Quick: How Much Should I Charge For This????

Decorating By rlreynolds217 Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm by rlreynolds217

rlreynolds217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlreynolds217 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 12

Help!!!! Quick!!! I have to come up with a price today. Now the flowers were provided by the bride. I set the cake up, and bought all of the stuff around it (candles, stand, etc), which they are going to pay me for, but I lost a couple hours on my day job....it was a two tiered white chocolate cake with raspberry filling
LL

11 replies
mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 12

I don't think there is a "quick" answer to your question. Pricing is very tricky and something that is determined by a lot of different factors. What are the going prices for cakes in your area? What sizes are the tiers? Did you use a boxed mix, or did you make it from scratch? How long did you spend on it?...

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 12

What are the sizes of the layers?

But I'm also a bit confused. Did you provide the cake without determining a price in advance?

BethG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethG Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 12

HOw many servings?

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 12

What sizes are the tiers, was it covered in fondant or buttercream? I charge by the slice depending on how many it will feed.

Hopefully the bride want get sticker shock since you didn't nail down a price in advance.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 12

# of servings times about $3.85 sounds reasonable.

rlreynolds217 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 12

Well, it was for a co-worker, and it was my first one, so I really didn't know how to price. The cake is covered in fondant with a buttercream crumb coat. There is a 10" and 8" tier. They only wanted two tiers. Judging by the chart, I believe that it serves 50 people, and there was enough for everyone at the reception (I was there). We didn't determine a price at the begininning, but I was thinking somewhere under $200????

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 12

I would charge about $3.50 per serving...plus delivery....plus a cutting fee. If you had to stay the entire length of the party..I would include an hourly rate * the hours you were there waiting to cut the cake. That is if you did all the above.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 12

Well, that is the first thing that you should do before making a cake is agreeing on a price!!

I personally would have charged at least $216 (for the cake - nevermind all the extras).

If you already told her somewhere under $200, then I think you should stick to that. You don't want this to end in a bad way.

rlreynolds217 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 12

Well, I didn't cut it, but I did deliver it and go buy the cake stand that morning, in addition to helping the restaurant staff set the table up. I think that $3.50 per serving sounds reasonable, and this time I might cut the delivery/set up fee, but if I ever do it again, explicitly state that there is a charge. Thank you, flg22275 and travelingcakeplate!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 12

Make sure you cover the cost of the fondant. I normally make my MMF..but if I was using Satin Ice..I would charge more.

YW!

rlreynolds217 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 12

I tried to make MMF and it was a mess! I used the Wilton fondant (yes, I know...smack me!...hey, I am new at this, still learning the tricks of the trade LOL) and they are not picky people. It was a low fuss event and they adored the cake. I factored in all the cost, and think that I am going to go with about $175 for the cake, and provide them the receipts for everything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%