Too Early To Begin Discussing Ossas 08?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 3:42am by moydear77

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #31 of 61

Can we all wear CC hats or ribbons or something so we can recognize and meet one another?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #32 of 61

Last year we were supposed to wear pink shirts with a green ribbon on the sleeve.

It didn't go so well. I kept going up to total strangers in pink shirts and asking if they were members of Cake Central. I got some strange looks and then they'd scurry away from the crazy person!

Sigh....it was a nice try!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #33 of 61

The Umbrella event is a divisional competition. Wedding cake is all on its own. The language of flowers is for wedding. This is my Fourth year competing. I started my entries in May....Which is late for people competing in Wedding icon_smile.gif I encourage everyone to compete. I am doing a sponsorship for a student in Oklahoma. I will down in Tulsa in early August to coach her. If anyone is in the Tulsa area let me know! I would love to meet anyone or have coffee....Teach some cake stuff! The wedding competition is only allowed to those who are Semi Pro, Pro and Master. Loves it! I will be down for 8 days in September as well for the show!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #34 of 61

I haven't started my cake(s)? yet but doing some serious planning and hope to start tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing a sculptured cake and something else, just for fun. Absolutely no where good enough to enter competition and don't qualify anyone. I would love to meet up with some CCer's there.

My hubby is so funny! He loves to go to state fairs (except Arkansas' which is truly bad). When I told him where it was last year, he was all onboard to go. On the way home, he said we're definitely going bad because he can wander around the fair.

We're making a vacation out of it. Taking the motorhome there, staying the weekend then heading back toward Branson and/or Eureka Springs for the rest of the week.

justfrosting Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #35 of 61

Okay, well, It might just be me, but I am going to wear an "Everything I know I learned from CC" T-shirt.

I expect you all to say HI!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #36 of 61

Well I probably will be there Saturday..so pls, pls to those who have seen me in the Youtube video...stop me say hi!!!!!!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #37 of 61

If we shared what we look like, that would give everyone a "heads up" so to speak. Make things a little less stressful when approaching someone. Instead of any random poor sucker at the show and walking away with that person having a "wth was that all about?" look on their face.

I wouldn't dare do it openly...people have children who look through these pages...be like that internet trick ....you're supposed to stare at that one spot...then WHAM! This hideous creature pops up.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

If we shared what we look like, that would give everyone a "heads up" so to speak. Make things a little less stressful when approaching someone. Instead of any random poor sucker at the show and walking away with that person having a "wth was that all about?" look on their face.

I wouldn't dare do it openly...people have children who look through these pages...be like that internet trick ....you're supposed to stare at that one spot...then WHAM! This hideous creature pops up.

True! icon_lol.gif

moydear77 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #39 of 61

We tried this last year. we even tried to do dinner and there was only like five of us! The weekend gets pretty crazy and the event is packed!

all4cake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #40 of 61

Maryann, I would loved to have sat around the table with you all....DH was such a good sport and it was our anniversary....

This year, it falls before our anniversary(25 years!)...last year it did as well but we had dubbed the whole weekend as "celebrating festivities" which included hitting the grocery store across the street and buying them out of Blue Bell ice cream...lol...hush.

Saturday evening/night should be settled enough to get together....I mean as far as set up and what not is out of the way, right.

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:17pm
post #41 of 61

when does everyone leave tulsa? Do you leave sun or stay until monday?

lulus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulus Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #42 of 61

moydear77, I would love to meet up with you and learn cake stuff! I live in Tulsa, and the buid-out for my bakery is in progress right now. Hopefully it will be done by then, and we can all meet up there if everyone is agreeable. I am a better baker than a decorator, so I don't dare enter, but I would love to come cheer CCer's on.

all4cake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #43 of 61

but but but there's a baking challenge...groom's cakes as well!!! Enter that....

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #44 of 61

My friend and I are going, and taking Marina's/Dawn's class afterward. We aren't entering into the competition though. It would be fun to meet CC'ers there!

moydear77 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #45 of 61

I am making two trips down. One in August and one in September. I will be in town for the show for eight days! I am taking Marina's class as well!

all4cake...I completetly understnd! I am actually renting a two story cabin this year! I am planning on having some cake people over to grill and stuff. PM if you are interested!

lulus
Send me a PM if you want to meet up for coffeeicon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #46 of 61

Hubby and I are actually staying all week. We are bringing our motorhome and parking it at a local RV park. We were going to leave on Monday morning but we decided to take all week off since the following Friday (Oct 3) is our 16th wedding anniversary.

