if you only offer them at the market, it will bring people to your table and you can have info about your cakes. Just a thought.....

Cascades Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 17

By the way Tomatoqueen, I just looked at your photos and your not so bad yourself!!! I love love love the Bride of Frankenstien Cake!
I think that would make a great Grooms Cake. (If the bride has a sense of humor)

Cascades

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #14 of 17

Agree with Michelle! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 17

What about doing cupcakes? Something simple like a filled and frosted cupcake with a small fondant cutout flower on the top. This would make it easier to transport and sell and also make it easier to eat. No cutting involved and you can eat a cupckae with one hand too. Have info on hand to give out to those who are interested.. maybe have a dummy cake for display. Sounds like it could be a nice opportunity it the cost to start up isn't too high.

Cascades Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 17

O.k guys, I know I am probably driving you all nuts, but what about cake balls? Maybe package them up in sealed bags and sell them buy the half dozen or dozen I can keep them in my ice chest to keep cool. I have never tried them, but I have heard they are good.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #17 of 17

I think cupcakes and cake balls are a great idea too. I just attended a local event at a winery and there is always a lady there selling her truffles. Wine and chocolate are lovely together. icon_smile.gif You did say there was wine there, right, or am I just craving wine?!?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%