Cnn's Report Today On "fake Cakes" To Save $$$$

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm by aligotmatt

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #91 of 104

After this whole cake dummy thing, I thought you all would think this is funny.

I met with a bride today, high dollar, country club girl. She wants me to make her whole cake a styrofoam cake and then her 250 servings in the back like a traditional 4 layer cake. Not to save money... She wants it to appear like the cake cutting was magic. lol! She wants to slice on one layer of the cake for the pictures and the cake cutting, then have the cake wheeled to the back and then as soon as it roles into the kitchen staff will come walking out with the cake plated up! She actually used the word magic. I told her it would cost her more to do it that way, and she that was fine, she wants a magic cake! lol!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #92 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I met with a bride today, high dollar, country club girl. She wants me to make her whole cake a styrofoam cake and then her 250 servings in the back like a traditional 4 layer cake. Not to save money... She wants it to appear like the cake cutting was magic. lol! She wants to slice on one layer of the cake for the pictures and the cake cutting, then have the cake wheeled to the back and then as soon as it roles into the kitchen staff will come walking out with the cake plated up! She actually used the word magic. I told her it would cost her more to do it that way, and she that was fine, she wants a magic cake! lol!!

oh like all of her friends are stupid and wouldn't figure THAT one out .... as if they'd be impressed anyway! When no one acts all surprised and shocked at the speed of light cutting thing, is she going to go around and ask them "did you notice how the cake appeared like MAGIC?"" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #93 of 104

OMG! you have me cracking up at this story...and then indydebi just added to it! LMAO! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #94 of 104
Quote:

uhhhhhh huh.... (in that oh give me a break, ya right, duh what a dufus tone)

::shakes head::

maybe she should hire a magician skilled in the lady into a tiger trick and haven them do it as the cake into servings trick.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #95 of 104

More than likely if she' like that, her friends are like that & probably her mom too. (Seen some pretty ditzy girls on some wedding reality TV) And no, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the females think it's magic. That may sound cruel, but unless you've known some people like that (and I have) you wouldn't believe it to be true. I actually laughed b/c I can picture her saying it b/c I can picture a high school friend--from years ago-- saying it too.

aligotmatt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #96 of 104

I guess whatever floats your boat... right? Another bride at this country club had them bring in enough servers for each guest so the meal was served synchronized to each guest. I don't know if this one is going for sychronized serving, or just magic cake, but either way I make more money... (she did book me)

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #97 of 104

Have you seen the prices for renting a cake from http://www.cakerental.com/index.html? When you add up the cost of the cake - basic 3 tiered cake (12" tall) $250 + S&H. Who would want to pay all that money for something you can't eat?!?!?! Personally I don't see this as being something that will take over real cake. There are many other items that can be rented for a wedding . . . . a cake is not one of them.

B2B

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #98 of 104

Have you seen the prices for renting a cake from http://www.cakerental.com/index.html? When you add up the cost of the cake - basic 3 tiered cake (12" tall) $250 + S&H. Who would want to pay all that money for something you can't eat?!?!?! Personally I don't see this as being something that will take over real cake. There are many other items that can be rented for a wedding . . . . a cake is not one of them.

B2B

aligotmatt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #99 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bake

B2B

That's for a custom design... you can pick one of the others ones for $150... I don't really get the shipping though, I'm assuming you pay both ways? And then it seems like it's shipped in a sturdy wood box to keep the 'cake' safe... seems like that would add to shipping.

I think I have one of those, 'tell me everything you've ever thought about in your whole life' kind of faces, because my cashier at walmart told me her aunt got married last weekend and she had 3 10" rounds from Sam's and it was only $45 and it had the whipped topping and mmm she just loves the whipped toppping. But they asked for the cake to be colored peach and it was more orange than peach and she was going to go talk to them about that, because the color was wrong... mmhmm

But she had that as her whole display on the floating tiers. I mean, if you really don't have the money and want a cake, and are planning on renting a cake and serving Sam's cake anyway, then save even more money and just display it too. I'm not being sarcastic either. I understand everyone has a different budget...

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #100 of 104
Quote:

my cashier at walmart told me her aunt got married last weekend and she had 3 10" rounds from Sam's and it was only $45 and it had the whipped topping and mmm she just loves the whipped toppping. But they asked for the cake to be colored peach and it was more orange than peach and she was going to go talk to them about that, because the color was wrong... mmhmm

I don't normally read my dh CC posts b/c he couldn't care less, but I had to read this one & he didn't let me down, he laughed pretty hard icon_biggrin.gif . This is toooo funny to us b/c we can't stand Sam's "whipped" topping & my brother's family mmm just loves it! And that's what we'll be getting at my nephews bday in a couple of weeks----yummmm icon_confused.gif . The "color issue" was the cherry on top. I think I would have had to say "well you get what you pay for, you can't expect much for $45"

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:51am
post #101 of 104

I think the whole magic of a decorated cake is that it's.....CAKE. It's hard to do...it has to be baked...it's unstable...it's unpredictable....it isn't a building material. That's what makes it so incredible...it's edible and it's fascinating..."How the heck did they DO that???"

I don't care if brides serve small torted cakes and then cupcakes or have a small regular cake and then sheetcakes. But if I see a beautifully decorated cake and you lead me to believe it's edible...and it's not....what's the point?

Like someone said before...if you are gonna serve it....SHOW it...otherwise what is the point?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #102 of 104

I'm sorry, but brides looking to go the cheap route are not my demographic. I send them packing to WalMart or where ever they need to go to get a cake for $100. That's not my business.

I don't like fake cakes because it's more work for me. If I am going to bake cake for 200, I'd rather just decorate that than make it out of styrofoam. And I have no desire to make and store a bunch of fake cakes that people can rent out.

No one is saying it's tacky to want a fake cake. Just that the message shouldn't be that fake cakes save you money when a custom fake cake will not. They should say you can rent a fake cake, that other people have used, for less than you can get a real cake. That would be factual.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #103 of 104

I've seen fake cakes for rent in wedding shops. If you think of the fancy cake as just another decoration, then why not? But clearly you are choosing from the cakes available rather than getting a styrophone cake made especially for you. It probably would save money to rent one of those and serve sheet cakes. I just wish it would be made clear that renting a styrophone cake is not the same thing as having one custom designed and created to your specifications.

However -- I am curious. I have thought that if I ever got into the business of cake decorating, I would have at least one styrophone cake made in some simple style JUST IN CASE there was a cake disaster and the B&G wanted SOMETHING for pictures.

Also, I love the cake, and I really enjoy the designs, etc etc, but I don't think the cake is essential. It is lovely and desireable, but not essential. I would see nothing wrong with someone choosing to have sheet cakes for dessert rather than a decorated tiered wedding cake. Just like you can forgo tossing the bouquet or other traditions we have come to associate with weddings.

aligotmatt Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #104 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

However -- I am curious. I have thought that if I ever got into the business of cake decorating, I would have at least one styrophone cake made in some simple style JUST IN CASE there was a cake disaster and the B&G wanted SOMETHING for pictures.

I keep a couple dummies decorated for this purpose. I try to keep one just plain white fondant, that way I can grab some ribbon or flowers that match the reception if I need to. I've never needed it for that, but it makes me feel safe icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%