Hubby is pushing me to enter and I can't decide what to make!!!

justfrosting Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #47 of 61

Seriously considering having everyone to my house for dinner!!!

justfrosting Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #48 of 61

Seriously considering having everyone to my house for dinner!!!

all4cake Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:06pm
post #49 of 61

jbart! That's one of the ladies I met last year! I am sorry! I have been rummaging through the debris I call a brain trying to remember...I had to resort to pulling up last year's discussion.

trulyscrumptious was the other person I couldn't remember.

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #50 of 61

all4cake I am looking forward to seeing you again. Hope your ann. is great!

all4cake Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #51 of 61

Looks like I may have to buckle down in order to go now. I don't want him to feel bad if we can't so I told him that it wasn't gonna hurt my feelings if it turns out that we can't make it.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #52 of 61

Did anyone get their 2008 OSSAS mailer from Kerry Vincent last week? I was at the ICES convention so I am not sure when it came exactly icon_smile.gif I am getting excited! Is anyone else staying for the2-day class after the show?

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #53 of 61

iamlis, what two day class after the show? Can you give me some info please? Is this in the packet that was sent cause I can't find where I put mine.

iamlis Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #54 of 61

It is on the papers...just a paragraph or so...if they still have room, its a 2 day class with Mirena Souza (sp) and Dawn Nemic (SP?) and they are food network competitors that do amazing gum paste figures and fondant details. I guess they have won more $ on Food Network than any pair combined. I am just excited to work on the gum paste figures, they can make things that are so realistic icon_smile.gif I hope you can get into the class, I know if there's room you can mail a check to Loydene Barrett, she is really nice and will tell you if there's room! Then they hold your checks until Sept. 1, then deposit. I am sure there is more info on the Oklahomasugarartists.com site. I am more concerned about the supply list icon_smile.gif Every OSSAS class, it seems to me have some pretty intimidating lists icon_smile.gif Which makes sense as the class is so cheap icon_smile.gif I love that they have these awesome classes, the class last year with Pat Archibald was able to squeeze me in, then at the last minute, I couldn't stay for the classes, I was so bummed. GOOD LUCK! I hope you can go! It sounds like a great class!

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #55 of 61

OSSAS is the largest sugar arts show - and if you're a decorator anywhere near Oklahoma, this is a must see! You will be blown away by not only the extraordinary talent, but just the number of cakes on display! If you think you "aren't worthy" of entering - think again! You don't have to enter the wedding cake competition, they have many other categories for decorators of all levels, even gingerbread houses, and sugar flowers.

I had been before, but entered last year (jumped right into the wedding cake competition!) and though I did better than expected - it was an awesome experience! I met so many wonderful people, and was so inspired to return again! ...I recently relocated to San Diego, and am still hoping to at least make it back, not sure about transporting a cake! ...we'll see! I'm having a hard time w/ the "Language of Flowers" theme this year... UGH!

iamlis Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #56 of 61

LOL! ALLISON! You moved?? What will Dallas area do without you?? I was in a class with you last October, and pm'd you some questions and you helped me out SO much icon_smile.gif Your cake at OSSAS last year blew my mind icon_smile.gif It was by far my fave, well maybe tied with Rebecca Sutterby's !! LOL! I hope the move was a good thing for you and your family! Are you abole to rent kitchen space, etc. there...(SORRY TO HIJACK THE TREAD BUT ITS CAKESBYALLISON!!)

cakesbyallison Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #57 of 61

Hey Melissa!!
Yes, just moved this summer to SD (love it!!) and am taking the summer off from cakes. I'm going to start looking for a new place probably in September! Thanks so much - I hope to see you at OSSAS! Again, not sure if I'm going to do a cake, but plan on being there! I'm taking the two day class w/ Marina - can't wait!!
Take care!

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #58 of 61

We Miss Allison!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

iamlis Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #59 of 61

LOL, I took your demo Jacque in Orlando! Get ready to have your mind blown...I was sitting NEXT to Kim Morrison (appropriate to be talking about her here!) LOL! She was so nice, I told her she needed to wear a disguise next year icon_smile.gif LOL! Allison is so awesome! I have always wanted to try to make her leapard cake with pink bows! I am turning 30 this year...might have an opportunity there! LOL-of course then i'd have to make my own 30th birthday cake! YIKES! I am looking forward to seeing you all at OSSAS! I am FINALLY going to enter (THE GROOMS CAKE TASTING COMPETITION!) LOL! WIsh me luck-it is my great Aunt Bessie's FAMOUS (LOL) Blue Ribbon Missouri state fair winner-from like 1940! It is really good! And my own truffle recipe icon_smile.gif But I will be drooling over the wedding cakes of course, if only the "Language of Flowers" would scream a specific cake to me, then I would enter. I bet there are going to be some amazing cakes this year and phenomenal sugar blooms!

cakesbyallison Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #60 of 61

Thanks Jacque!! icon_razz.gif

(hope you got some of those cake referrals!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%