Guitar Shaped Cake

Decorating By SANZ Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm by SANZ

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:44am
post #1 of 4

What is the best recipe to use for a cake that needs to be sculpted? I hate to say this but I just use boxed cake mixes for all my cakes but am afraid it might be too moist? Then how or what should I make the handle out of?

3 replies
luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:52am
post #2 of 4

I've made 2 guitar cakes both out of doctored cake mixes. One I used the wilton pan and the other I sculpted.

For the handle of the sculpted one I used cake as well. Then I covered the bottom part that would normally be under the neck of the guitar the same color as the board and then decorated the neck as a guitar would be. That way I got the illusion of the neck being up off the board.

I've read where wome have used styrofoam among other things.

Have you tried a search of the galleries? Lots of people describe how they make stuff and that makes it super easy to decide the best way to do about it.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 4

Because you like to use box mixes, try the White Almond Sour Cream or WASC cake in the recipe section. It's moist but dense and easy to carve. I usually use a more dense cake depending on the shape, but the guitar cuts pretty easily with almost any recipe. Try this though...many people here swear by it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for you suggestions. I actually searched on CC and someone suggested using rice krispie treats for the handle. There is a cake store by me that sells the extra large blocks of them. Let you know how it went.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%